Confusion about cosmological forces in the lore

So I’ve stumbled upon this graph:
World of Warcraft Cosmology Chart in Color - Wowhead News

How does this make sense in the current story in dragonflight? The titans seem to be very heavily connected to the light, but according to this graph they seem to be close to the arcane. How does this work in the story? I’m confused now about the actual role of the titan keepers, and how the cosmological forces have to be interpreted in the story of the game. What also confused me is the hierarchy. Didn’t Kil’Jaeden create the lich king? How does that make sense then that people empowered by the fel are behind most of the undead lore in the game. It’s very confusing overall. Apparently the titan keepers are also responsible for the emerald dream, and this is now where I kinda stopped understanding the story and what the forces here mean exactly. Seems to be kind of wild/chaotic.

On a side note: It’s clear where we can position elves, trolls, humans, dwarves, etc. on this chart, but what about shamanistic creatures like orcs, gronns, ogres, etc. from draenor. I feel like that their lore in this context seems to be weird and I’m not sure what force they are connected to.

The titans use pretty much any force they can get their hands on, as long as they can get it to serve their purpose of ordering the world. So some titan servants might use Light like Tyrr, some might use Life like Eonar, but all are beings of arcane magics with a tendency to strife to shape the world according to a plan.

Shadowlands retconned/clarified that one a bit. It was always the case that it was the Dreadlords that gave Kil’Jaeden the tools to create the Lich King. And Shadowlands made the Dreadlords into secret agents of the viallainous lords of Death.

But really, it doesn’t matter so much. The Burning Legion is after destruction and chaos, and the Lich King was a tool they tried to use to achieve it. One that almost instantly tried to turn against them, by the way.

Well, we’ll probably go deeper into that one sooner or later, but just keep in mind that the whole thing of the titans is taking over the world, and imposing rules upon it. They might just have done the same to (parts of) the realms of Life.

On that you’re not alone. I don’t understand what good aligning the demi-gods of the World of Warcrat with some cosmic powers did, when it doesn’t really have much of an impact, since they still act as individual characters. I’d genuinely recommend to ignore the powers as much as possible, and just looking at the characters involved.

In general: Everything that is calles “mortal” is dependent on the balance of cosmic forces not shifting too much from what it is now.

More specific on the Draenor crew: They were created when a titan meddled with the primordeal Draenor, that was overgrown with a devouring kind of life. Over time the creatures the titan created were “corrupted” by the life forces, and thus ever smaller and more living creatures arose. So the dominant forces in the cration of orcs and friends were Order and Life. That doesn’t really make any difference, though, just look at them as mortals, and you’re fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.