Brainstorm: What Faction Would You Add?

Greetings, members of the WoW community!

I was playing WC:3R (yeah, sue me!) when I began the mission “The Dark Lady.” In case you do not remember, this mission depicts the battle between the budding Forsaken and Varimathras. In order to achieve victory, Sylvanas used her banshees to possess many leaders of rival groups in the region, such as the bandit lord Blackthorn and the ogre leader Mug’thol. As we know, Mug’thol freed himself from this possession via the Crown of Will and is still alive in lore, commanding his ogres from Alterac to harass the downhill lands.

But I always wondered about the canon fates of the other leaders: Blackthorn, the Murloc Puddle-Lord and the forest troll chieftain Zul’rogg. Snarlmane died, so a new leader came to power in my mind. So I began thinking of an idea that I’d like to see added at a future point, a new faction.

Note: all info concerning characters is headcanon and does not reflect actual lore!

My idea is that when Sylvanas crossed over to the Shadowlands, the other leaders were also freed from their banshee possession by Sharlindra (the banshee that the Crown of Will was given to after it was taken from Mug’thol) to show that the Forsaken were not tyrants. The formerly possessed leaders went to strike out on their own, eventually joining Mug’thol in Alterac and forming a large faction of their own: the Blackridge Mercenaries!

Co-lead by Mug’thol and Blackthorn, these mercenaries offer up their services to the highest bidder. Establishing themselves in their new large Mercenary Camp within the ruins of Alterac, players will be able to hire a mercenary for the day from the various subfactions that make up the Blackridge: the ogres, forest trolls, bandits, gnolls and murlocs.

Like the WoD follower system, completing quests and killing creatures with a follower will grant reputation with the subfaction involved, but only via completing quests will reputation with the Blackridge themselves be earned. These mercenaries are very difficult to trust anyone since their encounter with Sylvanas, but it can be earned with enough time (and coin). Earning their trust will be greatly rewarded: each subfaction can offer up its own unique cosmetic transmogs, pet, mounts and similar, but you need to earn the favour of Mug’thol and Blackthorn themselves to reap the greatest of these rewards.

Subfactions:

Mossflayer Survivors: Zul’rogg was fortunate to have been sent away from the deeper Plaguelands that he and those that followed him did not succumb to the ill fortunes of his main tribe, but his enslavement was by no means any better. Now free, this bitter chieftain and his followers now has to rely on the Blackridge to live any sort of life.

Puddlewaders: The Puddle-Lord was seen as useful by Sylvanas against Varimathras, the murlocs being deadlier than most assume. Eager to scavenge for treasure and more territory, the Puddlewaders have joined the Blackridge.

Scratchfur Pack: Since Snarlmane was raised as an undead and joined the Rot Hide gnolls, a strong survivor known as Scratchfur rallied the survivors and joined up with the Blackridge to continue to pillage and loot.

Blackthorn Bruisers: Blackthorn’s personal debt collectors, these rough bandits will come to collect from any that owe them, or kill whoever pays them well.

Ridgebreakers: These are some of Mug’thol’s favoured warriors. They will do as he commands for freeing them from Sylvanas, and don’t need much convincing to break some heads.

3 Likes

Example followers and abilities:

Kil’zaka: A young trapper out to prove himself, Kil’zaka will flay the flesh of anyone that lines his pocket with coin. Abilities: Net: Root a target in place for 5 seconds. 20 Second cooldown. Axe Throw: Throw an axe, causing the target to bleed for X damage over 8 seconds. 12 Second cooldown. Passive: Recklessness: Gains 1% attack speed for every 2% health the player is missing.

Jahn’haba: A high priest of Zul’rogg’s band, Jahn’haba can call upon the loa to strike down his foes and empower his allies. Abilities: Fireblast: Blast an enemy for X damage and deals X damage every second for 4 seconds. 10 Second cooldown. Inner Fire: Buffs the player, increasing damage and Haste by 10% for 12 seconds. 45 Second cooldown. Passive: Voodoo Shuffle: The player cannot be slowed below 70% movement speed.

Brackenfin: A notorious rogue, Brackenfin favours stealth and rusty blades to acquire meals for the Puddlewader tribe. Abilities: Rapid Strikes: Slash the enemy three times rapidly for X damage each. 12 Second cooldown. Rusty Cuts: Reduce target attack speed by 25% for 5 seconds. 15 Second cooldown. Passive: Scavenger: When an enemy is killed, heal player and self for X.

