Decay system

Why a Decay System is Crucial for WoW Arena Ratings

As a WoW arena player, you know that the ratings system is essential for determining your skill level and progress in the game. However, have you ever considered the benefits of a decay system for arena ratings?

A decay system involves reducing a player’s rating over time if they don’t continue to actively play and improve their skills. Here are some reasons why implementing a decay system would be beneficial for WoW arena players:

Encourages Consistency and Active Play
A decay system encourages consistent and active play. Without a decay system, players can achieve a high rating and then stop playing, which can result in inflated rankings and an unfair advantage. However, a decay system ensures that players must continue to play and improve their skills to maintain their rating.
Provides a More Accurate Representation of Skill
A decay system provides a more accurate representation of a player’s skill level. If a player hasn’t played for a while, their skills may have deteriorated, and they may no longer be at the same level as their rating suggests. A decay system ensures that players are consistently matched with opponents of similar skill levels, leading to a more accurate representation of their true skill.

Enhances Competition
A decay system enhances competition by providing a more level playing field. It ensures that players must continue to actively play and improve their skills to maintain their rating, leading to more challenging and competitive matches.

Encourages Diversity in the Meta
A decay system encourages diversity in the meta by preventing players from solely relying on a specific strategy or composition to achieve a high rating. With a decay system in place, players must continue to adapt and evolve their strategies, leading to a more diverse and dynamic arena meta.

In conclusion, implementing a decay system for WoW arena ratings would be beneficial for all players. It encourages consistency, provides a more accurate representation of skill, enhances competition, and encourages diversity in the meta. So, let’s push for a decay system in WoW arena ratings!

35 Likes

Yes please, a Decay System would be lit!

10 Likes

Can we not have the same r1 player get 5 r1 spots per spec in ladder?

9 Likes

This is also based.

Yes but blizzard doesn’t care, they don’t even pump mmr into 3s so it’s actually possible to get gladiator.

So i doubt anything will change.

Next lvl would be get r1 but not glad xD

100% they should have made r1 per account, it’s unfair and ridiculous.

3 Likes

Wont happen that’s why i have 2 dks at 3k ready for 2 spots

I mean if they keep 3s deflated and dead in the next season it would probably be easier to get r1 than glad and that would be hilarious.

Just hope 3s will be back soon but they need to make changes and holinka said they don’t have any thought for now.

All they need to do is gift everyone 200 mmr and it’s fixed with the weekly inflation

I agree that and spegnete

I don’t think it would fix anything, cause what inflate the ladder is mostly the % of people queuing.

The problem is the average player that feed the system don’t even play anymore as shuffle give them the same reward by just quing and waiting doing stuff beside compared to sit in lfg for hours like before.

Or 100 mmr per week.

1 Like

Only solution is actually inflating the season by 100mmr per week or we will have like 100 glad this season lol

1 Like

Decay is also a solution for those exploiting overpowered classes to reach high ranks and then stop playing after they get nerfed.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the reason why we have a rating inflation? I guess the devs hate the idea of a punishment and therefore implemented something that has somewhat the same effect without feeling so negative to the players.

per spec 100%, just to be sure u mean spec and not account. but i think it is safe to assume so

I think a decay system should´ve been added into the game ages ago, unfortunately i think its far too late to add a feature like that into current WoW for several reasons. Firstly the PvP playerbase isnt big enough. Then theres also the issue of it rippeling down into lower ratings where someone at say 1800 rating has to deal with a former R1 player who just dident touch his DH since the nerfs n what not.

Another issue we´re having if we´re looking at regular 2s and 3s is that its reliant on other players to match your schedule.
It would be an interesting idea to have achivements exclusively handed out at the end of season based on your current rating n force people to play weekly to avoid losing rating, although i personally just dont think it would work all that well in a game like WoW. Feeling forced to que for arena even when im not in the mood for playing it just turns a gamemode i enjoy into a chore for alot of people.

I also think the main thing this would do is make arena inactive all the way intill say the last few weeks or month of the season which isnt a desirable outcome and boosters would just wait till last week or so before finishing the boost so all in all it wont really accomplish anything n it´ll serve as an annoyance to regular players.

my biggest problem is people i meet keep getting banned for playing shuffles :joy:

its not a good enviroment for peoples nerves

Starting with your first point, regarding r1 players playing against lower rated players, isn’t something that would possibly be happening. Decay would start above 2.4 cr and stop once the inactive player falls below 2.4. Furthermore, decay would only interest CR and not MMR, so a decayed 2.4 player would still have the original MMR and not face 2.4 players (which is any case much higher than 1.8). For what concernes queuing as a “chore”, i wouldn’t feel like high rated players (with me humbly being one of them) consider queuing as so. Most of the times if you’re playing high rated in 3vs3 it’s because most of the content you play is 3vs3 or arena of some kind (something to also consider is that you wouldn’t have to queue everyday, but once a week a fixed number of games) To make it short, i think you’re missing the prospective of whose experience this change would actually have an impact on, and ladder activity would surely increase, since pvp players are mostly attached to their rating and even if they weren’t in the middle of the season, they still would have to queue more later on.

No I mean once you reach it then you got it on alt, the guy that play 4 rogue take 4 spot instead of 1.

2 Likes