Classic era character clone request

The purpose of these threads is opposition, accept it.

And exactly are you going to achieve?

The Whine effect, I believe.

1 Like

Buzz. I’m not the only one affected. My now “wotlk” characters are basically “sleeping” as well because I have not made a decision to rename them and I don’t assume they will just get deleted after 14 Months. The whole argument has no ground, especially in 2023 and needs to be addressed and handled much better.

You are correct, they weren’t deleted.
They are where you left them because you didn’t move them in the 18 months window you had.

2 Likes

You also got it wrong.

First, Wotlk characters cannot be “moved” to classic. However, they moved my original classic characters from a german classic server an english wotlk server, which is also just crazy.

Then they set up the classic clones because they did not want to abandon the classic game mode on clones of the original classic servers and even kept the original server names if I didn’t miss anything.

Finally, they provided a limited timeframe to keep those classic toons, for money, of course. And then they deleted my classic characters because I did not know I had to do that in order to not lose months of playtime on the classic game mode, which they chose to continue to support, without wotlk.

Clarification: The limited timeframe was about 14 months if I take a look at the announcement, you may also choose then to keep your Classic toons… For free if you opted only for one version at that time. Choosing both did require a paid version.

Edit: No toons were deleted but only progressed with the realms when they were updated to match the expansion then as otherwise claimed, the toons were found to be at the destination Wrath realm as expected.

I wouldn’t bother if I was you, they are right and everyone else is wrong and nothing anyone says will convince them of anything else. Even irrefutable evidence.

I really wish Blizzard would come alone and say non-diplomatically, it’s not coming back, none of that CS speak just plain and clear.

1 Like

I know that. Again, I’m highly aware what happened and what “rules” Blizzard came up with - as well as from the technical pov, too.

I also don’t mind paying money for any additional toons, because I would have gotten something extra in return, which would be to start playing wotlk, additionaly.

But having my classic toons deleted after the timeframe is something I feel free to protest - together with a few hundred other folks who slowly pour back after a break.

There is just no reason to delete any progress from an existing game mode (Live - World of Warcraft Classic), which was there from the very beginning and still is to this day, no matter how blizzard managed the technical pov internally.

1 Like

The data was duplicated on both Era and Wrath and since the service was gone they no longer had any need for the data so they securely deleted it.

Tell me something, is restarting a PC the same as shutting it down and starting it up again?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they could still just fire up the service and let us restore the classic toons. I have 15 years of experience with databases and there are so many different layers to “delete”, you would be surprised.

Depends on the operating system. Windows handles restarts differently than shutting it down before. Also, I’m pretty sure my original classic toon clones were not stored in RAM.

I have quite a bit of experience too and when the data is no longer needed or removed then it has to be shredded, according to the law anyway. Also it’s not a full account just some data attached to it.

I think that the data is gone as otherwise they wouldn’t use the phrase “Permanently deleted”

1 Like

Yeah well, I wouldn’t be too sure about that. The toon data would not be considered “delicate personal information”. I guess they are still stored, just seperately from the current live environment.

Blizzard have said they are gone forever and I have no tangible reason to not believe them.

1 Like

If I had a penny for everything Blizzard said… oh boy.

This is their chance to win back some sympathy from the community.
It would be beneficial for affected players.
And it would also benefit the server load.

There are literally no downsides. Also nobody is asking for any free special treatment. All those people would gladly pay money and eventuelly keep both version of their characters even if they are not interested in wotlk at all.

It’s holiday season, players come back and realize their stuff is gone. It’s not like it’s been ten years and blizzard went out of business.

Meanwhile you could be lvl 23 allready just by not writing all these posts…

2 Likes

You don’t get it, do you? I won’t put in a year of game time again and refarm Sulfuras, complete BWL Tank, Arms and Fury gear, around 5k Gold, PvP Rank 10, list goes on. Not gonna happen.

2 Likes

Then wait for a second reboot.

If you havn’t touched your characters since vanilla and they are simply copied to wotlk they could copy them back to vanilla (if they wanted to put in the work). I hardly think they will though I’m sad to say. Had you been playing in tbc and wotlk though it would’ve been a different story but these characters should be just as they were back in vanilla. Not a bunch of tbc/wotlk loot/gold on them etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.