Covenants are going to ruin Shadowlands

If you are going to put different cosmetics, themes, rewards and story behind every covenant, maybe let people actually… you know… choose the covenant they like the most instead of forcing a decision on people by giving them 1 right choice and 3 wrong choices?

I don’t understand why blizz always has to come up with these new flawed systems, we all know that once it’s live it will never be fixed, so just give us talent rows and make every covenant equally strong so that people will be able to choose what they like the most, not what’s strongest.

19 Likes

It will be a 100% failure with combat abilities tied to it.

The borrowed power madness is continuing.

13 Likes

It’s just Legion and BfA all over again where you are punished for playing alts / multispecs / multicontent, but right now you are also punished for making a decision based on cosmetics, which will end up hurting your power gain. Not going Venthyr and picking Theodar for PvE is trolling with how stuff is looking, as an example. Really, all of this new stuff should be talents, to let people maximize themselves. It’s just gatekeeping in the worst way possible.

I mean I personally like the layers of complexity and customization, I think it’s cool - what’s not cool is that you will never be able to make the right choice between the covenants.

1 Like

Launching the systems and players going along with it, then fixing it buys them a lot more time than if they got it right from the start.

2 Likes

Well, beta is going up next week. So I urge everyone who gets access to log in, test the covenants/soulbinds VIGOROUSLY and be sure to report any balance issues. That’s the only way we’ll see some changes. But hey, that may be wishful thinking. We’ll probably just see a bunch of blizzard hating threads saying the system sucks without any actual breakdown or feedback, meaning it’ll go live with unbalanced values and abilities.

5 Likes

This why I will just choose whichever one I like the most thematically. Screw the numbers, as they will be likely to change anyway.

The luxury of being a casual I suppose.

5 Likes

I dont think it will ruin it. Most of the covenant abilities are 2-3 min cd buttons. So your general rotation is the same. It is much worse for others tho such a monk night fae.

However I 100٪ agree combat abilities should.not be tied to covenants. Everything else can be including soulbinds. Not the abilities tho. Hell we are the mawwalker, we should be able to use whatever we god damn please.

Note im not asking to change covenant. I believe you should be hard locked into your covenant. But im picking my covenant on aesthetic and cosmetic rewards, and will likely f myself in the long run due to abilities not being equal in powet or fun

1 Like

I really hate this, so much.

Just let classes be classes, specs be specs.

3 Likes

Only for min/maxer, most peps will enjoy it.

I agree i’d love to play with The Angelic covenent but i’ve heard the vampire one give you around 1-2% increase And you know a lot of people will sim that.

I guess that applies to hardcore raiders, since if you are a casual (like me), you can choose whatever you enjoy the most and go with it.

But i can understand why some people are worried.

If you choose between a red fireball, a green fireball and a blue fireball, which all have identical stats, then it’s not a choice.

Chosing different colour out of 3 is not a choice? What is this then?

Meh… I’ll stick with the covenant I like the most.
I don’t care whether another covenant will have abilities that are “better for me”.

Never cared about min-maxing.

Let’s say that is true which really isn’t ,since alot more poeple than min maxer will have to min max otherwise they won’t get to do their content(you don’t have to be min maxer or casual you can be aspiring mythic raider etc and you need to try and start working on your character better).
With that in mind imagine if you could just freely swap the abbilities still locked into the covenant? You wouldn’t lose anything as a “casual” yet you wouldnt force the biggest issues ever on everyone else. It’a a win-win scenario which i don’t understand why isn’t promoted more ,and most of the times hated by the casual community?

Well, I didn’t say what was or wasn’t true…

I just said I don’t care whether one Covenant is better or not. I’ll stick with the one I like the most either way. And that I personally have never cared about min-maxing my characters.

If you are a aspiring mythic raider, you clearly arent a casual.

My only point about this issue was that for me, personally, its fine, since im a casual.

You can chose one of 4 different Covenants for different cosmetic rewards, visuals, story and thematic? Cool, that’s awesome! A real meaningful choice.

There are abilities tied to each covenant and they are game changing for your spec? Big nono, there’s no meaning choice in picking whoever does the more damage/heal.

I’m just freaking done with expansion featurettes existing in their own pocket universes and then going away.

You know that they will take them away in 10.0 and it will be a mess again, leaving your class as an empty husk. Heck, 9.0 is going to be a rough landing after you lose HOA, essences, azerite traits and your superinflated stats (corruption).

I don’t mind systems, but please make them STICK WITH US once we move to next expac. Like Glyphs introduced in Wrath. They lasted 3 expacs, it was a good system. Or gem system from TBC, that also lasted 3 or even 4 expacs (WOD and onward is laughingstock of actual gem system, 10 percent chance of single socket isn’t a gem system)

100% agree. Borrowed power is so boring it’s unreal. Who enjoys losing abilities they’ve used for an entire expansion, knowingly they wont have those abilities going into the next expansion.

Trying to fix ability bloat this way is a no-no.

Such odd game design.