[BUG] CATA Hunter Pets Don’t Have Individual Cooldowns

1. Current Behavior

1.1. Description

Currently When you use cooldowns on Pet 1 and you dismiss the pet and summon Pet 2, their cooldowns are shared, the cooldowns should be individual.

1.2. How to Reproduce

1. Tame 2 Monkey Pets
    2. Join an arena and use the special ability bad manner from Pet 1, then dismiss the pet and Summon Pet 2 and notice how the Bad manner cooldown carries over across the different pets.

Source Material:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrS1yty4ryY - Watch how i use Bad manner and Roar of sacrifice on Pet 1, then i dismiss pet and summon Pet 2 and that pets abilities are all on cooldown, cause its shared right now.

In original Cataclysm, Hunter pets would have their own individual cooldowns, so what hunters would do was rotate through different pets using the Dismiss Pet spell, effectively resetting their cooldowns. Hunters could do this until end of season 14 of Mop (Patch 5.4.2) a WHOLE expansion later, almost 2 expansions infact. Where they changed the way dismiss pet works, and removed it because it was no longer a mechanic that was needed inside arenas at that stage of the game for hunters. also note that in Wrath classic they removed pet cooldowns resetting upon dismissing and resummoning the SAME pet in pve / open world. But kept it for PvP play inside Arenas. This mechanic is not needed in PvE but affects PvP immensly for Hunters in Cataclysm.

Now the arguement will be, was this intended in Cataclysm or not? - My honest answer is yes, ofcourse it was as it was a widely known and used mechanic. There is a bluepost about it being removed in the end of MoP ( https://www.bluetracker.gg/wow/topic/us-en/10859655954-dismiss-pet-nerf/ ) But my arguement towards this is that it was only removed in Season 14 of Mop (Patch 5.4.2) near the end of a whole expansion later, almost 2 infact, and hunters worked completely different in MoP compared to Cataclysm, in Cataclysm Hunters were a CC / Support Bot that did no dmg outside of their burst openers with rapid fire and on use trinkets and lacked so many defensives, whereas in MoP hunters had everything. Self healing, Defensives, Damage, great crowd control without the use of pets. So i strongly believe this was the reason that they removed it so late cause when hunters had such a toolkit at their disposal, using the dismiss pet mechanic ontop of it made hunters completely broken in MoP.

Hunters in cataclysm rely heavily on this mechanic to compete at a somewhat decent level, we lack alot of defensives and we dont do damage outside our burst window, we have 1 form of hard cc which is freezing trap, which is easy to stop with any form of cc on the hunter.

Having this Mechanic is absolutely crucial for Hunters in Cataclysm and is a core part of our Kit and how they work in PvP, and sadly without it we do not function in a PvP environment.

If we start straying away from the original Cataclysm experience with such a massive change to the meta, where does it end? If this custom nerf to hunters will go through and completely remove them from the competitive scene, at what point do we stop nerfing other classes that suddently become super good and overpowered such as rogues and mages? Cataclysm PvP is balanced around the fact that hunters have the ability to do this in arena, and theres no denying that. As shown below it was widely used in a variety of tournaments and even from casual players.

2.2 Source Material (gonna get lengthy)
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Patch_5.4.2
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Dismiss_Pet

People also asking for Dismiss Pet changing macros during cata aswell, as it was widely used and known.
https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1165659-Hunter-macro-for-pet-changing?highlight=Monkey+pet+swap

TOURNAMENTS AND PVP VIDEOS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYHkdYeEbE - Focus on bottom right cds you will see a bunch of roar of sacrifice cds and Hunter's cast bar for dismiss pet cast:
GAME 1 = Sac used at 0:42 & Dismiss cast at 1:05 / New Sac used at 1:13 & Dismiss cast at 1:36 / New sac used at 1:39
GAME 2 = Sac used at 2:25 & Dismiss cast at 2:58 / Sac used 3:03 in middle of dismiss cast / Sac used at 3:15 & Dismiss cast at 3:33 / Sac used 4:04
GAME 3 = Sac used at 5:06 & Dismiss cast at 5:20 / Sac used at 5:29 & Dismiss cast at 5:31 / Sac used at 5:52 in middle of dismiss cast / Sac used at 6:11 & Dismiss cast at 6:27 / Sac used at 6:34 in middle of dismiss cast / Sac used at 6:43 in middle of dismiss cast / Sac used 6:51 in middle of dismiss cast / Sac used at 7:24 & Dismiss cast at 7:27
GAME 4 = Sac used at 8:45 & Dismiss cast at 9:15 / Sac used at 9:40 & Dismiss cast at 9:55 / Sac used at 10:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDr2QkDtfw - Focus on bottom left cds you will see a bunch of roar of sacrifice cds and Hunter's cast bar for dismiss pet cast:
GAME 1 = sac used at 2:45 & dismiss cast at 2:47 / sac used at 2:56 & pet abandon at 3:25 / sac used at 3:28 & dismiss cast at 3:49

Even famous players back then was doing it and uploading pvp montages to their youtube channels such as Braindeadly and Tosan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1jk5nxa2nU - Braindeadly Hunter PoV: Notice when he cast dismiss pet and summons a different monkey the cooldowns are reset cause each monkey has their own cooldown timers
Timestamps = 3:20 & 3:46 & 6:21 & 8:01 & 11:32 & 12:24 & 15:37

Even at one point in tournaments Hunters would have 4 Roar of sacrifices on cooldown which means that they used the dismiss pet mechanic 4 times within the span of 1 minute to refresh their pet cooldowns.
20 Likes

This was not intented to be in old cata and was removed later. So its not a bug.
Maybe just remove cd of ros and make it 100% uptime?

