Can I move my WoW account to a different continent?

Me and my girlfriend are migrating to South Korea. We currently live in The Netherlands. Does this mean I’m going to lose everything I worked for? Or is there a possibility I get to move my WoW account to a different region?

I’m sorry to tell you, but you can’t transfer your account between regions.

It is not possible to transfer World of Warcraft accounts, in-game progress, game time, or items to different regions. World of Warcraft accounts and all associated items are region locked. To play in a different region, you will need to purchase a World of Warcraft license in the new region.

It should be possible, and probably is practical, to continue to play your existing EU account, and keep your characters and items, from South Korea.

The practicality depends on the lag you get. I knew someone who used to play from Japan when he was posted to Tokyo. He was running below 200ms latency, which is good enough for normal play, and better than many people in EU with bad Internet have.

Searching, I see a couple of Reddit threads from people playing US from Korea

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/8a84qt/playing_wow_from_korea/

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/3nblp9/anyone_playing_from_south_korea_on_us_servers/

There may be some set-up involved that I’m not familiar with. I know you can edit the WoW config to specify which region you want to connect to, but I’m not sure that, if you start by downloading the game in Korea, you will get an EU English client. You could always bring your existing WoW client with you on a memory stick. Blizzard might question your first login from Korea as a possible hack, so it would be good to have an authenticator and/or be ready to unlock your account with your passwrod and secret question. Then there’s the matter of payments if you move your credit card to a Korean bank. Stuff like that.

I hope that someone more knowledgeable than I can help with these questions. I know it’s possible. It is likely to be practical. There probably will be some set-up in making it work.

1 Like

Gráinne is indeed correct. Accounts can’t be moved between regions, but you will still be able to play your European account from your new country. Many people, myself included play in different region to the one they live in without much issue. The quality of the connection between your new location and Europe will be a determining factor, but hopefully it will be smooth and playable for you. Best of luck with the move! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played my EU account in the US for a while after moving back to the US. It was fine. Lag was practically non-existent. The problem was coordinating playing with others and when I wanted to play with RL friends and family. I had to start ALL OVER with a US account… Because it’s not possible. I can talk a big game, but no one will ever believe me and since I don’t pay for my EU account anymore, I can’t even link my armory stuff…

It sucks. No achievements from my vanilla days, no cool mounts, pets, titles, mogs or money. Ya know I’m more upset that the Sprite darter is a world drop now than a quest pet than I should be. I even had “what a long strange trip” all those years ago.

Whatever you decide to do, I feel you… especially as someone who started playing WoW in 2005 and had to start from nothing again middle of last year…

3 Likes

Dear OP.

What you do need to move is the region on which you bnet account does purchases. Buying credit on your bnet account will be stuck in Europe. This needs to be changed (I think, if it hasn’t changed from my days)

Then your purchases will be on USD rather than Euro/GBP and be allocated to the right region.

2 Likes

Something about this is definitely a thing.

I have no concept at all of what is the right procedure. I see this

You can change your country / region on your Blizzard account by using our country change feature. If you are unable to use the feature, submit a legible image of your most recent utility bill with your name and new address.

Your Blizzard Balance must be less than $20 USD to qualify for a country / region change. Active Blizzard Balance may be lost and reset to zero after changing countries / regions. Customer Support can’t convert Blizzard Balance from one currency to another.

Accounts must be created in Korea in order to have a national ID on their account information. An existing account cannot be adjusted to Korea. This is because they require a country code according to Korea’s regulations and one is not affixed if the change is made after the account’s creation.

If you change your country / region to one in another country / region while participating in a restricted alpha or beta test, you will lose your progress in the original region until Global Play is enabled for the game. You may also lose access to the game if we are not testing in your new region.

Note : Region in this context does not mean the region of your Blizzard or World of Warcraft account, but rather the region in which you physically reside.

and I can’t follow it, though the note about special restrictions on Korea doesn’t seem to help any.

This is what I referred to before about your bank account. If you are opening a bank account in Korea, and intend to pay from there, you really should clarify with Blizzard Support (Payments area) why exactly your options are.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.