Character undelete grace period not working as intended?

Okay, so here’s my issue:

A while ago I had two characters, one at level 50 due to a BfA boost and one at level 45 by good old stubborn leveling.

They were both deleted for space and disuse though intended to be used again later. After some time, I found them both gone from the undelete list, destroyed for inactivity.

Meanwhile, I retain another bunch of characters in the same undelete list who were high level at one time but were drained down to 23 and 25 by the level squish. These three are seemingly immune to being destroyed for inactivity whereas my others were not so lucky.

What gives? The listed rules for the undelete grace period seem woefully outdated and inaccuate if this can happen.

It’s a delete list not an inactive list. You need to think of it like that, though a level 50 should still be there.

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/help/article/15312

Well the rules list is old and inaccurate, applying to the old level system and still it deletes my level 45 but not the 23…

Well, if it is wrong then make an ingame suggestion to fix it.

I should hope people are paid to update the rules and conditions yet here we are. I was operating under the assumption that my level 45 was permanent, not the 23.

Sigh.

It’s probably to do with when and if they were logged into before being deleted after the level squish.

Well I was doing Legion content on the 45 in BfA. Now it’s gone. The 23 was undeleted as an experiment months ago and deleted again to see if it would vanish in the standard timeframe but it didn’t.

It seems like something isn’t working.

Yeap, over the 120 days so permanently deleted obviously. The 23 won’t be deleted permanently for 90 days.

You did read the linked article?

Updated: 2 days ago

I will repeat it again, it’s not there to be used as storage. Especially now that realms can have your 50 limit on one.

The 23 has not been deleted for over six months which spurred me to make this thread. Something isn’t working right.

90 days is 3 months not 6. Again, the article gives you this information.

And yet the characters remain. That’s the point. They should’ve been gone months ago if this worked as advertised. My level 50 is gone but my 23 remains.

They should all be gone, imho.

Delete should mean delete, with no recovery, because its not an inactive character storage facility. The only exception would be in cases of verified hacks, where only a GM can recover them.

But thats just my opinion.

1 Like

I’m quite sure I recognised the OP from some while ago who wanted exactly the opposite: Namely the clearing of even the undelete list.

That said for the current situation, any characters will be here within the stated dates. If expired, they can be purged anytime.

Ideally yes, we should have the option to immediately and permanently delete something from the undelete list. I’m not arguing to keep things here. I find it strange and inconvenient that characters that should have been purged haven’t been purged and that the characters that would’ve been permanent were removed.

I’m not sure of how many times I can retierate the same issue here.

My point remains that the stated dates for the grace period aren’t working.

I assume the character database gets periodically optimized/cleaned and any characters with expired grace period gets deleted for good. The optimization could be automatic at specific intervals, triggered when certain treshold etc. is met or something else entirely so it might not be regular occurance causing some characters to remain in the undelete list.

In anycase, I don’t see why the characters being there bother you. Just don’t open it as it is not meant for “unused character storage”.

Ideally, I’d see them all gone and I’m profoundly confused as to why those that should be gone aren’t.