Death Knights, who am I?

Hi all,

Can someone please help me with how DKs fit in to the world? I guess I am struggling with our ‘‘purpose’’. What did we resolve to do once Arthas was killed? Are we content on helping do menial quests and tasks?

I just want to hear thoughts on how you fit yourself in now. Has your character tried to ‘‘get back to normal’’? Are they trying to reconnect with what they lost when they were killed? Do they feel they have a duty to protect the living? I just really need some inspiration, I can’t see a DK sitting in an inn by the fire, or fishing in my garrison…

No. My DKs are (un-)dead, and they grudgingly accept the fact that they cannot ‘go back to normal’, because of that.

Yes and no… My DKs feel obligated to use their powers for good. If that includes tasks which might be considered “beneath a veteran of the 3./4. war” - the old DKs have some atoning to do. Besides, even a DK may need money to repair equipment, replace weapons, and such. That money can come from more or less menial tasks.

Perhaps. (It can make interesting RP situations.) :sunglasses:

Quite possibly. If I remember correctly, one of the mottos of the death knight order hall is, “We do what the living cannot.”

2 Likes

Can someone please help me with how DKs fit in to the world?

We don’t fit into the world. If you played through the opening scenario, there’s a point at the end where Fordring pledges the Ebon Blades to defeating Arthas - not as a part of the Argent Crusade, but apart from it because “we don’t belong in the world”.

What did we resolve to do once Arthas was killed?

I… think this is more to do with lore gaps in WoW. There are many glaring inconsistencies. Take for instance a Lightforged Draenei that runs around in Outland fighting the same Illidan that has jailed himself with Sargeras in order for the Lightforged Draenei to be able to run around Azeroth and Outland-Draenor.

We will have to find our own purpose, because we were once halo features during Wrath of the Lich King, but after that we were ignored for shinier and newer halo features.

That makes it so that you, I, and every other who play a Death Knight have to figure that out ourselves, and considering the broken nature of the Lore, we’ll have to find the crumbs where we can.

That sounds more negative than I intended. I think Blizzard is, somewhat, fixing this with Shadowlands. They’re hiding the old expansions, and Chromifying them. New Death Knights will have another starting experience, rather than the Lich King one. And then those new Death Knights will head to Zandalar or Kul Tiras. It will be better.

2 Likes

The way my Gnome Death Knight has verbalized it before is that Death Knights are like fire: it exists, it’s dangerous, you don’t want it to roam free; but if you have it, it’s better to control it, keep warm and cook a meal with it than stomp it out. And maybe scare away some of the creatures that roam in the dark.

2 Likes

What a lot of dk players seem to forget, despite the Arthas being dead, is the endless hunger, which is still there. Every death knight needs to inflict pain, unless they go mad. And this gives countless possibilities for rp… Here is you reason. You might not care about horde/alliance conflict, but you keep fighting their wars because it gives you a reson to sate your hunger. You can rp
as someone who embraced it and revels in the conflict. So yeah, there is no peaceful life for death knights after Arthas is gone. You fight, or you go mad. How you chose to do it, is entirely up to you, but there is no “back to normal” for a death knight

What kind of lilly-livered sack of waste of space do you think Death Knights are? There’s still a whole ARMY of undead to corral, cull and possible hunt down former lieutenants of the Scourge, and then there’s the natives of Northrend itself to contend with, those nerubians ain’t gonna be sitting on their behinds for long periods of time, considering a few hundred thousand of them are born every other week, (mostly spiderlings but some powerful varians show up every now and then) and even then, there’s still younger generations of Death Knights to foster and shape into sharp instruments worthy of being wielded by the Jailer of the Damned, the Deathlord and the Four Horsemen.

Every single day is another chance to kill something, to learn something new, and even if you grow bored of that, there’s mercenary work, joining a guild that has open minds (Accepts Death Knights)

Worst case scenario, you might as well give up your life, and surrender yourself to Oblivion.

But that’s just how my char sees it, some have families or friends they wish to reconnect with and all I can say is… SCREW THAT DRIBBLE

What, now that Arthas is dead, you want to crawl into a corner and die?

I mean, that’s an option. Delete your character. Call it the ultimate RP? For the rest of the DK’s, the ones that aren’t so willing to give up on existing, there’s an endless list of threats to beat down.

Well, we don’t belong in this world. Not anymore. But should that stop us? Nay lad, we press on. The utter absurdity of this world is our ultimate stage, and we must keep dancing around the endless pit for as long as we can before we are devoured by it once more…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.