Dead servers MEGATHREAD - Ghostlands/Dragonblights plea to Blizzard

Happy to see people are still keeping this post going even though Vintoleth is on a break. They have to hear us sometime right? Right?..

2 Likes

I’ve given up hope at this point tbh :man_shrugging:

1 Like

“Realms” could just be seen as character name suffixes IF they made it possible for you to join a guild regardless of the one you’re on and allowed trading between all realms.

Most people do not want a naming debacle or for their realm to be merged with one of a foreign language (which brings in various issues.)

Just remove the restrictions around realms and issue is sorted.

1 Like

guess its easier to not listen.

2 Likes

For sure, they can cash in on those server and faction transfers a bit more.

4 Likes

Thats still gonna be a beating a dead horse strategy in the long run. Many casuals would rather quit, and they have. Idk, this plan just seems so stupid I cant fathom why they arent doing anything to steer the ship.

2 Likes

I agree. Not sure why they havent picked up on the connections again. They wanted the SL hype to calm down first. Well, the hype is long gone, less and less are playing the game, they can safely resume the connections again.

4 Likes

They already heard.

They just don’t intend to do anything.

3 Likes

Took them 1 night to connect so many Classic servers when TBC launched.

Feels really bad when there are so many dead retail servers that has been dead for 5+ years or more.

But hey, lets remove /spit emote that’ll fix wow and sex scandals.

2 Likes

Congratz :slight_smile: Always happy to hear that we still have one or two guilds trying and suceeding. Unfortunately though, 2 mythic raiding guilds on an entire (connected) realm still isn’t enough to be a draw to bring mythic raiders from other realms. So we’re still, with the best will in the world, in a downward spiral.

I suspect what happened is, that hype settled down, they moved people onto other things, that were easier to solve, because the last round of Connections obviously raised some fairly major technical issues, we got put on the back burner and now, with everything else that is going on, including a lot less staff and a lot less of the more experienced staff, doing Connections again would raise even more issues than before, if indeed they have the will or the right people left to do it.

3 Likes

I wonder if that’s more down to the fact that the Classic servers are newer and were perhaps created initially with a more easy way to connect? SL servers now must surely be based on older technology/programming?

1 Like

I mean… Blizz not thinking in advance to check what the predominant language on servers was, isn’t really a technical issue. More an american one, if we’re honest.

For the EU, they absolutely must scout the server; that means a Blizzard employee sitting down, at a PC, with WoW, joining that server, and going to a major city and just watching /1 and /2 for a while. And then they need to figure out which languages they’ve seen - which won’t necessarily be easy if all the employee speaks is english, but let’s assume Blizz are not a small indie dev and can find the resource.

And then, once they realise that they have an unofficial swedish server, maybe they avoid linking that up with an english one. Because it doesn’t benefit players to have more people around if they’re not talking the same language. It’s just visuals without any actual potential for guild recruitment.

It’s not a technical issue, it’s a sociological one, and for some reason, Blizz have simply run away from the problem and tried to hide under some coats until it goes away.

Everything shards, ergo, everything is modern. There’s no situation I can imagine where a server would be running old code at any level. The player base loves to suggest Blizz get better servers (duh), but odds on these are something absurd like 256 CPUs and a few terabytes of memory. They’ll be up to date on a technical level :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Sorry … what I meant by technical issues were where people lost their banks, or their characters, or where character information got mixed up, etc … stuff that required them to halt the process occasionally simply to fix the glitch. Obviously things like predominant languages is something that really should have been thought about and included in calculations but hey, common sense is not all that common and less so, apparently, amongst some of the chaps at Blizzard :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the age of servers … I don’t know, I was just putting it out there. I can play wow on a brand new machine with top of the range kit in it, or a 12 year old machine … doesn’t mean both machines are equivelant and can do the same thing. I just wondered if, when setting up the Classic servers, they took the opportunity of cleaning out any bugs that don’t make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but make things less cobwebby going forward, whereas retail is built on older foundations.

And lets face it, most companies don’t generally tend to spend money getting “up to date” equipment unless there is a need for it. And WoW feels like it’s on a decline anyway (certainly from my servers point of view), so why go out of their way to spend money updating when they don’t know how long is left … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Needs another bump

4 Likes

What it needs is proper attention from Blizzard to adress this problem, preferebly before the end of the decade.

3 Likes

Would be nice if this could be re-visited

4 Likes

would have been nice if this was fixed 5 years ago but now will do.

3 Likes

Moonglade/Steamwheedle Cartel/The Sha’tar, one of the now three remaining EU RP (cluster)servers, is currently stuck at low population pretty much whenever I check. The RP population is tiny (and shrinking in the wake of the Blizzard lawsuit). We could -really- use the merge with Defias et al.

The idea that all us non-AD folk would be able to RP together had plenty of people I know quite hyped, and yet it turned into bitter disappointment as we’ve been pretty much left to die with not just one, but now two significantly bigger (thus attractive to a new player) competitors flanking us.

Let us join the rest of the small servers. :pray:

3 Likes

Come on Blizzard. We’re not going to stop asking.

2 Likes

Nor are they going to stop ignoring…

2 Likes