Coming back, looking to make a priest

So as the title says i’m looking to come back after some time out. I haven’t played since the end of BFA and I haven’t touched priest since Cata.

Whats the shape of the class? I’m mainly PvE So only looking for those aspects. Though I will casually dabble in PvP. How the rotations? Did they fix shadow? I remember people saying it was kinda weak back then.

All input welcome.

You can raid with any priest spec. If you have not touched priest since Cata. Run dungeons and normal mythic+. LFR… Max renowned with your convent. This will provide convent gear and better quest gear. Farm honor in Battlegrounds for PvP gear to fill out some slots. Then some items you can buy from the AH.

Up to you what spec to pick.

Holy is the least broken of the 3 specs :wink:

If you want to raid It’s totally fine. It’s not the supportclass like it was back in the good old days. It’s just a look I’m in a raid and give nothing special except Fortitude.

Damage is good, far from the best.

The rotations are boring. It was good in Legion but even better before that.

Don’t play it in PvP. Unless you happen to be extremly good at it. It requires more then being good at it. Luck.

Play Holy. then you can’t die in battlegrounds.

Levelling is cancer. If you go shadow its just harder to level as you dont have the health or damage to reliably heal yourself so consign yourself to pulling 1 or two mobs at a time.

If you go disc or holy youll never die but itll take forever.

For end game content for shadow we are now a hard CD based class. Void form is up once every 1.5 mins and this is our damage window and we are single target gods in this window, stacking every CD we have into it.

We have a resource, insanity, but its not really a thing any more. It was introduced as the primary control mechanism in Legion but these days its literally only spent to cast one spell so its more of a gimmick.

Because of this We are great in raids and really valuable on Tyrannical in Mythic+, but we really suck at AoE, even if we spec for it. It can make pugging Mythic+ which is more AoE reliant pretty annoying to outright impossible as Shadow.

For farming solo context at end game, itll be tedious for the same reasons as levelling until you hit a solid gear level, at which point it flips with almost no middle ground, to absolutely trivial. The sheer damage pumped during Void Form or healing through attornment combined with the fact we self heal through damage means once you hit a pivotal amount of damage youll be able to pull huge groups and solo pretty chunky elites and end every pull on full health.

For Holy I mean, its a top grade healing spec its exactly what youd expect.

Disc is a right ball ache to play, they seem intent on making it progressively harder and harder to play every expansion, which is impressive considering it was easily the most technically demanding healer after the legion changes by a fair margin. But that being said if you can master it its in high demand for all end game content. It performs exceptionally well in Mythic+ if you can master what is a very difficult AoE healing environment and its mechanics with Spirit Shell mean it can fill a valuable niche in end game raid content that is not provisioned by any other spec.

PvP wise, disc is no longer the psudo mage who can heal. Dps is pretty trivial but still top end competitive with other healing specs. Shadow is how its been for years now. To dangerous to let cast but trivially easy to lock down. In PvP as shadow youll have two binary experiences. Absolute tedium where you are correctly identified as a threat in which case youll do literally nothing for the entire BG or arena but die over and over again. And when they dont identify you as a threat, you blow every last CD you have and kill 6 people in 10 seconds and no thats not an exaggeration.

I went for priest this expansion after starting out on a rogue at launch. I love the spec and how it plays in the current content, been pushing my own keys for the past three weeks and my ilvl just tipped 200. I feel the class rewards me for my efforts! When used to full capacity a shadowpriest can give you that special feel, you give your PowerInfusion to the big dps who is 30 ilvls above you = he rewards you by destroying huuuge packs of mobs in seconds! Keep PI for yourself on single-target fights and you can compete with the big(ger) bois on bossfight until you get your gear in order!
In pvp you can have lots of fun while leveling! Get some enchants on your looms and you will be (one of) the scariest peons in the gulch! Youtube(dot)com/watch?v=ktY6WIlr0Vs - made me decide on shadowpriest this exp! At 60 you will have lots of fun in battlegrounds, arena i dont have much experience in myself but i see players like that streamer using shadowpriest at ultimo rating and having lots of fun!

My only grief about shadowpriest is the AoE rotation you find yourself using, it can be clunky and lackluster compared to fire speccd mage but i still find enjoyment in it from the visuals! The spells and the noises they make are as close to perfection as you can come in WoW 9.+ IMO(!).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.