Cant start WoW / black screen ,AMD graphic card

Hi, since today I cant start WoW, when I press play the game, it launches in the overlay but with black screen… Does anybody have similar issues please? I tried every black screen fix method from blizzard but doesnt work, neither the commands of directX,updating drivers,clearing AMD graphics shader cache,repair and scan files… :confused:

1 Like

Hi!
This had happened to me two weeks ago!
I changed in compatibility settings and made it run compatibility to windows 8 and it worked fine.

2 Likes

Adding -d3d11 to the additional command line arguments for WoW in the launcher settings (cog wheel icon) helped me when the issues started with 10.2 patch.

3 Likes

What Grelier said solved my issue which was like OP’s but with white instead of black screen. I think it would help to wait until a proper driver is available while using the additional command in the launcher :slight_smile: I was going mental trying to roll back to older drivers of my AMD card, nothing worked, from running wow repair to gulping down tons of camomile tea to calm my nerves :smiley: Grelier is the MVP in this case, follow what he says :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw a tip on Reddit which suggested that the cause for the black/white screen is generating new shaders after the patch and the solution is just to wait for 5 minutes or so until they are generated.

I can confirm that worked for me on RX6600 card: I removed the DX11 option and started WoW, WoW went to not-responding black screen, I alt-tabbed to do something else and eventually WoW started normally. After that WoW starts instantly when using DX12.

i can confirm that this is working.

waited for 3 -4 mins and now the game works as intented , both classic and retail.

Yep. After banging my head several times and even playing on DX11 for a while, I just let it to see what happens and after a few minutes it works fine.
Don’t switch from DX12 tho, or you will have to wait again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.