CRZ/Sharding killed the mmorpg

I know server stability is the card they are constantly pulling when people raise the effect of this new system but go to any non blizzard wow server and it supports a lot more people than current retail servers do. Like 5 times more.

Devs, Blizzard, CMs, Ion, Bobby, whoever might read this, just bring back the world of warcarft. Wasn’t it that the world was the main character of WoW and the other main character was the player? Now it feels like a lobby game and it lost all appeal. No wonder people are unsubbing when content void is supposed to be filled with human interactions which today’s wow is horribly lacking. No one is going to form bonds with a bunch of nobodied from a realm they’ve never seen and who treat them like NPCs. Bring back a cohesive world like before WM.

6 Likes

Sharding was introduced as a means of Blizz to obscure the death of some servers during WoD.

Instead it is killing WoW every new xpac. Like just let it go. Nobody cares that half the realms are dead. Merge them all into 1 and continue with lets say 15 good fully populared realms and when the game is good again then introduce more new realms. Stop holding onto old glory. Make new fun things happen. But please revive the world and no I don’t mean with WQs and Callings and whatever that is just lazy. All the new zones feel so cheesy.

1 Like

You are absolutely right Tralandrel.

One of the things I’ve noticed in Shadowlands is that Oribos, at least on my server, isn’t sharded at all. It’s not sharded by warmode and it’s not sharded by server. It’s just our merged server community.

And it feels amazing. People there are active, you meet people you’ve often met, you see your guildies joking around rotating around on their mounts, you meet the trolls, you get hugged and spat on and everything in between, you can sense the bustling life, more people at some points in the day and less in others.

I actually noticed this before I even knew about it. I was wondering what was going on, and then I looked carefully at the realms and the names, and then finally looked it up.

The entire game should be like Oribos. All of it. And if that makes some servers too big or too small, just merge them or put in queues. It is essential.

1 Like

I sincerely hope that they are trying to test the waters with Oribos. Really fingers crossed that we will get a cohesive world back…

2 Likes

just give players a last name then it will be easier to merge because you can have jon smite and jon elron on the same server :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you use scales and on one end put a cohesive world and on the other player names I’d always sacrifice the names. Like who cares, just find a new one and find a new path to walk. We are talking about the world here. If the world is bad nobody is going to keep playing the game.

1 Like

Or just merge them and ask someone to rename. It really isn’t that big of a deal, but optional surnames could work. RP’ers certainly wouldn’t mind, that much I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Also, for high pop realms they can replace sharding with layers. It worked well enough in Classic. It’s not perfect, but it’s so much better than CRZ, there’s literally no contest.

1 Like

to be honest i don’t see them back tracking on this just as ilvl scaling was not backtracked on blizzard refuses to accept that their systems are bad

I refuse to believe they are that stubborn. I believe that they are cutting corners on the wrong content. If we had 1 less dungeon (like no mega dungeon) per expansion and used those resources to have nice realms I’d 200% take that instead. Just look at RP realms. They have something like this so it means its not impossible, although it is a bit laggy, but even that I’d take as a trade.

CRZ and sharding are one of the worst additions to the game.
Both are just illusion, that world is “alive” which it isn’t.
Not to mention, that you’re forced to server hop if you want to tame/kill/farm any rare. Because most of them are camped 24/7 by bots and nolifers… At least RP realms do not have this useless CRZ garbage, so u can realm hop there.

1 Like

I still hope to this day that Blizzard is reading any of this. If they invested in these servers a bit, it would return their revenue tenfold.

I am sorry but you should hear this, even in RP servers there is Sharding in Oribos… realm is Argent Dawn.

I just send party invites to my friends (same realm) then I get to their phase…

Thanks for saying what i’ve said since these bs additions was added at start of MoP OP. We need more people to be vocal about this frequently!

CRZ wasn’t introduced as means to balance server stability. It was introduced to fill older, less populated zones with more people. And that might have killed the mmorpg. But Sharding didn’t, by the time Sharding was introduced CRZ already did it’s damage. Also sharding is a way to balance server load for better stability but it didn’t kill anyhing because whatever you think it killed was dead long before. CRZ was introduced in Cataclysm while Sharding in Legion and they are completely seperete technologies that can work without each other. CRZ populates the zones with players from multile realms while sharding splits players in a zone to more server stable shards.

Still I don’t think CRZ is the real culprit here. It’s the game’s popularity combined with elitism of playerbase that killed mmorpg aspects. Too many players that don’t like mmorpgs started playing WoW, too many players with the mentality that only endgame matters, too many players that want a single player experience. This is the casue of many changes game underwent, including introduction of CRZ.

well sharding is awful
for call to arms in BFA wm on you either have ppl fighting
or you have 5 players flying around not finding anyone and it gets boring
also war mode cant replace pvp servers
only complaints about it in legion were tanks/ppl grouping up on you on FFAs

And all of that was caused by the same thing i have said numurous times. LFD, LFR and so on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.