Character/profile newbie questions

TLDR: New to rp servers/ rp in general. Want to know more about starting an rp profile /designing a character.

1. Name: My chars name isnt exactly that, a name. Should i namechange even if i have to force myself to come up with a name i might not be happy with, or can i play around it?
    (is it fine if i just introduce myself when the time comes if i come up with a good name etc, since knowing every bypasser’s name isn’t exactly very immersive either.)

2. Getting started on writing a character: I don’t exactly write much irl either, so this part is particularly difficult to me.

-Do you have any tips for where to begin? (list of personality traits, backstory etc)

-How should i go about avoiding lore mistakes?

-I want to have a character i can feel comfortable playing, so some elements of especially my normal typing style.
-Should i try to figure out a backstory reason for why the character doesnt use the dialect you most commonly hear from npc nelves? (*well spoken, not a lot of slang/heavy accents)
-what about wanting2type with letters, this1s an extreme example.

-does having a well thought out backstory help you in figuring out where to go with a character, or should i jump into rp first, and let it evolve as i learn?

-OOC question: How should i start getting into rp? Guilds? Forum/public events?
I want to avoid too much commitment, since i dont really know how much ill enjoy it yet.

Ty4help in advance!

1 Like

Well, first off, welcome to the RP community.

1. That name will be reported. Even if you can change your IC name with addons such as totalroleplay3 (trp) or myroleplay (mrp) there’s a name policy that means you should have an actual name. If nothing else, no one will take you as nothing but a loller or troll with that name.

2. If you’re not sure how much time you want to put in, begin with joining a public event, there’s also a guide on Argent Dawns forum about beginning role playing, look at that to get tips, and read up on the lore regarding your race so you know the basics :slight_smile: then start thinking of what background and personality traits your character has, doesn’t have to be a novel but just a few points that helps with the character building, where was it born, is it military, an adventurer, a civilian? Does it still have family alive? How does it feel about the last war and the peace treaty?

Lastly, “Ty4help” please don’t. (For some reason the quote function doesn’t work)

2 Likes

I would say don’t bother with the name change. If it gets reported, you receive a free name change anyway. Find an IC (in character) name for your character, and put that in your TRP. (or MRP - both are roleplaying add ons I would HIGHLY suggest you download and fill. Or else some people would most likely consider you as an OOCer/troll.)

This character’s IC name is Bell’amoire Silentsorrow, for example. It has nothing to do that with my OOC name. As long as you have the correct name in your RP add on and you introduce yourself with that name in RP, it shouldn’t pose such a problem.

Illysiel answered in a way what I would say for most besides few things anyway, so I will skip a few questions.

Have a concept, but don’t spend days on it, instead just go for it for your first character. No one starts perfect, we all did our mistakes and we still do. Break the ice and the doubt. Go to an RP hub (Stormwind, Orgrimmar, Silvermoon etc.) and walk around, wave to people, approach someone and greet them. Say “Hi friend!” if you wish. Even if you don’t, as long as you are an in an RP Hub with a decent TRP, someone eventually will.

I agree, please don’t do this. I mean, more than half of the roleplayers I know aren’t native English speakers either, but showing attention to grammar as much as possible shows that you care about the interaction you are having with other people at the moment, imo.

Welcome to the RP and I hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Okay, first of all, welcome to the RP community.
Second, by your questions, I’m assuming you’ve not yet read this; Guide to roleplay for newcomers
If so, do it.

It’s very much the best way of getting to know the ropes of base concepts in RP.
But I’ll give you my takes on the answers too, just because I’m bored.

1. Name; Your in game character name is not your IC (in character name, so the name your character would introduce themselves in an interaction). And you are correct, calling strangers by name is considered to be poor RP.
    2 Writing backstory; You have to consider RPing as a cooperative writing and storytelling exercise. While you don’t need to be an author or a writer, skills learned from those will come extremely handy in making your emotes.
    So reading books and other literature will actually most likely make your interactions have more quality.

For a beginner, just keep it simple. Look up what a normal, “average joe” night elf’s life would have been, what kind of significant historical moments they would have been present for or taught about and figure out the basics. Where their parents are, had they any siblings, or extended family, etc.

Research. A lot. Watch lore videos, read sites and discussions or get a hold of some of the related WoW novels.

RP won’t feel anything like doing content. Your OOC class (in game class and spec) won’t matter beyond your armor type for mogging, and if you play a non-combat role, not even that.

Uhh, not really necessary imo. Lots of night elves (and other RP characters tbh) speak in a more casual speech pattern. What I think matters, is keeping said speech pattern consistent.
Don’t make your character change the way they speak in similar situations from one day to the other without character development.
It’s fine to speak more venerably to a guard captain and more casually to a street beggar, though.

No. Absolutely not. Big, big, biiig no. Nope. Forget about it.

Yes and no. I’d say make a simplistic, easy backstory first. After you’ve spent some time with your char, you can add bits and pieces here and there to make it more intricate.
But I recommend leaving the more extensive and intricate backstories for later on, and for harder character concepts.

I have to suggest Stormwind.
It’s the most populated RP hub on AD and it’s the most likely you’ll get casual, walkup RP there. Try that out for a few days, see how you like it, learn some more ropes and then if you find you’re into it, you can move on to guilds.

One more important thing. Be sure to state that you’re new in your OOC information. People will be more receptive, more accepting of mistakes and more willing to help out and let you learn.

2 Likes

Egads! That name! And I thought my name isn’t RP enough. Change it mate!

On the RP aspect, I play during the off times cos of IR commitments so I mostly keep to myself. Being on a low pop rp realm doesnt help much either…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.