Discs Core issues

Even tho probably not a single class developer will see, i will still give it a shot on the off chance they maybe read some of this. So the current version of disc is my opnion completly designed around 20 and just 20 man raiding content, which causes issues in all other fields of the game (pvp talents despratly try to fix this core issues, m+ healing issues etc…). I personally would like to see a rework or a revert to earlier versions that had all aspects of the game in mind.

Now my current ,issues´´ with disc priest in mythic raiding. I wont talk about output because thats just a number game u can tweek w/e. I personally feel like the core play of disc or all priest spec for the matter never got adjusted to the change in raidin mechanics/complexity. There is alot more movement / fast reactions
necessary then there was earlier in the game. We never recived a good mobility spell like all other classes, there is a reason why all disc/holy players are goblin. I dont wanna imagine playin the dathea mythic fight without goblin jump as a priest. I can understand when blizzard dont wanna give every class the same ability, but then give us a preventive tool add to the already existin talent ,phantasm`` a pushback/knockback immunity like dk/druids during tranq have. On Raz we completly depnded on other classes to ,carry us´´, which feels awful. We still would be wheel chairs, but at least we would have a tool to play around the new and current raid mechanics. Now to the main issue i have with disc, its just to frustrating to play. The amount of time you need to stand still to get all your cast off to get a good ramp is just simply unrelastic with current raid gameplay. The punishment you recive for moving is far to high, which just makes it so frustrating. ESP if you keep in mind how precise your ramping timers need to be for it to not completely suck. My ideads on changes that wouldnt make the spec broken and would be easily implentable.

Lights Wrath - Make it castable while moving and make it to a 2 heavy ticking dot instead (krits often result in just overhealing)
Smite - castable while moving (ik maybe this could be broken / wishful thinking)
Phantasm(talent) - immunity to knockbacks/grips
Inner fire - armor buff that removes 1 stack each time u get physical damage that one is for m+. There are some physical damage abilities that nearly always oneshot priest on high tyran keys
Mind Sooth - actually sooth targets and removes enrange
Fear - why is it target capped. let us interupt with it reliably on big pulls.
Rapture - reduces mana cost of Power word shield, we to depended on innervates to play the game.

This is just my experience. What experience did you guys had in mythic raidin and are my ,solutions´´ to op?

3 Likes

I play discipline mostly in PvP environment, plus I plan to do some M+ after 10.0.5 buffs.

What I believe are the most glaring issues that needs to be looked into.

Mobility
Priests are one of the least mobile classes. It is design choice and I don’t have anything against it, but it has gone into a phase that it makes priests (of all specs, not just disc) in hard position in comparison to other classes.
On paper, speed boosts from Feathers and Body and Soul has great uptime. The problem is that these speed boosts are completely countered by all snares and slows all classes throw at us in PvP. It is even bad enough in M+ and raiding, I heard. What I suggest:

1. Replace Body and Soul with Door of Shadows. Body and Soul is weird talent now. Problem is that shield is now our throughput button, not just attonement aplicator we smash all the time. We want to use shield on targets that are under pressure, which means the speed boost might be not used and is wasted. Door of Shadows fits perfectly with a priest class (maybe they can recolor it to purple as they did with Mindgames). It gives us much needed gap closer on CD, which does not take our mobility on extreme levels by itself, but it helps a lot when we need to escape.
  2. Make Phantasm work as a our personal Blessing of Freedom, breaking also roots and make us immune to roots and slows for it’s duration.

Survivability
The design of classes is usually the more mobility your class gets, the more squishy it gets. Priests are wheelchair class with very weak mobility, but our defensives are not that great either. We are now reliant to stacking various small defensive bonuses from Fade or self cast Flash Heals in order to get some damage reductions. Desperate prayers is also not that excelent button. How I would address our survivability:

1. Buff Angelic Aegis. Currently, 15% of your max HP on 90 sec CD is not much. I am fine with 90 sec CD, but it needs to be more beefy absorb. 30% seems more reasonable for a capstone talent.
  2. Make Desperate Prayer castable while CCed. At least while stunned.
  3. Reintroduce Charitable Soul to our class tree. It was a conduit in SL which gave you absorb when you used PW:S on someone else. Now when shields are a thing, it would make nice mitigation for us now.

Mana Regen
I honestly think this is the greatest design flaw disc has. It is just unfair that the spec is SO mana hungry in all kind of content, while other healers does not have mana issues at all. The mana is that huge problem that you need to have druids feeding disc innervates in raids.
As you said, Rapture reducing or removing mana cost of PW:S would help a lot, so we would finaly have our own version of Innervate.
Renew mana cost should be reduced as well, so the button is worth pressing.
I also think that Shield Discipline and Shadowfiend mana return should be buffed.
I also think we could make a use of old azerite essence Memory of Lucid Dreams brought into our class tree. It would help all our specs greatly.

