Can druids and warlocks be friends with it making sense lore wise?

Me and my friend are playing a Night Elf Druid and a Worgen Warlock and are trying to figure out why two classes that seem exact opposites would be close friends within the lore of the game. Any ideas on how we can make it make sense?

“I hate everything you are, but we’re family!”, I guess? :man_shrugging:
No really, don’t look for lore explanations why a druid should suddenly be okay with Fel. But personal relationships aren’t necessarily tied to lived ideology, especially with war buddies.

1 Like

You both fight the fel, each in its own way.

1 Like

You both love Green, I guess.

2 Likes

Look at Malfurion and Illidan.
So basically you have better chance for a good releationship with a death knight because while both of them are aberrations that destroy with their magic everything you vowed to protect so have the Death Knight at least the excuse of being cursed as he never asked to be one and can not just stop being undead.
Meanwhile the warlock choose to become like this and use this bad magic and unlike the demon hunter not even with the nooble excuse of sacrificing everything for becomming a weapon against the legion.
So yeah if you define friends as “I will not kill you but go far away from my forrest” then yeah they can be.

some of my best friends are druids their souls are exstra earthly … i personally think their new tree needs a bit of fel fire to get just the right shade of green …

What most people don’t understand and Blizz haven’t shown in actual game, is that not all warlocks act as disney villains or Edgy as kids that listens to goth rock during puberty - we have Illidari to occupy that niche.

Not all warlocks use fel, most summoning and curse magic is shadow based. In the lore Warlocks may not be the most favorite group of people for the Alliance and for the Horde, but they are not evil by default.

So if a warlock doesn’t do anything that violates the laws of neither side or laws of the druid organizations, then there is no reason to be hostile towards each other.

1 Like

They kind of are, though. Just look at Blizzards official descriptions from Legion here:

Affliction
Affliction warlocks are masters of shadow-touched powers, but unlike shadow priests—deadliest when pushed to the brink of insanity—these warlocks delight in using fel forces to cause intense pain and suffering in others. They revel in corrupting minds and agonizing souls, leaving enemies in a state of torment that would see them undone in due time. Even the most battle-hardened warriors can be deceived, landing blow after blow against the warlock, only to succumb to their suffering as their very vitality is siphoned away by the dark spellcaster.

Demonology
By their very nature, demons are leeches on the living universe—but the demonologist has mastered harnessing the power of these malefic beings on the field of battle. Warlocks harvest the souls of their defeated enemies; those specialized in the ways of demonology use this life essence to tap into the Void, pulling all manner of abomination from the chaos of the Twisting Nether. While such a practice is often considered by outsiders to be wicked and reckless, the demonologist maintains absolute control over the summoned creatures. These malignant entities are fully beholden to—and empowered by—the will of the warlock, until banished to the realm from whence they came.

Destruction
Warlocks who command the power of destruction favor incantations of pure chaos and aggression in battle. In this regard, they’d find a stronger kinship with fire mages than warlocks of other disciplines—if not for their propensity to make use of magic deemed detestable by all mage orders. The destruction warlock is well-versed in discharging a dizzying array of shadow, fel, fire, and chaos magics upon opponents that rattle souls and conflagrate bodies. They require little motivation for the havoc they wreak, happy to revel in the destruction they cause—thrilled at any opportunity to watch the world erupt in discord around them.

Sorry, but Illidan’s edge is pitiful compared to theirs. With the demon hunters it is officially a “They use the fire to fight the fire”-thing, With Warlocks it’s just “Yeah, they are psychotic maniacs, but they are our psychotic maniacs.” Church-burning Black Metal maniacs to Illidan’s Goth kids.

Or do you have any better sources for nicer Warlocks? I’ve been looking for a long time and never found anything that explained why they would be tolerated to me. And “they don’t just use Fel, the also use the powers of the maddening Void!” is hardly consoling.

1 Like

Yeah, it’d make sense in the lore. Nature can also have a chaotic element. Just don’t be a necromancer

This is the class description for the Legion site - it doesn’t even remotely reflect the class lore. It is rather structured in order to lure people to play warlock - it is a glorified piece of advertisement, probably done and constructed by people who don’t play the game or don’t dig into the lore of the previous expansions.

Jubeka’s Journal
Page four
The ritual to summon an observer is unexpectedly complex. While natives of the great dark beyond, they are highly migratory and the summoning ritual must compensate for their travels. Without their willing assistance, summoning an observer would be nearly impossible.

Observers are impossible to control, so Warlocks have to struck the gabrain or deal with them and other Higher demons.

Jubeka’s Journal
Page six
Remarkable! My first attempt to summon a higher order member of the legion failed as spectacularly as planned. The shivarra broke free almost instantly after Kanrethad completed the ritual.

This is the summoning ritual done by two master demonologists and not an amature dark magicians.
This was the part of the green-fire quest.

Yeah, of course, you’re totally right, Warlocks are good guys, class descriptions don’t describe classes, the class that always gathered soul shards and summoned demons for their class quests doesn’t really do either of these things, Fel probably doesn’t actually corrupt and they use Void anyways and that’s harmless. Erm… good night.

I did not say that warlocks are tree huggers, clear your eyes and read the message again.

If you think so, then good for you.

With warlocks it is the same thing as with military people - the person who serves as a sniper may be a good person, but it doesn’t exclude the fact that they have a very twisted (by the standards of the civilians) mentality that helps them to achieve their goals. Sniper may be a very good friend/wife/husband/father/mother but at the same time, that person may have the skills/knowledge/experience and will to do horrible things if a dire situation is deemed necessary.

Nobody cares for lore in blizzard and nether should you. Strictly speaking such questing as yours, stop mattered the moment the Most Racist/Xenophobic race of wanna be Vegans, pro-nature, anti-everying that isn’t nature like gunpowder of stonework’s, with superiority complex bigger that their knife ears - joined the Alliance, which not only exist because Hight Elfs help apes become persons, but also have mages, but even more - Warlocks, also engineers, and other enemies of nature or “”““nature order””“”. So don’t sweat it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.