Calia Menethil

After reading Shadows Rising as well as reading the few dialogues we have access to in regards to Calia, I find her quite likeable to be honest. I understand that filling Sylvanas’ space is a lot but I think people are not even giving her a chance when she’s actually pretty interesting and nice!

She is likeable, unlike the little girl Taelia who, each time she speaks, makes me want to cut my ears into pieces…

2 Likes

Nicely summed up why she doesn’t fit as the leader of probably the edgiest race in the game.

13 Likes

She could be interesting. I can think of a few story elements she could touch. But the problem is, all of those stories are alliance ones. Although her current position makes sence from the story perspective, but I hope she will not overstay her welcome in the horde.

Voss is an interim leader for this expansion, and the question about the forsaken shall be addressed after shadowlands.

That could be the case. But it is not the only possibility. Calia is there to seek for her family and maybe help a little here and there while there is peace between the factions. There are hints that she might not stay after.

[edit] from the pre-patch:

• Calia states that she gave up on her claims to the throne.
  • Despite some seeing her position as a confirmation of her staying in the horde, her plan is to be “the bridge between the living and the undead”.

Source:

2 Likes

If u like her,then take her to alliance where she belongs,in before the storm she was so dumb…
I have no idea why blizz pushes such a crap char into forsaken

6 Likes

Well the thing is Lordaeron and its whole history is a human (Alliance) history. And the Forsaken story began after WC3 and was basically completely tied to Sylvans.

It is just natural that if you want to explore story that was before or beside Sylvanas you will find yourself within the human territory so connected to the Alliance of WC2 or the current one.

It allways surprises me that Horde players who play Forsaken are so full of denial that they themselves are basically dead humans not much different from daelin or zelling. Before becoming Forsaken you were humans.

The story of Forsaken is not about bootlicking sylvanas and blighting everything, the core is exactly that. Being risen out of death having lost everything and no longer being able to go back. Back however is the human kingdom and the living humans.

Now Forsaken are again being forsakened by the only thing thaey have had: Sylvanas. Which is a full circly. They were “Forsaken” by the Lichking and now by the Lichqueen. A full reboot to their core.
They are now being “found” and guided by yet another Undead character that is not like them but different.

I see it coming to a full circle actually and think it is rather interesting.

Yet Blizzard seem to still get a feeling for calia and how to write her. Nothing new they needed that for several characters before which then became very beloved ones.

Hey, if I could, I would do it in a hearbeat. I would like that to happen.

But I can’t deny that objectively there are hooks that could lead her anywhere, from being neutral, to being killed.

Maybe they wanted to see the reaction. But IMO she was added to the story when we had WoD and Legion expansions. And that could lead to “no faction” approach. She would fit just fine then. Not sure what the devs will do with her now. I have my bias, but an alliance allied race might not happen.

There are many possible scenarios.
I mean we still have that elephant in the room that same as with NEs Forsaken need a new capital and that will involve a new story around it.
Calia will play a role in that similar as the Night Warrior storyline will probably lead to a new story for NEs .

Both races will change. NEs might get their ferocity back, away from being highelved into human loving townelves, which was demanded by players for ages now and the Night Warrior seem to deliver on that now after they completely failed to deliver with 8.1.
The Forsaken will ultimately also get a transformation from their current state as their core identity: Sylvanas, the Plague, hate for all living can’t continue anymore not within the Horde but also not within themselves as they have been forsaken.
So they will get a story that will change their background and identity and in my opinion being it for the better or worse, it will be away from this blight brewing scrourge 2.0 theme.
Problem I see here is that this is a complete redign of a core race of WoW that has been chose by its players for what they have been.
But I also chose NEs for their beautyfull forests, nature loving vigil and fercious defense of said.
Yet I got robbed of all of it.

Maybe. But I can imagine them keeping it just fine too.

It could happen. But who knows. I can imagine Calia being a reason for the forsaken not to change.

It’s one of those things where we might just have to wait and see. And discuss possible options. Teldrassil could be nice. Hyjal seems to be generally accepted as a valid alternative.

Pesonally, I would not mind to have Azshara as a racial leader, but that is not going to happen, so let it be my headcanon. :rofl:

gl hf

Probably too deep of a story for Blizzard, hihi.

I’d prefer Hyjal actually, though I woudl also love to see Teldrassil build how it is supposed to from teh Artwork with modern tech.

I love Azshara but the NE Highborn are a completely different culture, they are actually Bloodelves and have nothing in common with NEs and what I love about them beside the name.

1 Like

Please, someone explain this to me because it never fails to amaze me…

Sylvanas burns Teldrassil and kills thousands of Night Elves. She’s obviously the most evil person ever.

Azshara invites the Legion and watches unperturbed while they kill thousands of Night Elves- her own subjects, who ADORE her.
Not to speak of what she does to Farondis’ people, the millions who die in the Sundering caused directly by her actions, and all the other evil stuff she planned including her great goal to purge Azeroth of all “lesser races”.

How is she any better than Sylvanas?

7 Likes

“Okay yeah BUT that’s different…”

She didn’t burn the children, Aditu! only flushed the into the ocean’s depths…Really, you should stop framing, Aditu!

3 Likes

Simple:
Azshara is a story that happened 10k years before was not experienced ingame and has thus no implication.
It also led to the formation of druidic NEs how they are today which I love. Before that they were just bloodelves. Fun fact the elves taht served Azshara and were responsible for all you said later became the blood elves.

The NEs of today were basically the peasents of said aera who had nothing t do with magic.

There is a difference wether a playeable race gets genocided and destroyed everything you love about it 15 years after you decided to play them, or if your story begins under these circumstances and thus deciding to play it because of that. Like Gnomes or Worgens, Darkspear, Bloodelves.

