Blood elves and their knowledge about fel magic

How did the eyes of all Blood Elves turn green then? Now some are becoming blue again because they stopped using fel magic, but it was mandatory at some point. Are all the gigantic fel crystals present in Quel’thalas basic decoration accessories?

Exposure to the burning crystals which were used to sustain their architecture (giant gravity defying spires and floating buildings). The Dath’remar shrine gives the player character the creeps because of it. Consuming fel was never mandatory,

2 Likes

The same way the orcs skin turned green.

They spend time around Fel magic, but that doesn’t mean they should know it was Fel magic doing it to them.

Becoming blue again because the Light-Sunwell is flushing out any corruptive Fel magic from their system.

Never was and… ahh Aerilen was faster :frowning:

1 Like

Well technically their eyes are turning gold, because of another kind of influence xD

4 Likes

There are both mages and warlocks in Silvermoon draining magic from the green crystals in openly accessible spaces.

When you’re in the very same faction as the orcs and let them walk around in your city, how clueless do both Blood elves and Orcs have to be?

1 Like

Those are mostly just Warlocks. Summoning demons and wielding fel magic and already being corrupted by it, they were allowed to drain it directly, even if still in small doses. I’m not sure the Warlocks are openly allowed to do that nowadays though…probably not :sleeping:

Mages and priests were kept on a tight leash even back then, instead. They were only allowed by Rommath to drain arcane magic from magical crystals and creatures. Absorbing fel was a no-no for anyone who wasn’t in Outland under Kael’thas (as I said, except the Warlocks of Silvermoon).

And the general population not only didn’t know anything about fel crystals being used to power the buildings, they likely didn’t know anything about M’uru used to power the Blood Knights… troublesome stuff like this had to be kept secret or they would likely complain/rebel, but in order for Quel’thalas to be rebuilt and return powerful it was necessary.

One mage is depicted to be researching due to draining, doing the craft animation and then going to a book case. On loop. The other example is in the warlock sanctum, underground, in a street colloquially known as “murder row”.

I’ll reword it for you. There’s not a single written mention of fel, in any of the quest text or intractable NPCs.

1 Like

It’s possible the crystals were always green, in some art they are depicted as green since the foundation of Silvermoon. Evil eyes are not something that a common person would notice, and probably is just an artistic choice by Blizzard. Those crystals should have not eyes at all considering the fact that there was “only” fel magic inside them, not real demons. Furthermore during Legion I think even the crystals used by the Legion themselves are only green with no eyes either.

And apparently even the Blood Elf player was unaware of them…I recall in the starting quests in Sunstrider Isle the Blood Elf player feels an “ominous and dark” feeling all over the isle (probably the crystals themselves), but it’s never actually explained what it is.

1 Like

“Collective denial” The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Not really. If we combine what we’re told in the likes of the old Warcraft Encyclopedia with how QT is presented then it all goes hand in hand quite well. I’d argue that it’s intentional that there isn’t a mention of it and there are NPC’s that are baffled by the effects going on by what we assume to be from the burning crystals.

“Our efforts to reassert control over the isle in the time following the destruction of the Sunwell have been a challenge. I suspect that whatever foul source is corrupting the isle is at the heart of it all; this sliver may be of some aid in uncovering what’s really going on.” - Quest: Tainted Arcane Sliver

Does Arcanist Helion know what’s in the Burning Crystals? Should he? Or is he lying to the PC? I’d say that the entire zone has two perspectives. The superficial, in-game story of the plebs being weirded out by eerie sensations and confusion at why wildlife is going berserk or arcane elementals are being taints. All because there’s a very hush-hush secret around what’s in the burning crystals. And what we, the player, know by combining things like the Warcraft Enyclopedia, quest text and BotHB etc.

Throughout Eversong there’s two impressions you can get because the storytelling is told on two levels. What the quest givers tell you and what you can see. It is a running theme in Sunstrider Isle and Eversong that while everything is beautiful on the surface, there is a lot of ugly and danger beneath.

I mean, going by your visual cues argument, surely that the two instances of demons that we have in Silvermoon is proof enough that they are not publically accepted (even if we didn’t have the encyclopedia saying they weren’t)?

