Calia and the Light

I feel that Calia is brought up too often solely in connection with the Forsaken leadership question. While this is certainly part of what is relevant about her, it leaves out a big chunk of Calia’s origin as an undead: The Light and the Naaru.

The Naaru Saa’ra didn’t just ressurect Calia, she was also a mentor figure to her in Before the Storm. When Calia had dreams that duddenly made her question her role in the world, after being fine with it for years, she went to Saa’ra for guidance. And the guidance that this Naaru gave her was was promted her to engange in the acts that led to her demise.

Her ressurction itself is strange as well. It’s a bit hard to believe that the Naaru would just offer to ressurect her because she was such a nice girl, and totally discount the influence the potential heir of Lordaeron might have on the future. We can’t forget that the Naaru act mostly on the basis of light-given visions, which might be imperfect, but not useless. And while it seemed like Calia chose light-made undeath over a full ressurection, this decision might have been foreseeable, or even more or less subtly manipulated.

Of course, all of that wasn’t necessarily Saa’ra’s plan. But Blizzard did sandwich this act between Xe’ra’s forceful acts shortly before, and Yrel’s destructive conquest shortly after. I’d say even if everything here was entirely benevolent, and not manipulative at all, Blizz certainly wants us to have our doubts on that front. And if they want us to have doubts, they want to do something with them, to either confirm or subvert them, both of which would require some story around it.

That’s why I find it almost unavoidable that Calia will have some role in a future plot surrounding the role of the Light. They didn’t just raise her as a normal Forsaken, they tied her deeply to the Light and the Naaru.
She might become just another villain. If they go with “both extremes, Light and Void are eeevil”, Calia could just end up a recognizable villain on the Light side. Her association with the Horde might just have been so that the Horde can have a throwaway Light character they don’t care too much about, while the Alliance gets to pretend they care about Turalyon. And there is of course some potential for redeeming the poor Naaru puppet, when we confront her with the way she has been manipulated, and… dare I say it? Forsaken.

If they go the more subversive route, they could have a plot where we fight the Light extremists, and we become suspicious of Calia and Saa’ra, just to uncover that Saa’ra really is a good guy, and that there are factions within the Naaru, that see things differently than Xe’ra and her ilk(as always, the same link to the same interview where one dev mentions Naaru possibly having different goals and methods). Calia would then be used to distinguish the ideology of the “good” Light users from the bad ones.

Her character isn’t much of an impediment for either of those, since undead Calia is a bit of a blank slate. Courteous and friendly, but not exactly warm, while comeptently caring for (and maybe about?) others. There is a lot of room for additional definition here.

And there is also another important connection I hadn’t mentioned yet: Her family. Calia had a family, a husband and a child, and instead of definitively killing them off, Blizz left the door open for them to be alive somewhere. A fact that seems to have been taken up by the Scarlet Brotherhood somehow, who claim to have the living heir of Lordaeron in their care.

I just have no idea how to tie that in with her position as an undead and possible Naaru pawn, really. So I’m open to suggestions.

That’s all I wanted to say for the moment anyways. I feel that this, much more than the Forsaken leadership, is at the heart of what the devs want to do with this essentially new character. And I’s like to hear some more thoughts on that. Else they would already have rushed her into the leadership position.

2 Likes

Ehh I don’t know, Wimbert.
To me that sounds suspiciously like “Calia had to be shoehorned into the horde just so the horde can be the villains even in a “Light Evil” expansion.”

Exactly what we need after bfa :roll_eyes:

I meant it more like “Calia is shoehorned into the Horde, so they don’t have to kill Liadrin or that Tauren no one remembers, while still getting a questline that doesn’t require them to help the Alliance”. But sure, there will always be a way to see it as bias.

Ahhh I see, sorry.
Put that way definitely makes the idea a lot more palatable.
So, with a heavy heart, I guess I’d be willing to sacrifice Calia- for the greater good.

Dezco Dawnchaser… ;<

Anyway, I like this speculation, I couldn’t say why but I’m starting to feel really bad for Calia Menethil…I mean yeah sure, she’s a totall lorelol abomination but she could be a good character and there were worse characters, still are.

If they do make her a villain though…I hope it won’t be another dumb tar job, like they did with other Horde characters in the past, either redeem her or make the players really question their actions for once.
I’m not talking about a Xe’ra going “You guuuuys, should really be ashamed of yourselves!!! For killing the child of ze prophecy, Illidon’t stormlolz!”
Because, well that was really cringeworthy stuff and I’m so glad I only had to go through that once.

Perhaps they can still make a decent Forsaken / Horde character out of her yet.
Perhaps the Forsaken will truly become Lordaeron reborn?

I kinda feel for her to become an acceptable Forsaken they have to really push her down, though. She is too clean and pristine and optimistic to fit in with that crowd. But I do think there is some real potential there to shatter her faith, to roughen her up, to make her just a little bit more forsaken, before they push her too much as one of them. So yeah, I do see some potential there. And since there is obviously some story for her coming, I feel it is not entirely useful to discuss her rise within the Forsaken without discussing the person she might be when that rise is done.

They will use the SC as a plot tool to push Calia more into the horde, while the alliance can be like but it wasnt us calia it was the SC!

and maybe blizzard hope horde and mainly the forsaken players will just grow to like her as she will become anti alliance, and just see the forsken as her people in need for her protection and forsaken will end up with undercity back any living people from lordaeron will just be given the finger.

I’m fine with that, if we finally get the scarlets into our ranks.

this is actulay what might happen, would not be to supriced if Calia, becomes Azeroths own Yrel, or even if Yrel and Calia team up at one point going berserk, and then put in Turalyon there also, and we have a ligth expansion all of an sudden.

Hopefully though if this happens, Calia wont be whit the forsake, becuse it would be quite silly for horde to yet again start something up.

I mean, it could be. But not only she is a tough fit for the horde, but her story in BTS could be summarized as “some of the forsaken want to join their families in the alliance regardless of how much hatred they’ll have to live with among humans, and they recognise Calia as a ticket to get there”.

No allied races in Shadowlands though, so this part is unlikely to be shown before 9.2 or something like that.

Well, people did not start liking the perspective of her as an influential figure for almost a year. There is always a plan B though. Last book shows her trying to learn about the forsaken. It could be good if she would want to lead. But it’s equally good if she would try to teach people of the alliance about not all forsaken being terrible. Also, that would put to test her desire to see good in the forsaken.

I think that if they are to play that “Evil Light” card, Blizzard wouldn’t go down said route.
I think that given Calias perfection, kindness and good nature, the plot twist Blizzard might want to play is turning it all into a facade that shatters the second some Naaru (or Light authority) commands her to go cray-cray on the “heretics”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.