Damage shown in abilities' tooltips equation?

Does anyone know currently in Shadowlands, what the exact equation is? Browsing around, for example, for hamstring for warrior, it says that damage is 15% of Attack power, where a naked level 60 warrior has 453 attack power (maybe slightly different for other races, I’m orc), which would mean 67.95 physical dmg, or just 68, but the tooltip for hamstring says 74 (actual dmg is less cause of armor reduction but I’m not talking about that).

I’ve searched for hours, but the most recent equation I could find was posted pre-BFA which was AP + 6 * WDPS. But this isn’t accurate anymore, I’ve checked it for charge, hamstring and heroic leap, with my character naked, or with 3 different white/gray weapons, or with 2 different 252ilvl weapons or even fully geared, it just doesn’t work. Does anyone know the equation for it with a naked character and with a character with just a weapon equipped?

Damfino.

I checked my naked 52 Warr.

208 Str = 208 AP. Hamstring tooltip 40 damage = 19.2%

Added chest 50 Str

258 Str = 258 AP, Hamstring tooltip 50 damage = 19.3%.

But your 74/453 is 16.3%

I have to conclude that my numbers are off by the level scaling.

Hm. When the devs do their minor nerfs and buffs in patches, they sometimes apply them to spells by class and by spec. Does the toioltip change when you change spec? I don’t see Hamstring in the list of any effects from Warriors in any of the spec pages like https://www.wowdb.com/spells/137050-fury-warrior but that doesn’t mean a lot.

The last time I went diving into these kinds of numbers was in Legion, I think, and I ended up finding my answer in the Simulationcraft source code. That’s the best I can suggest.

Maybe you could find a theorycrafter in the Warrior Discord who might know. or ask here on the Warrior forum.

I actually kinda figured it out…
For arms in general its 1.09*(6wdps + STR) * modifier
for example for 252 ilvl twohand (77.9 wdps) and assumed 557 AP/STR and hamstring which has a modifier of 0.15 its:
(6*77.9 + 557) * 0.15 = 167 physical dmg.

Besides the hidden 1.09 general hidden multiplier, I also found so far that slam has an extra hidden 1.2 multiplier (besides the extra 1.5 and 1.6 for rank 2 and rank 3), arms bladestorm has a hidden 1.4 multiplier, and there are probably more cases like this. Probably lazy programming. Frustrating, but oh well.

1 Like

Good for you!

Did you compare them against the most recent patch notes?

not really, might be a good idea for someone to do that though. FWIW i found the fury multiplier is 1.29 (vs 1.09 for arms). Bit weird that its 1.29 and 1.09 instead of 1.30 and 1.10. shrug

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.