It wasn’t meant to be explained in Blood of the Highborne, that was always primarily a blood knight novella. He was working on a Kael story circa WoD. Though he left Blizzard and it was half-finished.

https://twitter.com/mickyneilson/status/430501899515609088

He has since made tweets about he’s willing to finish it if blizzard hires him. He had also said that the book was meant to go into the House of Sunstrider (the two generations between Dath’remar and Anasterian) as well as the entire situation with fel magic and the general populace, I doubt it will ever get finished.

Doubt the current CDEV team has any interest in closing old gaps in the narrative that aren’t relative to their insipid, cosmic plot.

2 Likes

I get sick and tired of this subject regarding blood elf warlocks and fel magic.

In Silvermoon, the Elves did not know the full scope of Kael’s madness and selling his people to the Legion.

Warlocks as a whole were a niche thing in Silvermoon. Only a few took up the art. The main “arcane” change that the Elves undertook was changing to using Fire and Arcane Magic, over Frost. (Yes, Arcane Magic as it is, because of the mana bombs and in Quel’Thalas - Mana Tapping.)

Now, let’s go further - the Warlock tailoring shop was closed by Silvermoon Authorities. This has not done the Sanctum Guild any favors and I can’t see new acolytes flocking to them.

In the main, Blood Elves, like their Elves counterparts likely have knowledge on Fel magic, but no elven group has achieved the levels of the Orc Warlocks.
I’d say, Void Elves and Satyr are the most skilled “elves” with Warlock based magic, whilst Blood Elves and Nightborne take the title for being some of the skilled in mage-based magic.

That’s because Blood Elves never had a main warlock character (either “good” or evil in the story) that can be compared to Gul’Dan. If Kael’thas or at least Rommath had completed the “transition” from Blood Mages to Warlock, I think Blood Elves Warlocks would be at least as famous and/or powerful as the orcish ones. Especially Kael’thas after he joined the Legion, and especially after his Tempest Keep defeat, he should have become a full-fledged Warlock, it just makes that much sense.

But even leaving main characters aside, I think generally it still depends from the specialization branches…Orcs are certainly better at Demonology. Blood Elves warlocks in my opinion are better in Destruction and probably Affliction too. That’s because as I said even Blood Elven characters who were not technically warlocks (like fire mages or Blood Mages) could be able to wield fire and fel magics and learn and use some demonic spells anyway in an excellent and effective way in the lore, and they did this in quite short time after the Third War. So if we take the Warlocks just as a “pure” DPS fire/fel/shadow caster like Mages or Priests, a Blood Elf is generally better than an Orc. At summoning and commanding demons, Orcs are better though.

Also Blood Elves warlocks lore-wise are better at cleansing themselves from fel magic anyway, in time…if not, Blizzard would have not given them the possibility to now have blue or golden eyes, and the Blood Elf Warlocks would be stuck with the Demon Hunters who have to keep their green eyes at all costs. Meanwhile Orc Warlocks can’t get their original pure brown skin of Mag’har back though…

2 Likes

They can’t be as famous because they’ve only got 1 NPC to speak of, who was part of a greater organisation.

The only elf warlock that I can think of, who is of known status would be Xavius.

Aside from him, Elves across the board (barring the lowborne night elves) likely make decent warlocks, but they are far from the best and far from being well known.

Yes, we do have a few Highborne Night Elf Warlocks dotted around, but how well known were they? Literally you had the night elf who was leader of the Shadow Council in Darkshore.

Blood Elves and Nightborne are probably on par, for being the at the same skill level of Warlock. They had both had Fel-based cousins (Felbloods and Felborne.)
Void Elves - hard to say, but likely in the same region as the Elves of Silvermoon and Suramar.

But that same argument could be used for the Shen’dralar Highborne, who were draining fel magic off a demon, but had no visible signs of fel corruption. No green eyes and they also weened themselves off relying on the demon’s magic.

That’s not a true comparison though. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

Orc Warlocks are former Shamans, who communed with the elements. The Elves of Azeroth (Blood, Void and Nightborne) are all former Mages.
And - let’s not forget - the entire destruction of Draenor was caused by Orc Warlocks.

Look - what I’m saying is that the elven warlocks aren’t bad - far from it, but they just aren’t amazing either. They don’t have the numbers to make anything unique for them. Most Blood Elf and Nightborne Warlocks were part of the Legion anyway and they were killed.

