Confused about collecting appearances on alts

From what I understand, if your character can equip the armor type (no red text in item info) then you can unlock the items appearance for another character who is that armor type. This also applies to weapons. I’ve ran countless dungeons/raids over the years on my hunter and by proxy have unlocked many appearances for alts.

I ran mythic ToS on my hunter and a mage in the group looted some leather feet (Glacier Walkers from Harjatan) I wanted for my DH alt. The mage traded them to me, I then equipped the leather feet (as I can equip leather) to get rid of the trade timer. Yet when I logged onto my DH, the feet are not in the appearance tab.

Am I wrong in my thinking when I assume that if my main (mail) can equip an alternative armor type (leather), that the appearances get unlocked on leather wearing alts? Or do I have to loot leather armor on a leather wearer in order to get the appearance?

Someone please explain this to me as I struggle to find any recent information that gives a straight forward answer.

Thanks!

You need to loot it on a character which has leather as primary armor type.

This must have been changed as of the pre-patch. I have done countless runs of Heroic Nighthold and I have with my warrior been able to collect an almost full set for my Paladin (Battleplate of the Highlord).
So when I did a run after pre-patch as usual up to and including Trilliax and finally got the Greatmantle to drop it was never unlocked on Pally.

This may have been an oversight that it worked prior and if so i guess I should count myself lucky but it sucks too with this “change” as there is one shot/week now :/.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.