Cataclysm or Vanilla (Era)

Hello everyone.
As a player i did play a bit of vanilla when it was already known as classic era, i never played any of the older expansions like TBC or Wrath and of course not Cataclysm.

From what i can gather Cataclysm seems to be a divisive expansion some people seem to like it and others not so much since it was when the old world was changed forever or at least until classic era in 2019 when they brought the old world back.

For a new player or someone that has never played Cataclysm would you recommend me to try it out get to level cap and try to do content even PvP or should i just go back to classic era?

I have no clue about what to think or feel about Season of Discovery… seems like a broken version of the old game especially in PvP.

Cataclysm is great IMO. Classes are a lot of fun, more so than TWW and is a step up from WOTLK. The dungeons are fun, the raids are a lot of fun and soon Firelands will release. So yeah I would definitely go for it. Just play on Gehennas and there are tons of people around.

Depends what you want from the game.

Destination more important than journey: Ultra-fast, simple, easy, high speed levelling, most RPG mechanics and complexity stripped from the game, little or no downtime with the primary focus aimed toward rushing people to end game as fast as humanly possible, but with more complex end game - then go with Cata.

Journey before destination: Slow levelling, RPG mechanics intact, many bottlenecks, more difficult quests (some of which require grouping) class-specific quests, lots of travelling involved, lots of downtime for some classes but generally far more simplistic end game content (save perhaps for Naxx) - go with Classic Era.

2 Likes

Pretty much what the warlock above said.

I just wanna add that you can play Cata with the journey in mind and just not the destination. The journey is obviously not as long and timegated as Classic era, but it still took me over 3 days /played in Cata to level 1-85 without heirlooms. It is what you make of it yourself. Some of the stories in the leveling zones are actually interesting and fun if you take your time to read the quest texts, listen/read the dialogue etc.

But yeah, I’d say the main downside of Cata leveling is that it’s not very challenging. Even without heirlooms, most mobs will not be much of a threat at all. For me though, the positive aspects in Cata still wins since there’s basically no downtime, more actual gameplay instead of walking/flying for 15-20 minutes, or cleaning out an entire camp five times over to get a few slains because of shared spawn points, like in Classic era.

(Hopefully what I wrote makes sense. My covid-19 brain is having a hard time operating currently).