I would also reintroduce a talent which reduces mana cost of our dispels. After we lost the conduit, dispels and mass dispel took huge chunk of our mana.

Utility
We are in the strange spot when it comes to utility. Let’s say that most of our utility tools are decent, but really niche.
Mass Dispel (specially improved one) and Power Infusion are really strong tools, but they does not redeem the whole class in most content.
I would love to see return of Faerie Guardians. Faeries were excelent flexible utility to have.
I would reintroduce Shining Force as a choice node with Void Tendrils, so you can chose if you want knockback or roots.
Lastly, I also think moving Symbol of Hope from Holy Tree to class tree would help as well. Not only it would save one talent point for holy priests in their spec tree, it would give both disc and shadow nice group utility.

I am not sure if we will be heard. We have some great news in 10.0.5, so perhaps we will see more changes in the future. Devs also said they are open to big changes even during major patches, so let’s wait and hope they notice us.

1 Like

I have an issue with disc

Purge the bloody wicked. It’s been bugged since it was released in legion, and inexplicably they haven’t fixed it. I swear to god it fails to spread more often than it succeeds. I triple checked the tooltip to make sure I wasn’t getting it wrong. “Spreads to 2 nearby enemies when you cast Penance on the target”

I ran through some quest mobs and kept dotting and penancing. It failed to jump more than it succeeded. What could it be, they were literally on me, on each other, and yet so often it wouldn’t bounce.

It’s even worse in DF because you get mana back if stuff is dotted. It’s just as well I gave up healing m+ as disc.

Please just fix it or remove it.

1 Like

That’s true, the bug is really annoying.
I toy with the idea of skipping PtW in next patch. With changes to Shadow Covenant and Abyssal Reverie (atonement heals for 20% from all shadow spells), SW:P now could be more powerful option. The advantage PtW has is increased dot duration and dot spread, which is unfortunately bugged and not reliable.
Last but not least, SW:P costs 0,3% of your mana, while PtW costs 1,8% of your mana.
On the other hand, PtW is currently great trigger for Twilight Equilibrium holy buff. Also applying dot on multiple targets one by one is a tedious chore. It is indeed a problem since maintaining dots on more targets is important for atonement heals, but it takes so much of our time to do so, not to mention constant need to maintain atonements.

I must say, I really wish they would add shadow talent Dark Void to disc as well, that would be huge help. Or they might reintroduce dot spread to Divine Star/Halo, as it was back in beta deep in disc tree. I don’t think it would be so overpowered, considering evokers spit Fire Breaths every 30 seconds which do considerable AoE damage, multidot, burst heal your party and also buff your next Living Flame.

Disc, is punished. In all kind of environments. Now the only team a disc can “perform”, is a guild raid with 20 ppl, where the CDs are organized in a timely manner. Else ? Just dead. So, if this is what it is, just remove the spec from the game so we eventually know your intentions and start playing a druid.

I just can’t believe holy overtook disc once again as the superior m+ spec, it used to be the other way around.

if we are a “burn on ramp and afk while waiting for CDs” spec, then our ramp has to heal like 2-3 times more than others so that it can compensate the afk period. Yet, even our ramp now is bullsht. I literally burn my mana, and end up healing less than others. Lots of healers heal more than we do in 2 buttons where i have to timely plan and click like 20 buttons to heal.

and, if you dont want our ramp to be that strong, then you have to remove the mana punishment and let us heal as needed.

I don’t understand why people are crying about the old bubble disc. I mean other geames having solid healer spec with shield and raw healing but oh no World of Warcraft, one of the most played MMROPG can’t handle the balancing between shield and raw healing? Shield healing has to come back otherwise disc will never be a demanding class. I mean is it really that unfair? Look how druid has easy in every raids as the best raid healer because of there stupid mastery. Put everyone a rejuvenation and you are good to go.

1 Like

bring back shadowmend

I just say, better atonement quality of life for application or duration. 15 sec (reduced to 60 or 70% with radiance) is not enough anymore

so i just started play my evoker, the perfect spell for disc priest would be Hover. allows us to cast for 6 sek while walkin. Give us an ability to get our ramps out without gettin griefed

If you don’t have Mindgames spec’d, and you were Venthyr, you can go visit SL and the original version will be back in your spellbook. Cast THAT a few times and you’ll definitely give up on the one in our talent tree.

During the prepatch, you could spend 5 (really more) points to spec into a crappy MG.
Or you could just not spec MG at all, and end up with a better MG…

Crazy that they put this in the general Priest tree, but then “lol not for you disc” nerfed into the ground.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.