3 Likes

There are a billion things that were clearly not intended but which were still core mechanisms of Cata, and which weren’t nerfed at the time due to the impact it would have.

An interesting tidbit showing just how inconsistent and biased this is, is Smoke Bomb. An obvious unintended behaviour is Smoke Bomb breaking stealth of others (which was later fixed in MoP/WoD). This one behaviour Blizzard has decided to put back into Classic Cata with an intentional fix. It wasn’t there initially in the Classic Cata beta when Smoke Bomb was added - they explicitly added it back later on request from popular streamers.

So, why does pets having separate CDs get the “nope not going to bring it back” while Smoke Bomb breaking stealth does?

Bias and double standards.

5 Likes

Would love to hear from the Devs what they are gonna do about this? Been reported since day 1 on beta and nothing has happend about this issue, its literally Hunters core identity in Cata.

2 Likes

For 16 years now I have been a hunter veteran, and never, I repeat, never, we got so short ended like this. Apparently, some of the most „famous“ and „important“ WoW Esport Professional Cyber Athletes are lobbying against the Hunter Class to just make it unplayable/so bad that its not worth it to play in the first place. Hunter is and always was the odd class, still a lot of fun and very strong if played well, for the love of god, please don‘t ruin it just because Ronaldozura said so.

6 Likes

I remember back on launch in 2011, our group wasn’t very good with interrupts. I cycled through 5 moths to help us, really sad we can’t do this now :sob:

5 Likes

Nothing will be changed.There are few builds to show that its “working” by changing em. No staff to do any things. Its copy+paste and 5-10 persons for whole project.

2 Likes

It blows my mind how this mechanic is not implemented Into the game just yet. Its such a crucial part of the Hunter cataclysm experience. Made that expansion stand out in terms of unique gameplay and Overall fun as a class. The identity shift from hunter to be able to have multiple pets, was what made hunter truly special. Not having this mechanic in the Game would give cataclysm Classic a real custom vibe as that would nerf a class Like never before during the Classic era.

5 Likes

help us, we are extinct soon

5 Likes

hunter discrimination will not be tolerated

6 Likes

Keep hunter blizzlike, hunter already has enough problem as is, so nerfing pet cds will make it even worse!

5 Likes

Look into this since this was a core of hunter gameplay to utilize 5 Pet summons

4 Likes

It’s unreal that hunters even have to fight for their basic abilities when comps like MLS dominate in arenas regardless of what happens to hunters. It should be non-negotiable that we get Cataclysm Classic, not Season of Discovery Cataclysm where random class changes from other expansions are added. Please implement individual pet cooldowns asap.

4 Likes

Lmao less than 3 days to releaee and it blows my mind that we haven’t got a word on this. Guess I’ll start prepping another class if I cba. Either that or quitting/unsubbing since cata hunter was what I was looking forward to play.

4 Likes

Its incredible how a syhtty crying rog streamer (cryingzura) says something about this mechanic, and alot of players who have never played cataclysm in their lives agree, just bcz hes “big” streamer, and its even more funny that blizzard agree with this kind of ppl who have never played the expansion, just speechless how this company became so bad.

6 Likes

Can we get some feedback on this? It is getting ridiculous.
I was looking to play hunter on cata for like a year now. After our trap timer was not fixed on Wotlk and we were being demolished by stpdly op warriors, who on top got served SHM on a silver plate, the idea of playing hunter on cata and being an S-tier class for once kept me playing.
My sub ends in a couple of days so want to know if there is any point to stick around. I want to play cataclysm classic, not season of discovery Cataclysm with some random balancing based on a crying people who never played cata before.

6 Likes

Made a hunter, levelled it to 80, grinded justice and honor cap in preparation… only to find out this still hasn’t been fixed nor did we get any blue posts regarding this.
It’s literally integral part of cataclysm arena, specially in 3’s…

3 Likes

All the alt accounts and friends assembled in this post to push the Private Server players agenda is kinda funny. Adapt or die, you class is fine without this.

1 Like

Thats such a weird take, when its literally a part of the class in Cataclysm to utilize 5 pets, dont think anyone here is on alt accounts we just want the same thing.

1 Like

Sure, all the 1 post hunter enjoyers suddenly decided to push this post. If the “class identity” revolves around a bug that has been fixed for every other class in Cata then maybe it is time to shift this “class identity” to performing with shared cooldowns while you can still rotate different pets and not 10 monkeys. It is completely fine as seen on the Beta.