Disc or Holy for a beginner in PvP?

So my friend wants me to play healer, ive never played healer in PvP or much caster for that matter, im curious wich spec would fit me most as a beginner ive tried Holy in PvE and it seemed alright, Shielding with Disc looks cool but i had a hard time dealing with alot of aoe dmg in dungeons. Could just be my inexperience.

Any good comparison guides or something i shoud look up?

1 Like

Disc is probably easier for beginners. Having 3 spell schools is a big stress reliever, and with ultimate radiance pvp talent you have a very good panic button on low cd (preferably with the radiance conduit).

The only downside with disc is that you need to swap talents a lot more frequently than as holy. Knowing when to use which talents, both normal and pvp talents, is crucial!

I made me an priest Alt 5 weeks ago and tried to gear through Arena. I started as disc till 1.8 - 1.9 where it became harder to push. One of my friends told me to switch on holy. So I switched on holy and made my 2.1 in 1,5 days.
I can tell u on my experience that holy is broken and better then disc is every case.
U have more mana, more healing, more damage, stun and greater fade.

I would say Holy is easier to learn/understand than Disc… well at last if you plan to do it decent…

3 Likes

Holy. Disc is the most complicated healer spec out of all.

1 Like

So ive played around with holy and Disc in arena (very low rating) And weirdly enough i perform waaay better as Disc, cause of all dmg reduction i guess. think they work better since i dont grasp caster/healing yet in PvP. Maybe Holy plays better when i get the class better. But think im sticking to disc so far, unless it becomes totaly unplayable

Holy; more instants, better survivability with Greater Fade, more CC and in this current meta it’s stronger than Disc (especially in a 2s scenario)

I think holy might be better but i actually prefer playing disc

3 ?

Holy shadow and ?

Melee, big fat mace to the face

2 Likes

PtW is fire.

2 Likes

Interessting ty

I play disc mainly in bg’s, it really shines in epic battlegrounds so I imagine it would do really well in rated bg’s too. My only experience of disc in arena was a few skirmishes where I got deleted. It ultimately boiled down to spamming shadow mend on my partners who were also getting deleted and which point I thought I might as well be playing holy. Shame as I really like the disc play style once i got used to it.

I wouldnt take skirmish as a reference.
In 3s disc is more viable then 2s in my experience.
For rated holy and disc are both decent choices

yeah just browsed the ladders in 3’s and rated bg’s and although holy seems to be the preferred option, there are still lots of disc players.

Holy is the best spec in 2s, and it is definitely easier than Discipline. A few reasons why:

• You have cooldowns that are immediate to use, require no ramp up and are straightforward, like Guardian Spirit and Apotheosis.

• While at higher rating doing damage as Holy matters, you don’t have to worry about any of your healing coming from damaging enemies.

• Disc having shadow and Holy as schools of magic isn’t a boon over Holy, because as Holy we can still bait an interrupt with Mind Control or the Venthyr ability Mindgames. If the enemy DPS is on you he will have to choose between interrupting mind control, or saving it to interrupt a heal but either one he chooses you’ll have the other to stop damage. (Trickier against warriors though.)

In v2 and v3, holy is easier (by far) due to the safety and mobility of greater fade, all the instant heals, and access to a ranged stun (as well as being more mana efficient)

As for viability/ strengths : disc is strong with rmp, cupid, and jungle… and thats about it. Any other comp and you are better off playing any other healer spec in the game, including holy priest (which is quite strong actually in most comps).

Buuuut as we near 9.1, it looks like in pvp disc is getting pretty big buffs, and holy gerting pretty big nerfs, so we mignt go back to the regular pvp meta of disc only.

For rbg : disc OP you only play double disc + hpal in 9.0, and in 9.1 it miiight switch to disc + hpal + mw we’ll see (mw renew cd reduced to 1,5 min and tied to a spell immunity for entire raid for 2s sounds pretty OP, but then again afflock might be gone in 9.1 since dispel protection isnt that great in current comps and the slow loss is huge)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.