Can someone explain the afterlife now?

Ok so would somebody be so kind as to explain the afterlife to me in current wow lore with the shadowlands crap?

Because I have no idea if we are now supposed to know that there’s no good afterlives anymore. If it’s going to be kept a secret what happened. Why some ghosts stay on azeroth, why every rendition of afterlife is now up in the air I guess?

The only thing I know about the afterlife now is. Demons, get sent back to the twisting nether by kirian, and kirian sometimes don’t like kids die so they can make them fat on anima to harvest them later.
Is there, a modern post somewhere or video that explains this stuff?

1 Like

I’d suggest not looking too hard for an explanation. You’re better off not caring, really, knowing more won’t make it more interesting or relatable. I mean, I’m on an active RP server, and the quiet consensus there is to ignore about all of the implications on life after death. Just hope for it not to become important later, like the rest of us do. :wink:

1 Like

You die.
Butterman sees you a big :poop: → you are condemned to do Maw Dailies for an eternitie.

Butterman sees you good → You get to do dailies in one of the 4 covenant zones depending your mindset.
NF: Hippie.
Kyrian: Woke.
Maldraxus: Military stuff.
Venthyr: Punishment for bieing a little :poop:

2 Likes

All beings go to their native realm, unless intercepted. That has always been the case. Shadowlands is pretty much exclusively for mortals and the current arbiter is supposed to take relationships into account, when deciding the afterlives.

Important thing to note is that the Covenant realms are pretty much the Shadowlands equivalent of maintenance crew so the average soul is unlikely to go there.

1 Like

Sure, but even then It’s hard to ignore when there’s an entire expansion full of, this… weird retcon mess of what it’s supposed to be.
It’s hard to do the whole “oh you will go to the light to a better side” sort of thing if I know they’re probably going to get mind wiped by a bunch of smurfs or become the butt cheek of a construct.

Basically, when yoy die your soul transferred to the shadowlanss, you arrived first inOribos, what works like a big railway station- just think if the last Harry potter movie when harry dies and meet dumbeldor in kings cross station.

The arbiter (pelagos)) whil judge you and for the thiungs un yoyr life, so if your s noble soul- you get bastin and the kyrian.
If your with natur ir an troll- ardenweald is yoyr destination.
Maldraxxus ist i supopose most warrior ir fighter have their afterlife.
Revendrath sinister and evil souls are send there to regret, abd ti extract anime frim the sinners.
If your see your failures in the previous kife and regret- you hav two options: joining the venthr or you can judged again by pelagos wuth the chance to get another afterlife.

Stubborn souls who’s hopeless are thrown into the naw fir eternal torture until your soul vanished and becomes stygia.

But most Rolle players ignore the whole sl and plot about afterlife because…well, its ridiculous and kills the whole mystery about death…

The paladin Crusader Bridenbrad in Icecrown went to the Light upon his death (I mean, in the realm of the Light) directly because he got the Plague and to save his pure soul from undeath, a Naaru considered him worthy of not going to the Shadowlands (I assume he would have gone to Bastion like Uther), but the Naaru decided to take him to the Light directly.

So a Naaru had priority over Kyrians (and the Arbiter) in this case. So it’s still possible to die as a mortal and not to go to the Shadowlands or not be judged by the Arbiter, but only under exceptional circumstances. (So RPers should be aware of that).

Similarly I think Cho’gall went directly into the realm of the Void Lords. His dying quotes in the raid imply he directly saw his “Master” upon death, so I think either an Old God or Void Lord took his soul there to the Void directly. There are other cases too but as I said they are pretty exceptional.

I don’t think the Kyrians take the Demons to the Twisting Nether upon their death? The demons simply regenerate into the Twisting Nether. If they die in Twisting Nether or on a planet that suffered heavy contamination of fel magic and demonic powers, I think their deaths are permanent though.

Also, according to Nightborne studies, the Fel Lords actually exist. These are demons who are the equivalent of the Void Lords or the Naaru, but in the Twisting Nether, and they are the rulers there. (despite the structure of Disorder wouldn’t imply the existence of any demonic leader outside of the Burning Legion that was artificially created by Sargeras, but it seems they actually exist, and it’s said the Fel Lords are actually Demons so powerful and cruel that even Sargeras was afraid to recruit them in the Burning Legion, so he didn’t.)

For now it is, in a few months you’ll probably never ever go there again, and the references to it will probably be about as minimal as those towards AU Draenor. And that’s easy enough to ignore, really.

So basically Titans 0.1 (the First ones) created something like an astral 3d printer to put it into the deathlands, that blue inbetween stuff? that’s probably the ink that this printer uses to create all afterlives in the shadowlands.

