Disc: Healing Prot Palą in M+

Hi all,
Just tried to heal a +19 Ulduman on this priest. My atonement rotation and not-infrequent FH were not enough to keep the tank alive on trash. Tank asked why I wasn’t healing him more, so I swapped to almost constant FH spam on tank and Rapture spam on CD, weaving in atonement rotation where possible, resulting in me OOMing a lot (but was able to keep him alive, mostly). Haven’t had this problem with other tanks. Is this a problem for Disc healing Prot Palas, or was the problem perhaps at his end? We didn’t finish but by end I was 40.5k HPS, tank was 27.4k (including out of combat time).

In my experience healing prot palas and brewmasters is pretty rough. They seem like the least self-sufficient tanks overall. Disc has mediocre spothealing, so playing with tanks that require a lot of healing will be rough.

I prefer playing with guardian druids (even s1, and basically any other expansion) and bdks, to a large degree because they seem very self-sufficient, allowing you to focus more on dmg/atonement.

Its impossible to judge someone with that little info. In many cases its not the tank or healer doing anything wrong, but simply dps not using interrupts and cc properly.

1 Like

Good to know - thanks!

It’s very likely that he was doing something wrong. You shouldn’t be spam healing the tank, especially not on a +19.

2 Likes

It happened again! BH +19 this time, different pala tank. His health just dropping right down every pack, so quickly. Had to alternate Rapture spam with Pain Suppression and FH spam to keep him alive. The pain

Really hard to say can be many things though.
Was the paladin standing in consecration all the time?
Was the paladin choosing self healing (word of glory) instead of using Shield of the Righteousness?
Was the paladin using cooldowns?

There are more factors but those are the major major ones.
There are several traps you can fall into when playing prot paladin that can make it harder for healers to heal you.
But in general i was not under the impression it was harder to heal a paladin tank then other tanks at that level.

1 Like

Tankadins need to rotate cds and to stand in consecration to survice.
Was he using Ardent Defender,Sentile, Eye of Tyr?
What was the shield of righteousness uptime? It should be well above 85%

1 Like

Also, if the tank has holy power him dropping to 30% isn’t a biggie, they can top themselves in a global.

1 Like

It’s either he has wrong stats/not standing in concencration or just not spacing out his cds.
I have done 17-18 easy on my 432 with a unexperienced priest and i have no problem.
The only time i have dipped low is to use my guardian passiv + lay on hands as it is a type of cd.
Also i havent done any tyrannical on this pally, only fortified which is where most tanks struggle.

1 Like

Thanks all! Very helpful

Is that with WoG? :slight_smile:

ye it scales with his missing hp and every 3 shield of rightous (tank buff) he uses he gets a free one.

1 Like

Thanks! #10char

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.