Can you RP as a Racist?

To elaborate on the question in the title.

Can you within the realms of spirit of RP be a racist?

The idea of Dragons / Drakthir seems like something wouldn’t really wanna accept all to easy after years of having to fight and kill the big lizards maybe even lost some people to their kind. Now we just have them in our cities…

I understand RP is a bit of fun but also again for those who want to play along would this be something that would even be open to see what happens or just a no go area?

Garithos kind of was, back in WC3.
I would say that, if it’s within reason and important to the lore, sure.

2 Likes

Specist, but yeah
It is okay if you hate a whole race with passion
Genn is not really the biggest fan of the undead for example and basically everyone fear and hate demons
Your character have every reason and right to hate anything with scales (including Trolls)
Or flying talking lizzards with breath as a weapon
Zhan for example hate humans since he leraned they sell dragon flanks in bloody crates and consider broiled dragon feast and grilled dragon meat a “delicacy”…
…then learned about their history and hate them even more

1 Like

One thing which vexes me about this topic is the imprecise meaning of the word ‘race.’

Forsaken are mostly former humans, with a smattering of former elves and perhaps half-elves, who were once mortal and yet are now undead. They don’t reproduce nor do they all have a common bloodline. How are they a race in the same sense that, say, gnomes are a race?

Furthermore, we get into the sticky issue of race vs. subrace. There are half a dozen types of trolls, for example. Are the jungle trolls a race or a sub-race? And how is that determined?

I apologize for asking more questions in response to a question, but I’m not even sure how we should approach this. On Earth, in real life, the word race isn’t even clear, so I’m not sure how to regard drakthyr in relation to, say, dragonspawn.

Well, Race is a categorization based on shared physical or social qualities into groups generally viewed as distinct within a given society.
So you are right
Undead is a race
Gnomes and everyone else are a species

1 Like

This makes a lot more sense. Specist? Or speciesist? Do we have a word for this?

Speciesism - Intolerance or discrimination on the basis of species
A specist is such a person, an advocate of speciesism

1 Like

Aye think this is a fair point guess it is more Spiciest then Race but pretty sure used to ask for Race on character selection screen didn’t it ?

1 Like

Yeah, it does. See, this is part of my confusion. Not all sources (WoW, other games, encyclopedias) use the terms in the same way.

Lots of World of Warcraft characters, both in the official lore, and player created ones, are racist.

As has been mentioned here already - and as with all RP - I think the important thing is, why does this character hate this race/species?

And, quite possibly, the character in question might encounter a person or situation in RP that forces them to rethink their opinion.

I think this is an important point. However we define it, racism is bad. A character overcoming such preconceptions demonstrates a good amount of positive development.

1 Like

I think so, there are subtle hints in the game that some races do not like others or see them as inferior. For example Nightborne looked down upon nightelves and called them Primitive savages if i remember that suramar stuff correctly. Also Blood Elves view themselves very highly and are about The Purity of their race etc. But it is nothing compared to undead. They are hated by pretty much all paladins and Other followers of light. And following/worshipping Light is very popular among The humans atleast. Draenai are also fanatics when it come to this, atleast in alternate timeline where Yrell is Basicaly Trying to take over Draenor in the name of Light and purging all who opose. I mean as long As it is only about Ingame Races it is fine and within the Rules to RP as such character.

I hate humans with passion.

Understandable.

1 Like

Only in RP of course. It is tied to your typical elf arrogance.

1 Like

Yes, this is doable in the world of Warcraft and sometimes even makes sense.

To be clear: Yes, racism is bad, nobody will deny that - but bad things adds conflict, which helps to spice up a world. As people pointed out, racism in the lore is an active thing. It adds flaws to characters (and entire races) and overcoming it can be a great way of character development.

Of course, in worst case, your character is proven right on why he hates them, feeling more justified, which - if done right - CAN still lead to good story telling.

Just make sure your character has a good reason for it, and not just “because I feel like it”!

You can, though you need to be prepared for a lot of players seeking to exploit it as a means of performative point scoring due to an inability to separate a fictional character from the player behind the character in question.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.