So you die and end up in the ?, the Kyrian are pinged of your location and your entry is checked in a Kyrian database and a simple if - then - else based script is run
if future holds no ressurection, then continue
else leave the soul alone
if dead in every conceivable timeline, then transport to arbiter
else leave the soul alone

So now they take the soul and reach the the sorting hat otherwise known as the Arbiter, who judges you to a second life of servitude for basically eternity or death 2.0
Basically you can die in the shadowlands and then you are apparently erased which means that the afterlife is really just life 2 electric boogaloo

You are sorted on either of those 4 covenant locations and even tho blizzard tried to retcon the disbelief of the overwriting of all afterlife lore its still tainted now

Khadgar is now vibing in the afterlife on a studytrip/vacation

Basically wow deaths are on tier with kingdom hearts deaths
and to those who played the KH series, yeah, it’s gotten that weird.

That really depends on what you RP if you RP tho, looking at the shamanic races; the afterlife is a massive thing for most of them so they either have the option of going with old lore which would be lorelol or go with new lore that very few people find interesting

Eh, going by Baine’s “my ancestors’ spirits are always with me, I don’t need to look in the shadowlands”-stuff it seems to me that shamans can pretty much ignore it as well. Shadowlands hasn’t made anything about spirits any clearer, so I don’t see why anyone would need to know Shadowlands details.

Well… DKs are pretty much stuck with it, though. Which doesn’t matter that much, because they are stuck as the grumpy, silent guys that speak with their swords anyways.

Well yeah what baine says sounds nice but it kind of falls apart when you really delve a bit deeper and think on the implications of it.

How can your ancestors be with you if they’ve been mindwiped and running errands for the kyrian? Your ancestor might not even know who you are anymore.
How can they be with you if they’re flogging criminals in revendreth?
The implication of the shadowlands is that it’s almost like a second life moreso then an actual state of death, especially cause you can die in the shadowlands and when that happens, regardless if wether or not you are a mortal or a creature of death, you die permanently (according to a danuser interview)

I get that it’s better to ignore it and that it’s likely not to be refferenced a whole lot again but if there’s one thing that 9.2.5 solidified with the BK and darkfallen quest; Shadowlands is still very much canonical, we visit Liadrins old master (kyrian) with the Blood Elf Orphan week orphan (who is now a BK initiate), both very hard ties to the azeroth stories

It could also mean Baine is saying his memories are enough but idk knowing your father could be flying around as a Kyrian not even knowing who you are anymore… that doesn’t sound like happy times

That’s why you should really, really avoid the topic of Shadowlands, exactly. Any canon that works here is headcanon.

You (or your character) just don’t believe that they are, easy. If you haven’t been there, why would you believe accounts about it, especially if you don’t get those accounts in character, because other people are happily ignoring that stuff just like you do. No one will explain to your Tauren what Danuser told us in an interview. Work with the stuff you learn ic, not ooc, and I’m pretty sure nothing will change at all.
Perception is reality (all the more so if magic is involved…), and you have a great deal of control about your character’s perception.

Apart from that, the gray area in the lore is ginormous as well. Kyrians leave souls uncollected all the time for any reason they see fit (undeath, higher calling, fate… so why not “needs to guide his offspring”?), and even if they were collected, there a a bazillion afterlife realms which could have different rules out there and one could have ancestor support line features.

That’s really all I’m saying. It’s better to ignore it, and unnecessary to delve deeper into it, because Blizzard won’t. It might be canon, but it doesn’t have to affect you or your character, if you don’t want it to.

Thats one thing that gets me.
The whole, bazillion afterlife things
Why does everyone seem to go to these 4. I’m sure there are better places to go.

Do you think blizz will ever adress this or just, hopefully retcon it with a lil. “Oh yer, these guys were just ONE of millions of arbiters that just got special privilege cos of the whole argus bluescreen thing.” Tilted the pinball machine for lack of better terms.

Did they actually think this would be cool?

That seems like an easy question as well: Because the devs actually created zones for them. So we won’t meet anyone who didn’t go to them. And they wanted to make sure that there would be at least one known character in every zone, because it felt alien enough at it was. The lore is still subservient to the gameplay.

The guys who replied to the “Who will burn Teldrassil, and how will they manage it?-question” with “the obvious one with catapults”? Yeah, they probably did. Let’s how they get that new creative and narrative director soon, to limit the excesses of the current guys.

I may be wrong, but I remember that that crusader was transferred to light before death. Because if he died, he would become an undead.

1 Like

Yea, there seems to be no good afterlife. So best thing to do when in warcraft universe. Do not die, so become Warlock or DH and you can basicaly live forever.

Or just become undead, since that can be done by the magic flavour of your choice now, and seemingly can leave you intact.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.