Demons, Warlocks, Demon Hunters and the Unexplored Cosmos of WoW

Hi Folks, a bit of lorecrafting and a bunch of questions coming at you.

Lately I’ve been getting really interested in Fel magic, how it works and who use it both in lore and in game. I’ve started learning more about warlocks and demon hunters and I was thinking about picking one of these or both up in game.

I always enjoy classes that are relevant to the lore or the current in-game developments the most. So for example, with Shadowlands coming up, playing a Death Knight is really tempting to me, since they are so inherently tied to the Shadowlands. I’ve always found Warlocks and Demon Hunters somewhat interesting, but I’ve never really felt they were relevant to the lore or the developments in the game (Aside from, obviously, Legion). I get that Warlocks are just mage’s who wanted to dabble more in the dark side of things and discovered fel magic and since are just trying to gain more and more power, while Demon Hunters are literally that, hunters of demons, while sort of being a demon theirselves. Using the demons’ own power against them.

I’ve really stayed away from Demon Hunters because I always tought they weren’t really relevant to the game anymore after Legion, especially in-game. I need some convincing otherwise. After watching one of Bellular’s recent videos on the unexplored cosmos of WoW, I got tempted to look into playing a warlock and/or Demon hunter again. In that video he mentioned that yes, we cut off the head of the Burning Legion. Archimonde is gone, KJ is gone, Sargeras is imprisoned. BUT there are more demons out there than we can count and he portrays some sort of ‘‘Demon Prime’’ which we supposedly haven’t met yet. Perhaps Demons are a much bigger part of the lore than I/we have always thought and perhaps there is way more to it than just the Burning Legion. It’s entirely possible that we will encounter more (important) demons and explore their homeworlds in future expansions. This would give me the relevancy I need to play a warlock or a Demon Hunter. What do you think of this piece of lorecrafting?

I am a big sucker for demons and the whole theme surrounding it. I’m a very big fan of Diablo’s angels vs demons aesthetic as well as the Darksiders franchise. I just need a little push to finally start exercising this fandom in WoW. I really want to know more about what the role of a warlock is in society and how they are relevant to the lore. I’m wondering the same about Demon Hunters. What is their role in society now that the Burning Legion is no longer a big threat? Is the relationship between a warlock and his demons the same as a shamans and his elementals? How is that relationship different for Demon Hunters? I would love to sort of RP a warlock who actually enjoys spending time with demons and genuinely finds them really interesting. I find it hard to come up with something similar for a Demon Hunter. What are your thoughts behind playing a Demon Hunter?

tl;dr: Need to know more about warlocks and Demon hunters, how are they (still) relevant to the lore, will we ever encounter demons again in the unexplored cosmos of WoW. Help me get into the fantasy of playing a warlock and/or Demon Hunter.

2 Likes

As far as I know, Warlocks are part of Horde and Alliance armies even lorewise. I cant recall from which novel, but Alliance uses warlocks against horde navy to blast them out.

These two classes are sort of shunned by townsfolk I believe, just like Ebon Blade, their orginisations - Council of Black Harvest and Illidari - still exist even today and keep on their own goals. Like there will be always some Demons to subdue or kill, its endless force. Fel itself stands for Chaos and Arcane for Order, so they are pretty relevant and always will be. And as long there is life the two will be constantly present to oppose each other.

Leader of BL were just characters, there was Fel before Sargeras and will continue after him. Eradar werr not even originally Demons, so whats the guarantee some others wont take their place, or some other race becomes corrupted.

Its an endless Fantasy my friend!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.