DF Survival hunter talent preview

Hello fellow hunters!

This will be my initial feelings and opinions on the Survival hunters talent tree preview we got last night. Be warned, it’s quite a long post.

So, first thing first, the below linked post lifts some huge issues about the tree. For example survival is by large and FAR the least developed tree by blizzard. The tree is drowning in bland weak numerical multi talent choices. And not only is a lot of the picks bland/weak, they are 2-3 talent point picks. And the whole tree in itself has vastly less actual talents to pick, further making those bad numerical talents make the tree feel lackluster. Just wanted to start with this, since it explained well why I felt the tree was so lackluster, even before we get to the actual builds.

Secondly, before we get to my opinions about the builds. I want to emphasize that I am a survival main that while I like the melee survival I would like to get back ranged survival in some fashion (was old survival main). And I would also love if they loosed the lame restriction of forced 2 handed weapons. This is merely cosmetic though, I just hate the combat animations for kill command and 2 handers, and I am having a hard time even finding a decent 2h transmog. So very sadge that they seem to keep turning a blind eye to the quite vocal requests to get dual wield for survival hunters…

On to the opinions: I will try to keep it short since the post is already long enough. But I personally feel there is some quite nice things about the survival tree, even in it’s really lacking and lackluster state. Yes, they are doing a lazy-boy and are “just” giving us the choice between current AoE bomb throwing spec (which I find fun but not at All very thematically accurate to the spec/class) and the older ST focused Mongoose fury/fury of the eagle spamming spec. So the positive about this is it seems we should have a viable ST spec and a viable AoE spec (if numbers tuning is right) and that is nice. But again, it is so lackluster that all they actually are doing is bringing back some old stuff to give us the choice to play like now-ish Or play like old-ish with very very few additional options/talents/abilities. Makes the tree and class feel very lackluster and unintuitive.

As if this all is not enough… it also seems like they have built the whole tree Very weird and almost wrong. For example early in the tree it is very clear you have a ST build to the right and a AoE bomb build to the left with some mish-mash of abilities/buffs in the middle. But if you keep looking down the tree you will find some of the core talent picks for the ST build to the left hand side…the AoE build does not bleed over to the right as much but that is probably because the AoE build is Really lacking… it’s literally wildfire bomb and a bunch of 3-point numerical picks to enhance the bombs…yay! There is barely any abilities/talents that intuitively and positively interact with either builds.
I personally think this whole issue is a very real result from the huge lack of talents in the tree. With the barely 30 picks. This makes it so the “larger” ST build has to bleed into the left side with middle being some weird mish-mash of KC/buff area.
And so many of these barely 30 talent choices Need to be 2 or even 3 point talent picks because they have to make us spend those 8/20/30 points. If they actually did as they have done with other specs (for example outlaw 1 talent point for 3 yard range increase vs survivals 3 talent points for 3 yard range increase) there would be more than 1/3 or 10 points of our talent points unspent when we have “achieved” a build.
To put it into a picture: If our talents looked more like the other classes/specs talent trees with mostly 1 talent point picks and some occasional 2-3 point picks we’d be able to pick almost Every single talent in the tree. Which would give us a spec with a double build feeling with both strong AoE and strong ST focus. Which obviously is not intended.

What I think must happen: Yes, I have to restate that I absolutely would love blizzard to add dual wield to survival. There is nothing stopping them at all, Death knights already got it (but reverse) and it’s been fine. It did not break the game, shocker! And if people want to go thru the pain of getting 2 weapons for the aesthetics, let us?
On a more serious note, I think what the dev. team/hunter team needs to do is perhaps not scrap the whole tree but I personally think they need to rethink most of it. Scrap the whole bomb AoE build please. I like it but it feels so wrong for survival hunter. And they clearly are having a hard time figuring out decent talents for it. It feels like they had a hard time getting a trap build to work and just decided to ignored the whole theme of the spec and create a kind of explosives expert build… Please rework this.
Raptor/mongoose as a ST focused build, while old news, is ok. It worked and probably will work now.
They Need to, and I really mean Need to add a bunch of more talents that interact with our different builds abilities and preferably add some more abilities to create 2 cohesive builds. Currently there is barely any interplay between abilities and within the build. And with this they need to change almost all 3-point talents to 1 or in a few cases 2-point talents. We should Not pay 3 points for a 3 yard increase for example. Or 3 talent points for a laughable 6% increase to crit Damage.