Barfgargle: This unfortunate murloc drank some of the tainted water of the Plaguelands. It didn’t fully turn him undead, but left him disfigured and mutated. He now seeks a target for his suffering. Abilities: Vomit: Deal X damage to a target and stuns them for 3 seconds. 10 Second cooldown. Taunt: Taunts the enemy to attack Barfgargle. Passive: Pox Burst: Can spawn pools of plague when hit that last 5 seconds. Enemies in the pools take 10% more Nature damage.

Fleahide: This gnoll poacher makes a living hunting game, delighting in using his poisoned arrows to make them weak for an easy kill. Abilities: Howl: Increases Fleahide’s attack speed by 100% for 5 seconds. Poisoned Bolt: Poison an enemy, reducing movement speed and healing done by 20% for 4 seconds. Passive: Poacher: Fleahide can find crafting materials on the corpses of slain enemies.

Muzzlefang: This gnoll warden discarded his ball and chain for a simple axe, but said weapon still crackles with lightning that is eager to fry his foes. Abilities: Lightning Whirl: Strike nearby enemies for X damage, dealing more damage for every enemy nearby, up to 5 nearby enemies. 20 Second cooldown. Whack: Stun an enemy for 5 seconds. 15 Second cooldown. Passive: Beatdown: Muzzlefang deals 50% extra damage to stunned enemies.

Dela Irespell: A renegade wizard, Dela was never content with the Kirin Tor’s morals. She now serves Blackthorn to earn him coin, as well as some for herself. Abilities: Frostbolt: Deals X damage and slows an enemy by 20% for 4 seconds. 4 Second cooldown. Arcane Power: Mark an enemy with an arcane rune. Taking damage has a chance to detonate the rune for X damage to the target. Passive: Arcane Brilliance: Player gains 5% increase to main stat.

Robby Hamfist: A Syndicate defector, Robby earned a reputation with Blackthorn as an effective bruiser who can fix any problem with his spiked shield. Abilities: Bruising Slam: Cause an enemy to take 5% more damage for 20 seconds. Can stack 4 times. 10 Second cooldown. Taunt: Taunt the enemy to attack Robby. 6 Second cooldown. Passive: Debt Collector: Robby can find bonus gold on Humanoids, increasing gold drops by 25%. He keeps the rest though!

Vur’golg: A veteran ogre mage, Vur’golg can swing their mace as well as they can cast a spell. Abilities: Bloodlust: Increases Vur’golg’s Haste by 30% for 20 Seconds. Player receives half the benefit. 120 Second cooldown. Purge: Remove a buff from an enemy or a debuff from an ally. 20 Second cooldown. Passive: Twinsanity: Vur’golg’s twin heads bickering reduce enemy cast speed by 20%.

Urdugg: A rather nasty ogre brute, Urdugg can cleave a foe in two for the right price. Abilities: Cleave: Deal X damage to all enemies in front of Urdugg. 8 Second cooldown. Fearsome Roar: Urdugg roars, causing nearby enemies to be frozen in fear for 8 seconds. Damage will break the effect. 30 Second cooldown. Passive: Ogre Might: Player takes 10% less Physical damage.

1 Like

Rewards: Now everybody wants some rewards! Well, each faction will have its own rewards. Here’s some examples:

Mossflayer Survivors:

Voodoo Totem: Toy: Put down a voodoo totem that shows the true power of voodoo! Lasts 30 seconds. 5 Minute cooldown. Requires Honoured.

Dinky Dire Troll: Companion: This little dire troll is the result of a voodoo accident involving a broken tiki mask and a drunken witch doctor. His rage is still as great, though. Requires Revered.

Loapriest Garb: Grants the Loapriest Ensemble transmog appearance. Required Revered.

Trapper Garb: Grants the Trapper Ensemble transmog appearance. Required Revered.

Mossflayer Skyterror: Mount: The Mossflayers managed to capture and retrain several dragonhawks to serve them as mounts, seeing them as being liberated in Jan’alai’s name as well as a mockery to the elves who hounded them.

Puddlewaders:

Puddle Shovel: Toy: Dig up a puddle, allowing Fishing at the target location. The pool lasts 5 Minutes. 1 Hour cooldown. Required Honoured.

Murloc Mutant: Pet: Many murloc tadpoles were twisted by the waters of the Plaguelands. The Puddle-Lord still views them as his children, and saved them from being cast out to die. Required Revered.

