Disc changes

What do you think about the recent revealed disc changes for 10.2?
I don’t play disc personally but if the spec would be a bit more fluid I’d be willing to give it a try for sure. As it stands now it feels a bit bloated and confusing from someone who comes from healing on Hpala and Hpriest.

The changes are D U M B.

Havent tested on PTR, but from reading the patch notes it sounds like everything I feared it would be: going above and beyond to infinity with the pruning :confused:

Seems like its gonna be extremely dull and boring to play. But probably a lot easier than it is atm, so maybe some people will enjoy it.

Trying to understand new wording of Shadow Covenant.
Is it really only going to work when our minion is out? That’d be awful.

I’ve heard the Light’s Wrath rework (aka ultimate penance) is kickable?
Can you image pressing one of the most visually impressive ultimate abilities in the game… and some dps just boops you right out of the air? That’d be awful.

I liked reliably charging Harsh Discipline with 4 casts. Nobody wanted RNG on back on this. We’re meant to be casting offensive spells anyway.

Taking Solace seems downright mean. We’re all picking this talent just to have a mobility filler. We need mobility fillers. Was happy to have buttons like this and Schism to press between penances anyway. Pressing Smite repeatedly isn’t fun.

They just gave us a 2nd stack of 7.5sec Mindblast this expac… now they’re making it 1 and 24? That feels awful.

Smite is going to reduce target’s outgoing dmg? So… like Mindblast did up until recent changes? ^^

I like the new reliable Power of the Darkside proc. It’s felt far to random to work with without the SL set bonus.

Mind Blast heavily scales with haste tho, its 18 seconds with 30% haste on PTR right now.

Not sure what to think of Mindbender Build. Mindbender can have a really high uptime, around 70%, probably around 50% in a dungeon environment tho.

I think its good that Shadow Covenant and Schism are passives now. I didnt feel good having to press it in order to get proper healing out.

I’m just not sure if the passive should be triggered with Bender/Fiend. But I cant think of anything else on the spot right now. Shadow Covenant uptime will be lower tho for sure with 10.2

I would have kept Solace tbh, wasnt really played much anyways.

Im happy they got rid of the button bloat. We still have 6 buttons to press very regularly which is fine

Im excited for 10.2

edit: so after testing set bonus too Mindbender has almost perma uptime haha, its actually crazy, so way higher Shadow Covenant uptime aswell. Imo disc priest is really smooth

dont be always so negative guys, i will really enjoy disc priest next patch

For me its not about the spec being better or worse. Im sure disc will be great next patch. Maybe we’ll even be meta in m+ for the first time.

Its just sad to see so many buttons and interactions go. With the new design TE and expiation will be close to useless unless they change them. The rotation will boil down to smite spam to a high degree. Harsh is rng, instead of being completely in your control.

I dont mind the way they changed scov. I just dont see why they have to delete mind blast and solace, and mess up harsh, expiation and most importantly TE.

Im also worried that the new cd will soak up too much of our power budget, effectively making us a fire mage.

I don’t want uptime. I want to switch to shadow when im holy kicked.

i didn’t like several things:

1- Shadow covenant being combined to shadowfiend, means, you either go squid build with the CD reduction or completely ignore all the shadow stuff and go left wing on your talent tree. Cause otherwise, shadowcovenant on every 3 min ? Lol funny. So, Either go FULL RIGH or go FULL LEFT on your talent tree. And FULL LEFT means, you are basically gonna have to spam flash heals because you won’t do any damage at all and won’t heal with atonements.

2- Ultimate Penitance… A very cool animation -at the beginning at least- but the moment you ascend to sky and start pissing around penances it looks more like a guy shooting on others faces. No. Shooting penances animation is really bad. Besides, 4 min CD is simply there to validate placing a CD reduction talent and nothing more. Both these talents (shadowfiend and ultimate penitance) are now in such a design, you can’t get them without their following improvement talents cause they make no sense. 4 min CD is literally stupid.

3- So many damaging skills are now gone, we have, once atonements are out, NOTHING to hit and do damage with to heal people now. 1 Mindblast, 1 Penance and Smite+Smite+Smite+Smite… That’s it. Given how weak smite is… This will be simply bad.

4- WHY DONT YOU MAKE RADIANCE INSTANT BASELINE ALREADY !? WHY ?

5- WHY ARE YOU NERFING ATONEMENT !? WHY ?! ARE WE ALREADY IN A GOOD SPOT ? NO ! EVEN THE OPPOSITE ! WHY THEN ?! WHY ?

6- Harsh Discipline procs with Radiance ? WHY AGAIN ? WHY ? And given that, it’s not a “%100 proc” it is a “maybe”. WHY ? I don’t want to SPAM RADIANCE and waste tons of mana just to get a %15 stronger penance (by chance)… C’mon now… C’mon…

I am %100 sure, that these guys are giving us these “rotten apples” intendedly so we can say “hallelooyah” when they replace it with a “loaf of bread” instead of preparing a decent meal already.

You are not incompetent. You are evil.

1 Like

The problem with combining shadow covenant and shadow fiend is that shadow covenant is an absolute must for good group-wide atonement healing. Anybody who plays discipline priest in higher keys needs that. Now everybody will have to get the mindbender. Also, the minbender is on a 1 minute CD. Yes, you reduce it by casting certain spells, but I can think of so many situations when things go awry and you start to spam shields with rapture or flash heal. If that happens while the mindbender is out, you will be left with a more than 30 second cd on a spell that you might actually need.

Combining shadow fiend and shadow covenant is d u m b. Instead take shadoe covenant off the gcd, take away the little heal it provides and make activating it empower mindblast. The empowered mindblast will just have the added schism buff. Problem solved.

1 Like

i tried a build without shadow covenant but i decided against it and the sole reason for it is that without playing shadow covenant our set bonus is useless haha

That’s correct. They basicly are jailing us into Squid build at all times with that 4 set bonus. It is a direct order from blizz to us discs now.

“Play squid build or reroll”

1 Like

So in other words bye bye holy priests?

I can live with the changes in pve. Im definitely not a fan, but I can probably get used to spamming smite instead of having to think when doing dmg.

In PvP however disc is gonna feel very bad to play unless they make some more changes. One of the defining strengths of disc the past expansions in PvP has been the fact you can do meaningful dmg/healing with multiple spell schools. This will not be the case next patch. They already bridged the gap between holy and disc in PvP when DF launched (removal of smend), and now they’re taking it another step further. Seems disc will end up being a holy priest without chastise and angel form :slight_smile:

1 Like

At this point they just go ahead and rework the entire spec to return to it’s wrath and cata days. No more damaging but more focus on damage prevention with shields. Disc is the least represented healer atm.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.