I love survival and I’ve been happy that it’s actually quite strong and had a semi-cohesive build this patch, even if I personally don’t feel like a hunter but more like a tinker or explosives expert. But for the love of god, let’s make our voices heard so they actually don’t just pat each others back for a work well done and ship as is. Out of all the classes/specs we’ve seen so far survival is so incredibly underdeveloped and lackluster that it’s alarming.

All of us Hunters and fans of hunters, let’s make our voices heard for the betterment of the class and especially the spec! Whether you miss the old RSV or prefer the MSV I think we can all agree that the spec needs work! And plenty of it!

5 Likes

First!

Just kidding. But I kept fiddling with the talent tree and saw something I forgot to mention. There is quite a few cases where some of the spec trees talents are utterly pointless unless you take the related ability in the class tree.

For example: Row 1 on class tree has us choosing between Concussive shot (as survival, really? and the interaction with steady shot makes it even more laughable…are they actually working on a way to give us ranged survival or is this just bad results from having a forced melee spec in a ranged class?) and/or kill shot. You might always want to pick kill shot but have the choice to skip it. Leading to a bunch of talents in the survival tree and pretty much the only actual “interactivity” in the spec completely being pointless because all those talents in the survival tree is meant to give you stronger and free casts of kill shot etc. How does that work if you’ve not picked it?

The way the survival tree and it’s more or less only instance of interaction between abilities (besides the lame CD reduction of wildfire bomb with carve) with talents making kill shot reset and get a free charge etc work should make us get kill shot for free. Why else build such a large part of the spec tree around it?

This is the very weird and flawed kind of design choices making me question if the designer of the survival hunter tree even knows what he/she/they know what they are doing.

If you remove those bland numerical 3 point talents and remove those that just add weird interaction without any real gameplay benefit we’d have even Less actual talents in the tree. The low 30’s would probably drop to barely 20 or high 10’s… They’ve got quite some job ahead of them. Feels like they only released the survival tree because they wanted to release the hunter tree overall.

1 Like

more i put my eyes on this tree more i feel the same as you …

i really hope so …

2 Likes

The SV tree kinda feels like a bomb throwing cheap BM.
You get two options, do you go down the mongoose spam line, or do you go down the bomb spam line. There’s little chance to really tinker with both because so many good skills are locked behind 3 point requirements.
With quite a few skills being mandatory. You want the +15% damage on your spammed moves it’s a no brainer.

I think it’s going to come down to how the nerd put the numbers in for OPTIMAL BUILDS!
To see how it works, I’m probably just gonna muck around with it.

I will say though many skills feel a little weird to put in as talents. +1-3 range on a melee hit.
Why would you need that? Thematically it’s cool but you need those 3 points to even scrape the bottom row.

EDIT: Looking at it more, some of the places of skills just seem all over the place. Why would you have Tip of the spear, in the same row as Mongoose bite when they literally work against each other.

• Tip of the spear, should swap spaces with Lunge

Why is tactical advantage on the opposite side where the wildfire bomb is.
The advantage of Aspace of the eagle is completely lost when it’s so far down the pet/bomb tree that you dont need to keep your big mongoose combos during a movement phase.

• Replace Aspect of the eagle with Flanking strike

• Replace energetic ally with tactical advantage.

As the Raw mongoose build would benefit much more from the bonus focus compared to the bomb spam build.

We have the 3 yards attack melee range during Legion and it was a better/safe feeling to play.
Ask to rogues if they don’t put 1 point in their talent three for same effect. We can do without … but why put this option with a 3 points node :confused:

I mean it’s safer sure, but the range increase is down the bomb range. Where the best build for it would be kc spam and tip of the spear. So you don’t really need the range for the occasional boop. Compared to spamming bombs and traps.

It’s the first incarnation of the new talent trees. We must wait and see. Being the first public release, things are very likely to be tuned, but still, there are some concerning things to note, specially for Survival.

-Having Chimera Shot, or Explosive, or Barrage are nice and cool options for BM and MM I guess… but what about Survival? Will Survival be able to use this abilities?
If I choose Counter Shot as Survival it is clear to me that I will have Muzzle instead, as it is clearly noted and explained in the tooltip. But… what about Barrage, Conclusive, Chimera and Explosive?
Will the Conclussive Shot work for Survival? Barrage? Explosive Shot? Chimaera Shot? I think that these are legit questions.

