Brainstorming character concept for nightborne priest

Hello there. As the title suggests, I’ve been toying around with the idea of a nightborne priest in RP, but I couldn’t find any definitive explanation for how they’re even a thing.
Did they just learn the Light and shadow off of blood elves and forsaken?
Or are they just mages getting access to the Light by tapping into the Sunwell?

Those’re my two personally most favoured theories, but I’d like to hear what others can think of. From the two, my problem is that it ties my hands into making the character a novice priest who only really started practicing after Suramar was freed.

So if I want to make an at least somewhat confident and competent priest, how would I go about it? One other thing I’ve seen brought up was Elune worship, but I think the entire priesthood left Suramar to fight the Legion before the big arcane bubble was made. And given how much their culture focuses on arcane magic, I doubt they would have reestablished the priesthood from scratch.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the source is on that one.

They’re certainly more secular than the society co-led by functional popes of moon goddess and nature respectively but still decorate their city with crescents and several npcs express reverence of the Tel’anor graveyard.

I’d say their priests are of Elune but that they have their own ideas and customs developed in isolation. The priesthood isn’t on top in what seems to be a magocratic, oligarchic autocracy but they do exist or the nightborne couldn’t be priests at all.

War of the Ancients trilogy.

And yeah, yeah, people don’t consider Richard A. Knaak books canon because he’s thought to be a crappy writer, but seriously, it’s a WoW book.

I’m just thinking about starting a Nightborne Priestess for RP, here is my idea for my new char, perhaps you could start on a similar path.

Neldryss grew up in a lower middle class family in Suramar. She was not particularly talented in the arts of the arcane, but was a fast learner, and an intelligent, serious child.

As she grew up, she got a job as an office clerk through her father’s connections, compiling and editing official documents for some lower-ranking nobles.

The job was mind-numbing and monotonous, but she earned good enough arcwine rations with it for a semi-decent existence, though she knew she would be stuck with it all her life and never get the wealth, influence, and luxury of nightborne nobles.

She was a voracious reader in her free time and was fascinated with ancient history. The times when her ancestors, the night elves had the whole world not just this bubble-city. When there was a thing called “money” which could be exchanged for everything, not just the arcwine rations. When elves still ate real food, when the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars shone in the sky above, when people had faith in Elune and worshipped the Goddess.

The whole concept of religion fascinated her. Although there remained some quasi-religious traditions and holidays, and occasional expressions invoking Elune in Suramar culture, the times of attending rituals, regular prayer, and belief in the grace of Elune was long gone.

After the invasion of the Legion and the opening of the Bubble, she set out to explore the world, and soon found herself in the capital of her new allies, the Horde.

One day, while walking the streets of Orgrimmar she encountered a Goblin Priest who was enthusiastically preaching about the Light and the ancestors. The Goblin told passers-by that if you believe in the Light and devote yourself to it, remember your ancestors who dwell within the Light and make sacrifices to them, and try converting more people to the Light, the Light will reward you with happiness and prosperity in life.

Fascinated, Neldryss got a book about the Light from the Goblin and that night in her Orgrimmar dwelling she lifted a goblet of arcwine, a plate of food, and some coins to the sky and tried praying to the Light and her ancestors. She remembered her great-great-grandparents, recalled what she read about the first Bubble-dwelling Suramarians, and even tried thinking about the pre-Sundering Night elves. She had good and positive thoughts about all of these now-dead elves who now hopefully fused with and dwell within the Light after their deaths.

Then she made her deal: She will worship the Light and her ancestors, sacrifice to them, and in return they will give her money and happiness.

As she threw the food and the coins into the fireplace and poured half the glass of wine onto the floor and drank the other half, bright yellowish light enveloped her body and she started floating in the air, having visions of the goodness of the Light, seeing the ghosts of her dead relatives, and filling her with a sense of religious duties. It was one of the best experiences of her life.

As the glow faded she came down to the ground, and felt that the Light embraced her. She started her priestly studies, reading books and visiting priests of the Goblin, Blood Elf, Pandaren, and Tauren race.

She learned about how the Light and its opposite, the Shadow functions, and became a Discipline Priest.

Yeah, that falls into the category of learning the Light from Horde races after the nightborne joined.
It’s definitely the safe, most lore friendly bet you can make, but I’m more into the experienced, elderly type of character,because I enjoy magic teaching and medical RP.

I don’t know if I should try Forsaken or blood elf priest instead for that.

Be an apothecary. The horde’s resident experts on science and surgery. You’ll be everyone’s doting grandpa/grandma and the family physician who just happens to have really, really cold hands.

Of course, people are typically more accepting of being touched by an elf.

1 Like

Yeah, I really can’t stand undead models. I adore the race lorewise, but I just can’t help but cringe at how they look like in game.

And blood elf is just… 70% of Horde RP.

But I’ve been thinking more on how a nightborne priest would work.

So here’s an experimental backstory. The first draft, so to speak.

The character, named Lorthian, would be a pre-Sundering nightborne like Thalyssra.
He was a devoted Elune worshipper and would have become a priest if the gender restrictions weren’t still in place during his time.

His sister, however was permitted to enter the priesthood and became a fairly highly ranked priestess. Instead of becoming jealous of her role, however, Lorthian only got closer to his sibling, admiring her healing powers and treasuring every moment he could spend with her.

He would learn how to conduct most sermons purely from watching and memorize most prayers. Without ever realizing, he had a fairly strong affinity to holy powers. However, he was fairly content in his own line of work, finding a fascination with stories and becoming a librarian, while also publishing a few novels, that, alas hadn’t gained much of a following.

As the Legion came, his sister left to fight in the war and the barrier around Suramar was erected. Over the years, he’s gotten married and had a child/children. The family wasn’t any wealthy, but they didn’t starve most of the time either. However, not long before Thalyssra’s rebellion, they hit a rough patch and his wife was exiled for stealing arcwine. Needless to say, as more and more started to oppose Elisande, Lorthian flocked to the banner of the Dusk Lily as well. His child/children are at this point adults and MIA, living their own lives. Lorth himself had almost no magical affinity in terms of arcane, but he turned out to be pretty handy with a sword, once he was given the basic militiaman’s training.

He made it through the events of Legion just fine, up until his people joined the Horde. To his great diasappointment, as he hoped to find his sister, who, as he found out, could still very much be alive, seeing as Elune’s sisterhood was still up and running.

He didn’t dare make any attempts to contact any night elves, though, and instead decided to go for a wander, ending up at Thunder Bluff and, surprisingly fitting in very well. He learned of a very similar entity to Elune, namely what the tauren worshipped as Mu’sha. Remembering his fascination with holy powers and still believing in his own goddess, while also discovering males could learn to wield such powers as much as females, asking for tutorship seemed like an obvious choice.

Now, according to this, Lorthian is still a rookie priest, but I feel like this could be very much enjoyable to RP. It also allows for other RPers, if they’re making new characters that happen to fit the bill of his sister, his tauren teacher or his kids, to make relations before jumping into their new characters! Which, I actually highly recommend and thoroughly enjoy, making prediscussed relationships.

But as for the backstory, any thoughts? Any holes anyone can poke their fingers through?

1 Like

I like it, and I don’t see any holes, but my view of the Light might be overly simplistic; believe in it, believe your cause is just, and voila, the Light will do your bidding.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.