Can Mage speak multiple languages?

I started my journey as a Mage and am loving it. However I have a interesting question regarding their language capabilities.

I heard a few years ago that Mage was the only class in the game, who was able To speak multiple languages. Which includes opposite faction languages as well.

So my question is… can an Alliance Mage player communicate with a Horde player? As in if I use “/s Hi there!” in the chat, they will understand me?

I know there is a glyph you can get that helps with this, but I can’t find specifics on how it works with opposite faction members.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

no they cant but theres a flask u can buy in underbelly, dalaran

A flask? Can you elaborate? :slight_smile:

Edit: Nvm found it :slight_smile: Elixir of Tongues

We can buy a tome for a passive called arcane lingist from old dala. It allows you to understand all oppisite faction languages but not speak their language… however to my knowledge it hasn’t been working for a long time

As a void elf, you can speak to blood elves without the need for an elixir - by setting your language to Thalassian.

You can set your language?

Yeah, in the bottom left corner of the screen, next to the chat box, there’s a speech bubble button.

Click it and it brings up a drop down box, the 3rd option from bottom is language, click it and then you can choose between Common/Orcish and your race’s language (if you aren’t a human/orc).

This sets your /s and /y to a filter so only those that can speak or understand that language can comprehend it. It comes out as gobbledegook for anyone who can’t use that language.

1 Like

The tome in dalaran lets you understand and speak every language of your own faction. So even if you are a troll mage you can still speak Thalassian and so on.

2 Likes

Not anymore. They had to change the functionality with introduction of the elixir of tongues. You can still understand the language, but you cannot speak it.

Oh it seems that way. I just tried and I can only speak Orcish and Thalassian now. I didn’t even get to use the other languages yet… :disappointed_relieved:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.