Bought both the Priestess' Moonsaber and Bloodthirsty Dreadwing mounts before the patch 8.1.5 fix and wasted 750 Medals

I have bought both the [Priestess’ Moonsaber] mount for 750 [7th Legion Service Medal]s on my Alliance character, and the [Bloodthristy Dreadwing] mount for 750 [Honorbound Service Medal]s on my Horde character before the mounts were fixed in patch 8.1.5.

I generally go for the most expensive rewards first (e.g. the 1000 Dubloon mount, the 750 Medal mounts, 500 Polished Pet Charm pet etc.) and then work my way down.

While saving up for the expensive mounts, it was discovered by others that most of the [7th Legion Service Medal] and [Honorbound Service Medal] rewards would also teach the other faction’s equivalent when bought (Krolusk mount, heirlooms, transmog cloaks). The exceptions were the toys and pets, these would not teach the other faction’s equivalents. At the time, it was expected that the Moonsaber and Dreadwing mounts would teach the other faction’s equivalent, just as the Krolusks did.

As I am quite an active player and made sure I did most Incursions/Warfronts/DailyWorldQuests, I was one of the early buyers of these mounts. To my (and a few others’) surprise, the Moonsaber and Dreadwing did not behave in the same way as the Krolusk mounts.

At the time when I bought both of these mounts, learning the Priestess’ Moonsaber or the mount would not teach the other faction’s equivalent (the Bloodthirsty Dreadwing) and vice versa. It was like that for months and it was not communicated that it would be changed. As of patch 8.1.5, it was ‘fixed’ so that learning one of the mounts would teach the other faction’s equivalent. I had already bought both of these mounts at that time, therefore I wasted a lot of time and effort.

I am very disappointed for all the time I wasted on getting both mounts, only to see this issue being ‘fixed’ shortly after. The long grind was already not that fun to begin with, and this issue made the experience even worse.

I know that I am not the only one that has experienced this, judging Wowhead and Reddit comments. The frustration and disappointment are real, and I am looking for the lost Medals to be compensated in some way.

Try making ticket in-game for refund, there is still hope.

I did, and got the following:
A Game Master resolved your ticket, and left the following response (left out my name and the GM’s name):

Hello X, I’m Game Master Y and i just got your ticket. I hope you are having a good day, thanks for contacting us about the problem with the two faction mounts bought and thanks for your patience while waiting for its resolution. As a player myself I perfectly understand your point infact I am one of the players that like you bought both the factions mounts with medals. At the moment developers have not decided if they are going to provide compensation for this issue or not and until they provide a communication both to us and to the player base we are unable to take any action. Players are sharing this feedback on the official forums so you should do the same and for now be patient while the issue is being investigated. There will be for sure an official message both on the support pages and the forums as soon as possible I hope this clarifies the situation for you, the reasons behind your contact are clear and you did the right thing to reach us. I want to thank you for your patience and understanding X and wish you all the best. You are a very good, passionate and loyal player and it was an honor for me to assist you Have a good day Kind Regards

I am not quite sure what to think of this. Before making this post I checked on this forum and the US forum and could not find a similar topic. I can imagine that there are a few people that are in the same situation, but have not noticed this issue yet.

I have shared my story and will wait for now, but I can’t say I was happy with the response.

Well better now with hope than being hopeless without taking any action, don’t you think?

Hey Ironrage,

I understand this is a frustrating situation, but we do not have any information on this either at this point. As the Game Master mentioned, the developers are looking into this. If we receive an update on this, we will let you know here.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

I understand that you, personally, do not have the answer yet.

But whoever decided to “fix” this (development team) should have known issues like Ironrage’s would surface, and should have made sure it’d be known what to do with those.

How is it a good policy to wait for complaints instead of proactively refunding the Medals when you notice that one Account has bought the (equavalent) mount for each faction before the patch got released which “fixed” this issue.

Even if they decided to not refund anything at all, the answer should have been there the moment the fix got released. And that shouldn’t have taken any significant additional time.

I logged on my Horde character today and found out it was refunded 750 Honorbound Service Medals. A nice surprise! I did not get any notification that this had happened (no in-game mail, no email, no ticket response), and I hadn’t seen any word on this on the forums, site or tweets.

As communication is so very important (specially during this day and age), I would like to ask you to spread awareness for this matter. I’m sure this was not a very common issue, but it was very demotivational for those involved. A simple and small explanation in the ‘hotfixes update’ list would probably suffice. It would most likely uplift some spirits and it would generally be regarded as a gesture of good will.

Something like: “Fixed an oversight where the Priestess’ Moonsaber and Bloodthirsty Dreadwing mounts would not teach the opposite faction’s equivalent. Players that bought both factions’ mounts before the fix were refunded 750 Medals on the last character that bought one of the two mounts.”

Thank you for reading, listening and acting upon the issue!