Also you don’t know the story it seems, Azshara was actually a heartless, self loving maniac, but that burning legion invitation things was actually Xavius doing.
Also the whole concept of the burning legion was unknown during that time and she didn’t kill NEs for the sake of it, a civil war happened which is the war of teh ancients.

There is a great machinima on youtube that covers the actual story, you might want to watch it.
I think it is called war of the ancients.

So loving a character that was written well by Metzen is different from a character that is a complete mary sue and is just there to cater towards strange edgelords.

2 Likes

Yes, I get that. The character Azshara is still there though, we just met her in bfa. And she’s no less evil than she was then. Never regretted a thing she’s done. I get that she’s an important lore character and you can like her as a villain but it is beyond me how Night Elf fans can say they “love” her or even want her back as a racial leader.

They were High Elves, Blood Elves came later. But yes, I know that her former followers are now mostly horde and that the current Night Elf leaders were the lowborn and the resistance. Which is why it surprises me all the more when I hear that kind of admiration coming from Night Elf fans. Because their druidic culture is the direct opposite of what Azshara’s empire was.

I know Xavius was the one who made first contact with the Legion, but that doesn’t absolve Azshara of her guilt. She may not have known what the concept of the Legion was, but she found out about it pretty quickly and did nothing to stop them killing her people. “Not for the sake of it” but as I said for the sake of purging the world of all lesser races. Which doesn’t make it any better imo.

3 Likes

You are basically comparing appels with lawnmawers …
I think I have answered your question.

Also never said that Sylvanas was allways a bad character, up till Wrath it was a nice concept of this rogue sabotageing double agent. After that she became one dimensional insertion of that whished for domme goth girlfriend of some writers that has nothing else to offer than some boobs and the same writers can’t seem to get over and thus is forced and shoven into our all faces all the time for now 3 expansions in a row.
Sylvans should have died after the wrathgate. Or afte redge of night. Would gave been a great end for that character story.

With Azshara, her story happened and ws basically closed 10k years before preserved her from getting that bad.
The BFA Azshara story was basically non existant so who cares for that.

I’m sorry, but you really haven’t.

What you said was basically: it’s okay to like a character who did super evil things long time ago, but it’s not okay to like a character who did super evil things only recently.
I understand that it may feel different because Azshara’s deeds weren’t presented in the game as Sylvanas’ were ( even though we got glimpses of it in Legion and bfa too ) but that doesn’t make them any less damnable.

Hmm yes. I wonder if Azshara was as popular if she was an ugly old hag and not a sexy fish platter?
And by the way, I don’t even care for Sylvanas, and I agree that it would have been better her story ended in Wrath than what we have now.

3 Likes

From the guy that brought you “killing civilians is fine for as long as they are considered criminals…and they are not Night elves”, ladies and gentlemen, I’m presenting “My egomaniac favourite is great, and if you like that other one you are some edgelord weirdo”.

PS:

Hmmm…

Wonder who is showing boobs here…

6 Likes

I think I did.
You just don’t like it and try to nit pick my words. You are not here for discussion or even interested in my view, have dealt with enough trolls.
It is especially noticeable the same 3 horde fanboys circleyerking and trolling around all the time instead of dicussing in a civilized way.

Not going to be involved in that. Sorry boys.

1 Like

Not fair, I was very interested in your view! Or any Night Elf fan’s really who could explain to me in an understandable way how Azshara is great and Sylvanas is evil when they essentially did the same things.

I don’t know what about my posts wasn’t civilized but neither have I started with namecalling, nor was it my intention to even make a horde/alliance argument. But hey what do I know? I’m just a troll :wink:

2 Likes

You’re just to bow and and nod here, not go against the word of the queen and hint that they may be…just a little bit…just a teeny little bit, hypocritical in their stances against others - Lest you surely Troll and circle jerk!

What do you think this is a forum?!

I mean, look at how deep Aszhara is as a character - The most powerfull! the most beautifull! queen of all Night Elves! - Her drive being power, so she strook a bargain with the Legion, Xavius or no Xavius, actually, switch out Aszhara for Sylvanas Windrunner and Xavius for the whispers of Mueh’zala and you get instead of breaking the entire world and flooding cities, one burning city(okay + one sludged village and one rearranged backwater) and the breaking of the veil between Azeroth and the Shadowlands.
Except Aszhara doesn’t have the whole backstory Sylvanas has, Aszhara was always the most powerfull and most beautifull and ruthlessly ambitious and unremorsefull when it came to killing/sacrificing her own people in the pursuit of her ambitions…I guess sort of like Sylvanas Windrunner come BFA.

Then when Aszhara plummets into the depths of the ocean…she strikes a deal with the jai- I mean with N’zoth for Power…and to be a ‘Queen!’…
Totally unlike Sylvanas who’s just Hitler…!’

And yeah, I know I’m coming across as a jerk right now, but hey I happen to find someone finger pointing then taking some weird and hypocritical highground in morality over an event in a video game, een stating that they feel that the other faction needs to suffer even more bad vibes…a jerk - I could stand it if it was talking about the lore, but it obviously was aimed against the other Horde players and myself.

The whole charade with ‘I don’t want the player base to actually feel guilt or shame’; struck me as ‘No, but …yes, not really…but well, kinda’,seeing the last replies to me directly, I’m sure that that was the intent, because surely villainbatting the Alliance right back was not an option to be considered, because they sure don’t want to be the target of what they put other people through.

4 Likes

Ignore the night eleven, we should kick them out the alliance. Garithos did nothing wrong.

Anyway it is weird people get on a high horse over their faction in a video game. I think night elf players take this way too serious and are weird.

1 Like