We’ve seen of recent, that the Elves’ views on fel magic is not one that is pleasant. That’s both Lor’themar and Thalyssra.

If we truly want to see an elf warlock who was the “real deal” then Xavius is probably our man. This is why I have said that Satyrs are probably the only “elf” like race that is known for being Warlocks.
Not even Naga are known for using fel magic. Only a small tribe who decided to leave the side of Azshara.

And like I told Kalibas on his various “Night Elf Mage” threads and “let’s change Blood Elves from Arcane Mastery to Fel Mastery” - you can absolutely play a Blood Elf Warlock or a Nightborne Warlock…but it’s not a big thing. It’s a niche thing for both. That can be grand and it adds a hidden layer, but when it comes to:

Blood Elves - The core areas are the Magisters (Mages), Farstriders (Hunters) and Blood Knights (Paladins.) Everything else, barring DK, DH and Monk, is a smaller sector of the blood elf core areas.
Nightborne - Despite not having any named branches within their society, we know that a lot of their life is dedicated to being Mages, with some being Warriors and Hunters (Nighthunters, I believe.)
Indeed, this Nightborne Priest isn’t likely a huge part of the Shal’dorei society.

Monks are prominent among the Blood Elves?

No, what I mean is:
Blood Elf Death Knights, Demon Hunters and Monks aren’t part of the core sectors of Silvermoon society.

Blood Elf Warriors and Rogues could be part of the Farstriders
Blood Elf Priests could either be part of the Magisters or Blood Knights.
Blood Elf Warlocks are likely a smaller group of the Magisters.

The remaining 3 have nothing to do with those core 3 sections (Farstriders, Magisters, Blood Knights.)

Demon Hunters are with the Illidari - also shared with the night elves.

Death Knights are part of the Ebon Blade.

Monks - not sure. Likely part of the Pandaren schools. We did see a high elf monk trainer at the main monk base.

Not so sure about that theory, especially for the rogues but I can’t debunk it

Why? Priests aren’t mages and existed long before the Blood Knights were even invented. Blood Elven priests are most likely their own order since they pray to the Sunwell and worship it like it was a god. This influential order for all Quel’dorei, not just the Sin’dorei, is most likely its own entity. Saying that Blood Elven priests are a part of the Blood Knights makes as much sense as saying that the Elune priestesses are part of the Wardens.

A large portion of the Priesthood became Blood Knights, with Liadrin as their Matriarch.
Now, the Blood Elf Priests of TBC weren’t “holier than thou” people - they were as dark as the Blood Knights, with more delving into shadow magic.

Now, with the Sunwell back - it does make sense for more Priests and Blood Knights to work together, with the latter being more of a “blade of the light” whilst the former is more “worshipper of the light.”

Now, some could also be part of the Magisters, since the Priest’s library is within the Sunfury Spire, close to the Blood Elf leadership.

Depends on the Blood Elf Priest, in question.

Rogues are typically called “Pathstalkers.” Their isn’t much to note about them, except this:
*https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Rogue_races#Blood_elf_rogues*

For Warriors, Lor’themar is considered a -part- Blood Elf Warrior and he was part of the Farstriders.
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Warrior_races?so=search#Blood_elf_warriors

Quel’dorei priests have been important since Warcraft 3 and even joined Arthas, Jaina and Uther to fight the Scourge on the way to Hearthglen. Diminishing the importance of their order because of paladins that were created years later in TBC doesn’t make any sense. To go back to my example, all Wardens are previous Elune priestesses, that doesn’t change the fact that these two entities are separate. There is no reason why Blood Elven priests and Blood Knights wouldn’t work the same way

But we’re not talking about the Quel’dorei Priests any longer.

Those Priests who remained in Silvermoon and took up the name “Sin’dorei” - a large number of them became Blood Knights, as they saw the Light had failed them, so they took it from M’uru.
Priest and Paladin alike.

High Elf Priests continue doing their own thing - that’s fine, they do them.
We’re specifically talking about the Sin’dorei Priests and the changes they went through. Clearly, the Quel’dorei Priests didn’t go through as much change as the Sin’dorei Priesthood.

I knew you’d say that, but your reasoning is based on numbers that do not officially exist. It’s an approximation that you’re making in your head canon