BREAKING NEWS: WoW current subscriber numbers leaked and exposed at GDC event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHDFgZAuJHU&t=3s

For people that don’t want to watch the video, the current subscriber numbers of WoW is 7.2 million spread across Retail, Season of Discovery, WOTLK Classic, Classic era and Hardcore.

This information was given at the recent GDC (Game Development Conference) event.

5 Likes

My takeaway from this is that if it were not for TBC and Wrath the numbers could possibly be even lower if like he said Legion numbers were there on their own with nothing else to prop them up.

3 Likes

With the current sub count at 7 million, I think:
Retail = 3 million
SoD = 1 million
WOTLK Classic = 2 million
Classic era and Hardcore = 1 million

A wave of people ranting about “That’s mostly Classic propping up Retail” incoming in 3… 2… 1… Oh wait, there’s one here already.

14 Likes

A far cry from some financial report that was posted here on the forums some time back, where AV (pre Microsoft) were claiming 21 million active subscribers. So how do you go from 21m down to 7.8 in less than year ? Gets me thinking those numbers were faked for the buyout but then what do I know.

1 Like

Are you sure it was active subscribers and not active users?

Because in the second ones it counts alts aswell.

Possibly, as I said I am not sure. Perhaps the person who originally posted the extract may do so again.

No it never included alts that I am sure of.

Yes because it tracks how may character logs in game, so for example if you swap from your main to go gather with an alt they count it as 2 users.

Maybe if Punyelf reads this she could repost the extract. But it did not include alts.

There is no source to any actual data. As far as I’m aware the content creator in question just did his best guestimates based on the alleged leaked info he saw.

People also need to remember that the annual reports we’ve seen from AV give MAUs and not subscriber data. Most of us prefer the data as subs but they swapped years ago.

I have seen the tweets taking screenshots from that content creator’s vid:-

4 Likes

I call fake. The source on that YouTube video has hardly been credible for many years.

Why would Blizzard show these numbers, they have no reason to.

Also bear in mind there’s no China WoW now.

1 Like

Indeed the impact of losing a region will definitely hit sub numbers hard and the MAUs.

I’m dubious of stuff with no sources.

If it is real it shows that WoW has a healthy player base, if it’s fake then it’s carry on as usual.

2 Likes

A few months ago Blizzard made a public poll on YouTube asking what game mode people were playing, and if I recall correctly it was 35% retail, 40% SoD, 5% hardcore, and the rest Classic, or something to that effect.

WotLK Classic and Hardcore are the least popular types of WoW.

1. China players were NET EASE subs not Blizzard subs.
  2. The graph depiction of supposed TBC failure, without a commentary on the scandals of 2021 and self-imposing wound to subs from sanctions on everything Russian are misleading. TBC was also killed due to lvl boost and WotLK took a hit from token.
  3. The Dragonflight is a real comeback and should be recognized as such. They did a great recovery with the casual focus.

for future its important to attract new audience and generally younger one (12+).
the inevitable drop out of subs after the winter 25 has nothing to do with the game quality.
they need to strategize on how to solve the issue of the “empty worlds”, may be focus on the solo plays and further implemetation of AI companions, server mergers.

When they reported sub they would include China. Last time i recall they said it was about 50% in China.

I’d say there probably a huge overlap.

2 Likes

I imagine many never saw the poll. I didn’t even know it existed.

We’ve previously seen claims that Retail currently has more players than Classic from a Dev, another ‘leak’.

I take all these things with a pinch of salt.

2 Likes

in other news @puny

im finally renown 40 with plunder

im freeee…

3 Likes

Oh very nice!!

Welcome to the Pirate Club!

2 Likes

Puny and Axran is a freee elf

1 Like

1 Like