Puddlewader Arsenal: Grants the Puddlewader Arsenal Weapon appearances. Required Revered.

Murloc Deepdweller: Mount: This particular murloc finds solace in deeper waters. Maybe he’ll take you with him? Requires Exalted.

Scratchfur Pack:

Gnoll Whistle: Toy: Blow the whistle, mimicking the warcry of a gnoll. 1 Minute cooldown. Required Honoured.

Scratchfur Pup: Pet: This little guy wants to grow up to be just like you! Is that really a good thing? Required Revered.

Scratchfur Hoard: Unlocks the Scratchfur Hoard Weapon transmog appearances. Required Revered.

Scratchfur Warhound: Mount: The Scratchfur pack have trained the local wolves of Lordaeron as attack dogs for many years. This one would gladly take you with it to slaughter. Required Exalted.

Blackthorn Bruisers:

Target Dummy: Toy: Put down a target dummy that lasts 5 minutes. Can be attacked. Required Outdoors. 1 Hour cooldown. Requires Honoured.

Kobold Recruit: Pet: Even Blackthorn has a softer side, taking in this cute little guy and training him personally. Now he visits Blackthorn’s foes at night. Required Revered.

Stolen Weapons: Unlocks the Stolen Weapons weapon transmog appearances. Required Revered.

Bandit’s Stallion: Mount: Blackthorn’s stablemasters have trained horses to be as cruel and greedy as he is, often competing for food and the best armour. But they still know who the big dog is. Required Exalted.

Ridgebreakers:

Ogre Skull: Toy: Throw an ogre skull at another player. If they have room in their backpack, they will catch it and throw it back. 1 Minute cooldown. Required Honoured.

Second Head: Toy: Put a trophy head on your shoulder, because why not? Required Honoured.

Yeti Youngling: Pet: The Abominable Greench gave the Crushridge one too many rigged presents, so they took one of his young in retaliation. Requires Revered.

Massive Warswine: Mount: These giant boars are favoured for sniffing out plants beneath Alterac’s thick snow. Getting them to not eat what they find is the hard part. Required Exalted.

Blackridge Mercenaries:

Littlefoot: Pet: His feet may not be big, but he can still kick you where it hurts. Requires Revered.

Banditlord’s Regalia: Unlocks the Banditlord’s Regalia transmog set. Required Revered.

Ogre Lord’s Regalia: Unlock the Ogre Lord’s Regalia transmog set. Requires Revered.

Subdued Sasquatch: Mount: Blackthorn wanted to make his might known to Mug’thol, so he took his bandits and began to subdue the mighty sasquatch that can be found around Alterac. Requires Exalted.

Dargonn: Mount: Dargonn always stuck out as a rather small Ogron after he fled Draenor and joined the Crushridge ogres. But he always loved giving rides to those smaller than him. Requires Exalted.

Banditlord’s Arsenal: Unlocks the Banditlord’s Arsenal weapon transmog appearances. Requires Exalted.

Ogre Lord’s Arsenal: Unlocks the Ogre Lord’s Arsenal weapon transmog appearances. Requires Exalted.

And that’s the basics of the faction I would add. What factions would you guys add to the game? I’d love to hear your ideas!

It’s nice to see all the effort and such in the posts. However, the question I have is “should they be playable, or just NPCs?” Also, how should the players interact with them?

And when it comes to what would I add, I am a person who prefers to be sure that things are up to date first, before adding anything else. So, IMO there is a whole lot of work needed to be done to reflect how the playable races react and change because of the events happening in the game world.

Then we have a whole lot of other factions in the wild. Which would need some update and more participation in the game events.

And after that I would start thinking about the different leftovers, be it based on class halls, enemies / friends we’ve met throughout years, etc. There is a lot of them. A lot of to tell from Defias and Scarlets, to arakkoa, ogres, nagas, etc.

So, yeah. New is nice, but there is so much work to do even with what we have, that I would rather see more depth / details about why alliance and horde are different, what makes them different, what different ideas and takes on the events happening they provide, etc.

(and no, it’s not meant to criticize your idea, or to say that nothing new should ever be added; just pointing out that I personally would go in depth with what is there already)

gl hf

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I can udnerstand that. I simply wanted a merc mechanic in the game, and to expand on lore figures that we know are alive/fate yet unknown. But thanks for the imput!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.