CATA Marksmanship Hunter discussion and theorycraft

The ramble part:

In before “Just go play Survival like everyone else”, I was never the type to go with the crowd, picking the most popular options.
I might be foolish for going “against the wall” in figurative terms of speaking, but I prefer to pick whatever is more interesting for me rather than whatever is most popular among others.

For the matter of playing Hunter class in WoW, I always liked the fantasy lore around elven archers, and night elves became my favorite in WC3.
Thus NE Marksmanship Hunter was obvious choice for me when I played WoW for the first time many years ago, even though I was not aware of gameplay mechanics like aggro back then, and made the leveling experience less convenient compared to other hunter specs.

Many years have passed since then, and while I quit playing WoW during MoP era, I returned for Classic even though I didn’t had as much time to play the game as I would like to.

The discussion part:

Records speak clearly. Survival performs better than Marksmanship in CATA, but my point is not the complain that that MM got dethroned by Survival. Fury warriors have it much worse.

Reason for this topic is to discuss with others who play hunter and might be interested, about some aspects of this class that appears to make no sense to me.

Like for example: Why is Cobra Shot doing about 25% more damage compared to glyphed Steady Shot on my MM hunter, and why Aimed Shot which is considered to be sort of “trademark” ability for Marksmanship hunters, make such low signification in MM overall damage?

Imagine Arms warriors being able to effectively use Mortal Strike only after 5 stacks of 60% chance proc from using Slam.

That’s obviously hyperbole, but still, I can’t help but wonder why is Aimed Shot so low on the list of damage done by ability for MM hunter, especially since the whole rotation is build around repeating Steady Shot twice all the time, and use other abilities only in-between to get 5 stacks of Ready, Set, Aim… as often as possible.

1 Like