Computer keeps crashing during wow

Hi,

this topic is related to this one : Computer keeps crashing during WoW - #8 by Jingoraitin

I adjusted all settings as suggested and for a week, all went well but this week, my computer is crashing again …
Any other ideas please ?

I’m going to have to put a disclaimer up front here: games/applications generally cannot “hard-lock” a computer on their own, or force a reboot. Whatever is going wrong here is almost certainly beyond our actual sphere of influence and chances are it’ll need a local technician to sort things out.

With that in mind: we can at least try and narrow down variables a bit to see what can be deduced from the information that is available.

The steps that were originally suggested mainly reduced load on the system, which in turn often improves stability. If that only brought a short-term improvement we unfortunately have to consider the option of there being some form of progressive system deterioration occurring that has now “caught up” with the improvements that have been made.

This would be highly unusual for new hardware, but unfortunately it is not impossible. :frowning_face: The way the symptoms were originally described would actually very much fit overheating hardware - especially that it takes a while for the problem to first occur, but its cadence then increases afterwards, is very common for such cases. This is a result of heat usually building up a lot faster than it can naturally dissipate again, so a hardware component that already went past critical temperatures can very quickly get past that threshold again.
If this indeed only occurs while playing WoW chances are the potentially overheating component may be the CPU itself, since like most MMOs WoW indeed leans a lot more heavily on it than most other game-types do.

That is however fairly speculative, so it should be properly checked out as soon as possible - there are a number of other conditions that’d lead to very similar symptoms, and for nearly all of them remote diagnosis is unfortunately not very reliable.

1 Like

Hello,
thank you so much for the fast feedback and for all the help I’ve been receiving.
I’ll guess I’ll try a technician then although it’s not easy to show someone, since it usualy takes a few hours before it crashes the first time, but I’ll explain.
Do you think it’s the CPU of the computer or the graphics card ?

Both video card and CPU are nearly equally possible and likely in the assume scenario, WoW however does favor CPU to an extent so I’d personally would check that first.

Regarding the issue being hard to show/reproduce at will: you may not need to actually do that. Tools like HWMonitor can run in the background and record rather useful data to show to a technician. Alternatively you can also try and deliberately apply stress to the hardware via benchmarking tools (such as Heaven/Unigine or Furmark) to see if you can more reliably hit the “breaking point”.

i just want to add to this information, you can run HW Monitor and then play WoW (since it looks like the game itself is benchmark for your machine) and after a while monitor max temperature HW Monitor red. There are 3 indicators Minimum, Average and Max temperature noticed for each of the cores (yes, my bet would be cpu).

Thank you all for helping me out :slight_smile: