Corruption vs Titanforge

I think im not understanding some things about this new system.
Most if not all the content creators I rely on for my WoW news keep singing its praises and I don’t get it.
Keep in mind, this isn’t me just complaining about the new system, I really do want to know what I am missing.
In my view with the old loot system whenever an item dropped we had 3 layers of RNG:

1. Did the right item drop?
  2. Did it Titan Forge or Warforge? (Binary choice)
  3. Does it have a socket? (Binary choice)

With the new system It seems we have the same amount of layers of RNG. Layer #1 is unchanged layer #2 is still a binary thing, an item either did or did not corrupt, but layer #3 instead of a binary thing turns into a complete lottery with 15+ possibilities. Now I think that’s worse in every possible way under any circumstances, but given how the balance for corruption looks its especially bad.
I mention balance because the last hotfix nerfed Infinite stars by 25%, and all that has achieved that instead of it being 100% more dmg than the next best thing for most classes, its only 50% more damage.
So, am I missing something? Is there some part of the corruption system or the old system I’m not considering? Some math that makes this better than the old system?

1 Like

You don’t miss anything, it is by far worse than titaforging in the sense that now you have an extra layer of RNG which makes it even more complicated. So now there could be two explanations, either game designers have no clue about simple maths which doesn’t seem possible or they just think that their players are so ignorant they they will not notice.
In either cases, the only purpose it serves is to over complicate the loot acquisition so people won’t notice how empty and shallow this patch is.

2 Likes

It seems simple enough to me. You either keep your corruption level below the resistance level of your cloak, or you weigh up whether the extra benefit of a corrupted item outweighs the negative effects of the corruption itself. And it’s situational. Our guild leader received an item with 70+ corruption but a benefit that would do massive frontal cone AOE damage when it procced. Worth it for some fights, but not for others.

I like it because it isn’t a binary choice. You have to weigh the pros and cons, and not everyone will decide the same. Personally, I hate movement impairing effects, so any corruption at all (over my cloak’s resistance) will have to come with extremely good benefits for my class/spec for me to consider it worthwhile.

The main difference is that you’d want every item to TF with socket, while you only want 3 or 4 corrupted items out of 15 slots. You want the right corruption affix, sure but beside that the overall system has less RNG since you only want a third of your items or less corrupted

Also unlike TF the weekly chest and some weapons in the raid have 100% chances to corrupt, the weapons having fixed corruption affixes too.

1 Like

I didn’t know about the weekly chest, but doesn’t that just make the weekly disappointment chest worse? I mean instead of just hoping for a good item, now if its the right item but the wrong corruption it just feels worse no?
Your point of not wanting/needing every slot to corrupt is a valid one tough.

1 Like

Healers already complained about corruption and that with default UI you cannot turn the debuffs off…

1 Like

Dunno if it’ll be worse but it’ll definitely generate frustration and disappointment. Some effects are broken and it may feel bad if you get the wrong one on your weapons.

But compared to TF I wouldn’t call it worse for one reason : a bad item with TF will still be a bad item, but a bad item with broken corruption effect will be very close to your BIS. Negate some of the chest RNG imo

I didnt understand why i suddenly had to dispell my tank so much in shrine, found out it was the grasping tendrils :sweat_smile: he can keep that debuff :smiling_imp:

This is not accurate though. It was never a binary roll between either warforged or titanforged, those terms are just fancy words slapped on an upgraded item. But the actual rolls were multiple sub-rolls for +5 ilvls in succession. So the Forging system was like:

1. right item?
  2. Roll for forged item (+5 ilvls)?
    • Roll for another +5?
      • Roll for another +5?
        • Roll for another +5?
          • Roll for another +5?
            Repeat those rolls until one fails or the item reaches max ilvl;
  3. Roll for socket.
1 Like

Hmm, ok but in case of a 430 item titan forging to 455 that’s 5 rolls,6 if u include the socket. All 6 have a binary result. The new system means u have 1 roll but with 15+ possible outcomes out of witch (currently) 1 is ideal 2 are meh, and the rest are just bad.

The cynical part of me thinks they came up with a system so horrendous that people wouldn’t think TF was so bad.

I hate that it’s just one RNG system for another. I prefer the old days of simple RNG, will the boss drop loot yes/no, will that loot be the item I want yes/no.

5 Likes

I got today ring 445 with corruption infinite stars but that ring give me 70 corruption !! mean when i equip it i get on 72 corruption ! That is 4 thing that dmg/slow/drain my character when they pop up. I even die on one normal mogu npc because i spawned two eyes that were hitting me for 25-35k with big radius and i could not run out of radius because slow and stupid paladin is immobile class. So Infinite stars good dps boost but it is not worthy for corruption thing hitting like truck so i fear even lowest of lowest mobs.

Your cloak rank is still pretty low. Once you upgrade your cloak more, you’ll have more corruption resistance. On level 6,you will also receive an on use effect that cancels all negative corruption effects every 2 or 3 minutes, forgot the cool down.

You also have an essence that grants you another 10 (i think it’s 10) corruption resistance

So don’t purge the ring just yet. You might be able to use it soon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.