CurseForge_Overwolf asking for money, is that allowed?

I checked that new overwolf platform, and it looks like they will start charging for some addon, or at the very least they will make ppl to donate to get acces to the addon ( Premium addon content they call it). Without paying , Overwolf and Curseforge will not let you dive into this section where, and this is just my opinion atm btw…the most critical wow addons will be gathered, such as DBM or damage meters and other stuff like that.
WHAT IS THE STANCE OF WOW DEVELOPWERS ABOUT THIS? Is this what we have come to, pay for addons? PREMIUM ADDONS MY A…SSS

4 Likes

There was always premium addons that people did buy for real money.
Im aware of that since WoD that a top tier booster guild for real life money was selling them, nobody harmed them since then and nobody will.

These addons are specific encounter addons people use in world top 100 race. Its nothing new and yes indeed its sad.

Applications May Not Charge Premiums To Use The APIs . “Premium” versions of Applications offering additional for-pay features are not permitted, nor can players be charged money to download an Application, charged for services related to the Application, or otherwise be required to offer some form of monetary compensation to download or access an Application when those features use the Blizzard Developer APIs. Likewise, Applications may not include interstitials soliciting donations before features or functionality becomes available to the player. Also, players may not be required to watch a video advertisement before accessing a feature or function of the application.
https://www.blizzard.com/en-gb/legal/a2989b50-5f16-43b1-abec-2ae17cc09dd6/blizzard-developer-api-terms-of-use

The addons can not be locked behind a pay wall or do anything above asking for donations to help support the development outside of the game.
I forgot what addon it was, maybe OQueue, but back in MoP an addon got in trouble for having a donation button in game.

People need to understand these platforms do not own these addons.
It’s simply an addon manager. They can lock their own services, but not the addons themselves.
And if they do that then they do so with the addon creators blessing and/or support.

3 Likes

like??? NAME ONE

I was a nub back then to ask him such questions, but for sure there was an auto-kick/ auto-stun addon back in WoD.

I do remember when i was pressing my BoS on DK was like pressing the other players stun on my head the same time.
No real player would drop a pala stun over an antimagic shell as well :slight_smile:

curse forge and overwolf will do exactly that…PREMIUM ADDON , look it up aint no joke. And most developers who will publish will push their addons in there. Espect to pay For DBM, dmg meters and whatnot, unless Blizzard will start banning Curse Forge, PERIOD
Tomorrow i plan on calling Blizzard, the guys on Forbes already booked an interview for this mid week
premium adds my a$$… #bancurseforge

dont use overwolf, uninstall that malware ASAP.

use wowup or just download your addons directly from curseforge website

7 Likes

Then they’ll be directly breaking the first rule of the Blizzard Developer TOS.

1 Like

oh, there was one…of with u dont remember the name.
THE AUTO KICK was a CHEAT and ppl using it got perma’d , pal. I am speaking about ADDONS, not cheats

Despite about it being a cheat, it was still an addon.
Until people will get it massively, there is always the first few ones that pay it.

1 Like

I kinda wish Blizzard to stop Curse Forge and denie them acces to their api, period. Curse Forge are as guilty of this as Overwolf are.
PREMIUM ADDONS… really blizzard did not see this coming?

2 Likes

For the third time I’m replying to you then:

No matter how much I dislike Overwolf, the only thing to my knowledge you’d be paying for is to have it ad-free. That is supposed to be an option, not mandatory.

Sort of reminds me of what Bethesda did. Offer some mod offers a dribble of cash revenue for letting Bethesda sell their mod as a cash shop item.

That overwolf just sounds worse by the minute really?

More like, you’re paying to not get infected with malware.

3 Likes

If DBM and such essential addons become paid only Im sure there will be head gonna roll because of this.

Well yea. I’ll never install that on my comp.

It still isn’t what he claims it to be, a paywall for addons.

Care to show where is it look like they will be charging for premium addons? I don’t see anything indicating that in the app. Also if they would do that it still would have to be up to the author of that addon to make that decision, they don’t own any addons there, they just host them.

This would be totally different because in the case of Bethesda Creation Club it is Bethesda, the owner of the game, the one who sells the mods. I am not a big fan of Skyrim paid mods and I never pay for a single one given that there are hundreds of free options better than any of those, but no one could deny that there is totally different thing between having a mod published with the owner of the game, what in essence is just a DLC, and having a third party like Overword profiting for content from a game that they don’t own. Even Bethesda does not tolaterate this, in fact, they are fewer permissives than Blizzard about third parties owning money from their game without authorization, it took them years to allow mod authors to receieve money from patreon donations.

Use wowup!

3 Likes

DBm is trash anyway