Crazy FPS drops when panning camera since prepatch?

If you are experiencing stutters issue, then change your DX version in graphics settings to DX 11 Legacy, it will reduce amount of stutters or remove it completely. This is what helped me.

Not recommended except for ancient hardware.
This will cripple your FPS.
Anyways, the stuttering has been mostly fixed in the beta client, so there is hope.
Also, it only stutters the first time something new is loaded, mostly a shader compiling issue.
After the first stutter is runs smooth for me.

1 Like

I’ve been monitoring this and it started happening after the update on the 28th of September. Since then the game has ran extremely poorly.

1 Like

Massive stuttering help - its not my PC as can be seen in Classic with no stutter - And I now feel sick & I lowered everything to the lowest & zoned into Oribos & stutter sickness & rode my fox & vomit stutter … And no fps drops as I locked it to 60. Edit:- Just changed to Direct11Legacy, lowered fps to 30 max & NOTHING except STUTTER & sickness. I have zero ADDONS - its the camera issue again I think from years ago …

Also, definitely check out the GPU usage now. WoW drains so much of GPU it’s crazy.
I used to sit in SW with barely 10% GPU usage before pre-patch.
Now? Now it’s 90%+
It’s same graphics settings and all.

You now also gotta sit and wait when you login for all the textures to load properly, then the stuttering is a tad better, but whenever it needs to load new textures it will stutter.
Also notice how objects now load at much closer draw range than before? Before you had assets load a lot farther which was great.

Also:
Epic Battlegrounds are a NIGHTMARE now!

2 Likes

Hi all.

After some digging I believe I might have found the reason for the stutter issues. Blizzard recently added a new option called GxAllowCachelessShaderMode. The default value is 1 but when I disabled it, the stutter was like 99% better. At least in my case! To try it out you can do it with 2 ways:

1. AdvancedInterfaceOptions addon → Cvar browser → search for “gx” and then set GxAllowCachelessShaderMode to “0”
    or
  2. open your WoW folder directory and under Retail > WTF > Config.txt paste this into the file: SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0”

Hope I helped :slight_smile:

32 Likes

Same problem here. Game macro freezes, fps jumping from 120 to 50 etc. Had no issues pre patch.

i5 9600k
RTX 2070 S
16 GB 4DDR

It seems that Asfx’s solution works somehow. It helped me.

I have tried that and it looks like it helped a lot !! :smiley: THX MAN !! Wow is saved !!

+1
More people should see this.

1 Like

that’s the answer!

This fixed 90% of the problem.
The stutter is still there, but mild.
The GPU usage is still terrible though, but until official fix this is the answer.

10 Likes

Can confirm this helped a ton! Some stutter for sure remains, should have an official respond/fix

1 Like

Thank you. Definitely fixed it somewhat for me too. Stutter still remains quite a bit though, I guess this is the fix until we have an official update from Blizz.

1 Like

Problem solved 80%.

This confirms that it is not a Hardware problem. But I hope Blizzard will release a fix soon.

2 Likes

70% here it still spikes a lot less thp

Same here

i5-12400f
16gb (2x8) DDR5 4800MHZ
1tb NVMe M.2 SSD
GTX 2060KO Ultra

I really doubt it’s the hardwere

Amazing work! Helped a lot, GPU performance not great but at least somewhat playable now.

Thanks, this helped me too. Didn’t fix it fully but made it a lot less laggy. Thank you!

if i got a dollar for every directX 12 game that have shader related stuttering i’d be rich now. its like developers dont know how to program for it, unlike monster hunter rise which preloads shaders on launch