If Survival cannot make use of them, it is really unfair because then Survival has pruned and useless options here (And no, I am not reasoning this for a ranged Survival return) and therefore, Survival tree is just smaller and with fewer options.

-The push of traps on the Hunter tree is nice but still a bit disappointing. Don’t get me wrong… having the Steel Trap available in the Hunter tree is nice, but looked like -my perception I guess- that traps being an iconic part of hunters that has been pruned over the years, might return with the talent trees. The Octagonal node is perfect for this. It feels like a lost opportunity to bring back traps in all its glory and all its fun. Choose between Tar Trap and Snake Trap, or between Caltrops and Explosive, between Freezing Trap and Fire Trap… Nothing is here. Nothing new. Even nothing old converted to new.
For Survival, who was the master of traps… Nothing at all. I wish to see additional nodes on the Survival Tree related to traps, like the ones I mentioned above.

And as for the Survival Tree, as it is now, I feel like its a bit of a mess. Good intentions, good sketches, but nothing that should be final I hope. I guess that during alpha and beta it will be reworked a bit. So far a lot of things are redundant or unnecessarily forced into the tree, but some others look promising.

I like the return of the Fury of the Eagle! Its just that its hidden under a lot of things that makes not much sense to me, and under a tree more devoted to the Wildfire Bomb.
So if I want Fury of the Eagle I must take care of optimizing a bit for Deadly Duo. Right? Deadly Duo proc seems poor for a 3 points talent - will it pay back for its relevance into the tree? Because its a 15% chance under a 25% chance… May be a bit more if one specs Alpha Predator, which is also at the very bottom of the Hunter tree and adds the Spearhead (which brings and forces other things)… so… hmmmm…

One of the most iconic, fun and cool things in Survival is the Harpoon. So, in order to have a nice Harpoon and not a crippled one, we must spend 3 points. Right now it feels unnecessary - just like slowing down the narrative to inflate a plot. It is not attractive at all but I’m buying the Terms of Engagement for those three really expensive precious points? (Yes I might…but…BUT)

Lunge: Why Survival has three points to spend for a 3 yards in Lunge while Rogues with Acrobatic Strikes spend just one for the same distance ? Again, I believe that this is kind of sad, or just not well thought. Not to say the number of talents Survival has compared to the other specs and classes. Add those Explosive Shot + Chimaera Shot + Conclusive Shot + Barrage possible useless talents for Survival and you have a more dry tree.

Spearhead! Now this one can be cool but might be the only way to empower the Deadly Duo Proc right? It is possible to get both Spearhead and Deadly Duo (and Fury of the Eagle) at the same time . Then it might be almost mandatory to get the new Coordinated Assault for the Bleeding Gash debuff. So, may be - just may be- in order to take advantage of the two effects of Coordinated Assault (Carve + Kill Shot) may be - again just may be- we are forced to go with Carve… and of course Wildfire Bomb… so possibly loosing Fury of the Eagle because there is a laaaarge area to cover connecting the lines between those talents.

All in one? … too much forced things in my opinion. So far no much freedom in designing and choosing our powers to be in a mild area.
I am not a min maxer, I care more about fun than about a 5% dps loss… But up to a limit, because I do not want to play a broken spec or be forced to go one or two possible ways.

I believe that there is actual room for better, less restrictive, new -or returning oldies- fun options with the new talent trees.

My favorite talent for Survival in Dragonflight: The Dual wield talent! Yay! Oh!. Ok.

this tree is a mess … like you said it’s all over the place . Illogical choice or Talent position in rows or paths .

Absolutely, like i said, swap the sides so you actually have a reason for the tree that’s hard focused on face rolling able to move around a little more freely.

Hopefully it get’s addressed but we’re the EU forum. They never pay attention over here.

the talents that make me scream are Explosive expert and deadly duo and the position of wildfire infusion between them … :exploding_head:

Bicmex explain well the stupidity of this talents like others at the mid/end of the tree.

I couldn’t say it better than this.
I wished they would make some possibility that with a talent choice you could go ranged again. Though i like playing melee as well.
The most stupid thing about a sv hunter is that you aren’t one, as far as i know in order to survive as a hunter you put up traps and such to get some dinner, not throw a damn bom that the whole wood is gone xD
They should just remove all te % filler stuf and get some traps back in like snake trap, imolation trap and so on. They could even put black arrow back in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.