Disability Pride Month is distinct from LGBTQ+ Pride Month in June. They are separate observances, each with their own history and community-led meaning.
It’s important to come together and share experiences, recognise the hardships and ableism that follow us all our life but the wins too. Be it a physical, invisible, mental or sensory disability, our lives are shaped by these limitations and ever seeking accessibility.
WoW has some good options for accessibility and has been improving upon them in the last few years but there is still further to go. A lot of disabled people were afraid of the addon purge because addons can offer specific points that a general sweep can’t.
How has the addon purge affected your disability? Are there any recommendations you have? Have you got a supportive community? Share your stories both good and bad!
The Disability Pride Flag was designed by Ann Magill. The rainbow of colours on the disability pride flag represents the various experiences and needs within the disabled community. Such as non-visible, sensory, physical, developmental and mental impairments and conditions.
The banded arrangement of the colours represents the barriers many disabled people face and have to navigate through.
This is what each colour represents:
Red
Physical impairments and conditions
Gold
Neurodiversity
White
Non-visible and undiagnosed impairments and conditions
Blue
Emotional and psychiatric conditions, including mental health, anxiety and depression
Green
Hearing impaired, vision impaired, audio processing and all other sensory impairments and conditions
Charcoal
The charcoal background is to represent people in the community who have experienced ableism, and to protest against this
My first learning too! Puny inspired me to look for other months we could do on the forums and of course this one is close to my heart. The rainbow is so versatile
I don’t know if this is appropriate for this thread, but I’d like to point out that while accessibility features are made with disabled people in mind - there’s nothing to keep able-bodied folk from also using them!
I’ve advocated for the one-button rotation ever since it was added, because WoW at it’s core is a game where you’re going to be pressing a lot of abilities, sometimes for 8+ minutes at a time during a raid encounter, or for 10-20+ minutes on a mythic plus run with little downtime between packs and bosses. It’s very easy to cause wrist fatigue, or RSI, or carpal tunnel, so if you need something that alleviates that? Use it!
Similarly I think the interact key was originally intended as an accessibility feature, but it’s also just something that’s there for you to use if you dislike the finnicky nature of clicking on the teeny-tiny fishing bobber hitbox.
A very good and welcome point! Accessibility doesn’t just benefit disabled people but everyone. Remember the huge work from home drive in covid? Suddenly things were accessible to everyone disabled or no and mental health was given a much larger awareness. It’s unfortunate that the world has mostly tried to return to life before and made it less accessible since.
I am a one button Betty on my alts. It made them so much easier to play and I only ever do levelling content and very little end game on them. Whilst I admire those who can master many different classes I can not
Though I have seen people have done up to +10s using it so it is possible to do stuff.
Whilst one button ironically causes me more pain in my hand, I do very much appreciate the gameplay enhancement feature that highlights abilities for your rotation.
Whilst I don’t stick to it, it has been a lifesaver when I have brainfog or fatigue to make up for those moments you just entirely forget what you are doing.
I even use it on Nim in raid, so I am able to focus more on mechanics
More options benefit everyone. I can’t stand controllers personally, they aggravate my thumbs. However, I would appreciate being able to sit on my bed and use a controller for WoW if I am too ill to get out of it