Delves, a proper system or a massive fail

My idea ment to expand the delves mode (not changing the current version), if x gamemode not your cup of tea then dont do it.

I dont play rated pvp or mythic raids but i do m+ mostly. In raid i do lfr, normal, heroic raids often.

It’s not a case of x gamemode is not your cup of tea, it’s a case of lets not turn everything into a race against the clock.

Torghast was the same, putting a timer on it mean it just turned into yet another race against the clock to get the highest score and progress.

M+ is enough timed content IMO. This was specifically added for the casual player base as the fourth pillar of the game.

5 Likes

Well i like i said i dont want to force x gamemode to anyone.

Just wanted to give more option to players who enjoy challanges. I believe more gamemodes pleases more people.

But in the end, each of their own.

There is more to difficulty than a timer IMO.

I’m not telling you are wrong, just expressing my own exasperation with timers as a solution.

I’m just one player :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do this content for X amount of time and at the end, you’ll get this mount or this toy, etc.

Only when players find the rewards satisfactory, that’s when they have “fun” doing the content.

But are they really having fun doing the content?

This is why I wanted clarification, are we talking about gear (rewards) or how players experienced Delves?

Their plan is to have 9 difficulty tiers that give rewards with the highest giving the equivalent of Heroic raiding/Mythic +5(current +15 before the mythic changes). It basically means that this gear you obtain in delves can be used to do early mythic raid bosses / up to like +10(current +20) keys.

They’ll also have a few challenge level tiers with the last one being a comparable to mage tower tier of difficulty that is just for bragging rights for now! (Which is to say, no gear rewards tied there)

I’d say the system rewards-wise is what you want.

1 Like

unles you will be getting there mythic quality slots like in m+ ? yeah again - waste of time because pushing m+ will be much more important anyway

so usless because the gear everyone really wants will come from +8 GV .

unless they are brain dead easy and super fast because for hero gear from GV +2 will be muhc more efficient when spammed.

Is it? My priest has like 2 myth pieces and she can heal 20s and heroic raids just like everyone else. This isn’t for the mythic raiders or so :')

If you find it useless then great! I’m glad you consider yourself good enough. But this is amazing for a big % of the playerbase :dracthyr_shrug:

2 Likes

you are missing my point completly .

my main argument is it depends how they will be tuned.

if they will be even remotely challenging ? then people will just spam +8 which drops hc gear baseline + opens mythic quality GV slots

That’s the idea though? (: People who want to do +8s and heroic/mythic raiding don’t feel forced to do content that isn’t made for them.

Remember torghast? People like me loved it but others complained because they had to do it.

Visions? 1 475 item per week which is what +15s awarded from the weekly vault back in the day. People felt forced to do them.

Delves? Heroic/+5 tier gear for the more casual side of the playerbase (: It’s also great catchup for alts. Also it’s not spammable(for gear rewards) so you can’t just outfit yourself in heroic gear in a day off of them. It’s what people like Tah want.

4 Likes

If its like this then it will be mostly ignored by players.

Shame - we could have gotten real short 4th tier - raid with 4-5 bosses and 2-3 new dungeons instead wasting resources .

I didn’t realise that you were so close to the WoW dev process that you know the opportunity cost of different features.

Delves are intended for solo/casual players to provide them a progression path at endgame. Players who want the best gear as efficiently as possible will still do M+ as they always have done, nothing is changing for those players.

All that is changing is that Blizzard is providing something new for a section of the playerbase who have been historically underserved, or at least served inconsistently.

Plenty of people are looking forward to Delves as their most anticipated expansion feature - I have seen this sentiment expressed across multiple discussions and forums. In this respect it cannot be called a waste of resources, if there are players eagerly anticipating it.

Blizzard make use of data when it comes to making development decisions for WoW. The creation of Delves as a wholly new way of progressing at endgame is an indicator that they see in their data players who are not engaging with the traditional endgame pillars, and are dropping off the game shortly after the expansion launches. Blizzard would not be adding Delves to the game if they weren’t convinced it is going to be a net gain from a cost/revenue perspective.

2 Likes

The fact that this is aimed at the casual playerbase seems to be lost on so many.

This is for the fourth pillar!

I’m looking forward to working on my various cosmetic rewards from Delves.

5 Likes

I just hope it doesn’t become Island Expeditions 2.0 for Collectors, IEs seriously sucked in that regard…

This they will definitely be.

The gear caps at difficult 8/11 but it is hero track gear meaning you can upgrade it to within a few I levels of maximum gear.

As always I expect fully bis gear will be a mix of gear from all content but if all you are doing is playing solo then you don’t need perfect gear.

They mentioned a key system for higher level delves but it’s un clear if they mean key like a vision or key like an m+

As for the rest of your points I disagree with almost everything you have said but you are entitled to your own opinion

They have clarified in an interview with negura that there are 11 difficulties for 12 locations and that the 13th location unlock only after beating the rest on max difficulty and is locked to difficulty 11

Thankfully they don’t appear to have timers and while broadly I agree with the sentiment. If I may go off on a tangent, we saw with the healer mage tower what happens without one. At the highest level. Players just afk for 10 min after every difficult pull to reset lust or 2 min to reset CDs.

Consider the following. It is week 1 of a season. You have lucked into a +,20 weekly no leaver.

In a timer based system you brick the timer and now you can reset endlessly your CDs. You can do this because the timer which was to be the bar that measures if you group is able to advance to the next difficulty has expired. Now the game understands you are not ready for the next level and so provides the reset to speed you though the rest of the dungeon.

Without the timer you wouldn’t have that bar. So either the resets go away with no clear way for the game to know when to activate them. Or the game needs another way to measure if your party is able to go up to the next difficulty beyond just completing the dungeon.

The reality is with no timer in the scenario I described every boss miniboss and difficult pull would be accompanied by an incentive to afk for your cool downs. This breaks the flow of the and kinda ruins the fun. And I can’t think of a worse way to progress a difficult boss on a high difficulty at the start of a season than one that has you waiting 10 min for CDs.

Personally if it were me I would have m+ function similarly to raid with a boss resetting your lust when you pulled it. But this is prone to abuse and would need to be designed around either with mandatory trash that needs to die to spawn the boss. No trash nearby or pulling the boss also causing trash to be pulled. In any event you are severely limiting the ability to design a good dungeon or a good boss fight with these considerations. And so the lesser evil is sadly a timer. Anyway you slice it

can someone in 3 sentences summarize what these delves are?
I cba reading on casual world content XD

A mix of solo M+ dungeons and MoP Scenarios. Awards heroic raid level gear and can be upgraded to within a few ilvl of highest Mythic raid quiality gear. You can do them in groups.

Not sure it will last though because i’ve already seen quite a few people complain on twitter that you are now “forced” to run Delves for the first few weeks of every season.

1 Like