Can, some one explain arcane mages to me

Hey all back in Legion my main mage rocked arcane I loved the originality of its mechanics the burn and conserve phases the way missiles proc’d. But in bfa clear casting was introduced and I don’t quite get the spec as any more so I switched her to frost.

But I felt I should try arcane again so I made this toon thinking of leveling my way to 120 in essence relearning the spec from scratch… Also I’ve always wanted a male velf caster lol :joy:.

But could any of you explain to me if there’s still a build/conserve phase or am I doing things correct currently? At the moment I’m only lvl 24 but the way I’m working is during a burn phase I’ll get to 5 charges and keep hammering away for max damage using arcane missiles when clear casting procs then when I’m out of mana I’ll barrage then evocate. During the conserve phase I’ll get to 4 charges if clear casting procs I’ll use that then barrage to clear the charges I’ll rinse and repeat until evocation is off cd then I’ll go in to the burn again.

Am I doing it correctly or should I be using missiles more when there’s no proc? I just want to know if I’m understanding the spec still.

Many thanks

Haven’t played Arcane much in BfA (really dislike it atm) but it think you covered it all already.

One note; Not sure, but I don’t think Arcane Missiles on proc is part of the Arcane Power phase.

Other than that…

Arcane Power ready;
Get 4 charges, pop AP and spam AB till oom. End using Evo and reach around 60-80% mana(?). AP not active anymore but still in thr burst phase? Use Missiles on Proc.

Arcane power and Evo not ready;
Stay above 60% mana by using AB 4x followed by a Barrage (that should be mana neutral) and using Missiles on proc (gives you some time to gain mana ^^).

You haven’t got to stay above 60% mana while leveling. Azerite traits want you above percentages for more dps. Raid rotation is burn and preserve but levelling just smash out those missles and use the heirloom trinket that gives 2% mana when you kill things.

2 Likes

During leveling you can almost rely on arcane missiles only, there is barely any difference, but of course per mob you will be slower.
At 120 you are in conserve and burn again.
(Timewalking is your time to shine because the scaling is broken in your favour)

While leveling / doing open world content - you don’t have to do a perfect rotation etc., 99% of mobs will die too fast to worry about it. It’s a good time to get yourself familiar with abilities and how they interact with each other. So experiment and press buttons you enjoy!

In Legion, the only way to channel Arcane Missiles was to get a Clearcasting proc. In BfA you can cast Missiles at any time, but they cost a lot of mana and have slow channel speed.

In Legion you got Clearcasting procs chance from just using spells, and you could stack up to 3 procs both in PvP and PvE. In BfA - more mana spent = higher chance to get a proc, and it no longer stacks in PvE, only with a Honor talent in PvP / War Mode ON.

Burn/Conserve playstyle is still there. Clearcasting makes your next Arcane Missiles cost no mana and channel 20 % faster. So if you want to perform efficient PvE rotation - then use Missiles on proc, and don’t cast them without one.

There is also a trick - when you got a proc don’t immediately start channeling it, start another cast of Arcane Blast and spam Missiles button at the end of the cast. It’ll use Clearcasting proc before checking for a new proc from your last AB cast and save you 1 GCD of time.

Some guides to go into more details:

Icy Veins Arcane Mage guide
-----www.icy-veins.com/wow/arcane-mage-pve-dps-easy-mode

Wowhead Arcane Mage guide
-----www.wowhead.com/arcane-mage-guide
Start with “What Makes Arcane Special” and “What Has Changed from Legion to Battle for Azeroth?”.

It doesnt ave a GCD, in both cases you will start channeling and be ready directly afterwards. It just plays more fluid for using the proc on next arcane blast (because reaction speed is not allowing to use it the instant it pops up) and doesnt waste a charge because - as you said - its used before checking for the next proc.

Missiles is cheaper than 4 charges arcane blast and additionaly for its slower channel allows more mana regeneration, for leveling you can pump more damage with the same maxmana if you use arcane missiles only, mobs will die anyway and in case of stronger stuff you have more mana conserved to go full dps.

Yet it does. Sometimes Arcane mages make a mistake to wait for AB cast to finish and only then press Arcane Missiles (you can see it just by casting animation). Even with best latency and reaction time waiting to finish and then pressing a button will create a delay. That’s why I phrased it as:

So you mean don’t interupt you cast and que your next spell? Thats pretty basic advice and not really a trick dude. Also 1 gcd is about 1.5secs or something atm

Really? Ughh dude, ok, I’ll explain to you that simple paragraph that I wrote, it’s easy to understand.

The trick:

to get a chance of another proc while using previous, for better flow of the rotation and less proc over-wrights.

Bonus - saving time in rotation - in case new mage is making a mistake of a delay between AB cast and starting a channel.

Why? - Because watching other Arcane mages, quite often I see how they are not doing it, for what ever reason, they cast AB, then their character goes in default waiting animation for a second, then start channeling Missiles.

Should be clear now, even with very little thinking.

Sooooooo… what your saying in several paragraphs is que your next spell

1 Like

Haha, no. Try to read again, maybe one more time, you’ll get it eventually

Dude thats called queuing your next spell. You don’t have to spam it. You press the next spell just before the cast finishes. I get that can you get a proc from the previous spell but thats normal.

I don’t believe it at this point, looks fake. Prove it, dude.

You are still trying hard to explain spell queue like it’s a main point of anything I’ve said. Let go of your fixation, read again, you’ll get it.

I get it same as casting ebonbolt already having a brain freeze proc, you use the proc that’s already there and get another straight after.
In the case of AB you would already be casting your next AB before you see you have a proc then you fire missles at the end of the cast.

I just don’t see how it’s a trick.

You are almost there, not that hard was it, right?

Now read first post - you’ll see how OP is used to Legion version of Arcane.

In Legion Arcane was able to stack clearcasting baseline - that means it was really hard to over-wright / waste procs.

With that, it’s safe to assume that he might not know that he can squeeze current proc between AB cast and calculation of a chance for a new proc - and that is the trick that might help someone who is used to clearcasting stacking in Legion version and didn’t think about it before.

Even if it’s not helpful for you - you are not the one asking.

Clear now?

Go hard on missle spam.

It was clear all them posts ago.

TLDR
Queue your spells and you won’t waste a proc

Talking to yourself, and with excuses, and missed. Not very convincing, hm

whatever, cheers

I dont get why he wont get it, spell queuing as a basic WoW feature. Thats why I didnt bother to answer, but it seems if we both try, maybe we can convince him of his complicated way to say “queue spell do create clearcast on clearcast”.

Because it’s not about me, no matter how hard you both going to try to nit pick word by word. If you both triggered so much by a more detailed explanation that just “spell queue” - it’s you choice, I don’t care.

You’ve tried, for whatever reason bugging in you minds, to say if I’m not just saying “spell queue” it somehow incorrect. You’ve both failed, because there wasn’t any problem with it in the first place - call it however you like it won’t change how it works.

OP is confused with how Arcane works - so those details that are useless to you, might be useful for them. If it still triggers you in any way - well, too bad for you.

Cheers!