[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

When it comes to defection, I don’t think it’s quite black and white, but you definitely need to think about what you are doing (even if your character happens to be one of the races who could fairly easily defect without drawing too much notice).

One important factor is indeed your race. An orc would basically stand no chance in the Alliance whatsoever no matter what. There’s far too much bias. I can’t see any orc going to the Alliance over neutral organisations like the Earthen Ring, even if they did decide to defect to begin with. The same applies to many other very distinctive races like draenei, trolls, void elves and so on - arguably the majority.

Some races have a bit of an in but must use specific methods and great care. An example of this is Horde humans - you are probably not going to get into the Horde proper, ever, but the Fogsail Freebooters are Horde allies who at first simply offered them a port of harbour and then from 7.1 outright fought alongside the Horde against the Alliance, acting as WQ targets and support for the Tiragarde faction assault. Joining those pirates, and RPing accordingly (ie, join an appropriate guild and actually do stuff, don’t just chill in Orgrimmar) is the only thing I could see working, though even that will be hard due to the game mechanics in place.

A lucky few such as goblins and pandaren have a firm established presence in the settlements of both sides and can totally avoid being pointed out as a defector through simple secrecy. Get a fake background, new clothes, change your name if necessary, and you’re probably set (though again, for goblins, game mechanics might hamper). For blood/high elves the difference is mostly political and the Sunreavers even have a blue-eyed blacksmith, so yeah. Just call yourself high or blood elf appropriately.

Generally speaking for me the issue is not defection in itself, it’s that any race that is distinctively associated with one faction (ie most of them, even the humans despite the Fogsail’s efforts) will probably be captured and interrogated at best if they try to chill in the opposing faction’s capital. To me, defection just to do statue RP in the opposing faction’s taverns is kinda pointless. You clearly have enough of a grudge to outright abandon your faction, so act on it.

My two copper.

(Wow that turned out longer than I thought)

2 Likes

Master race = Trolls.
Get over it.

Fixed, no need to thank me.

1 Like

Female goblins*

Male are awful.

Gobbo and Vulpera marriage ye confirming there? To make the ULTIMATE MASTER RACE!

just as long as no one gets upset OOC that another person is roleplaying a character that might be misinformed, brainwashed by propaganda ( or by a hat ), or just plain racist.

just as long as no one gets upset ooc over that roleplay and instead reacts to them ic as their character should!!

that would be nice

23 Likes

True.

Vulpera are the better goblins tbh. Better animations, better everything.

I mean, yes. It is probably what you will see around IC. :eyes:

2 Likes

hmmmm so what ur saying is i should do weird modern day UK lawkeeping rp…?

2 Likes

The CEO of racism.

3 Likes

I sometimes wish IC racism between the fantasy races (and heavier prejudice towards some classes) was a bit more prevalent and heeded.

For example when it comes to jovial community events, it tends to put me a bit off to see so many Demon Hunters, Void Elves (and Death Knights in the past) also taking part as if they were normal citizens having a day off. It alienates me from how I personally view the setting.

Yet I know if one tried to restrict their attendance, there’d surely be loud backlash for the racism both IC and OOC. And unfortunately people like me wouldn’t like their many hours (sometimes 20+) of planning, preparations and cooperation poured into a jovial festival turn into an event about Making X and Y Go Away, so I’ve often turned a bit of a blind eye to their presence despite most of my characters having a strong dislike for the Demon Hunters and Void Elves :woman_facepalming:

34 Likes

hate orcs i do

4 Likes

I kept it purely IC back there and considering the guards said one thing and you another. It seemed logical to support the guards on the matter.

I didn’t bring it up at any point on an OOC basis last night as your post seems to insinuate.

2 Likes

you should write down modern laws for my character (melany skabb ashemere) and send them to her to tell her why she is a criminal

5 Likes

Aerilen wont even talk to Demon Hunters IC. No half-aberrations allowed.

1 Like

Just be madly racist IC, it’s fun. We have to return the racism to our RP!!!

We all have freaks we don’t talk too.
10/10 my Nelf can’t stand Void Elves. Can’t shake off that ancient snobby git ways.

Making a death knight just to do party RP has to be the most backwards logic ever.

3 Likes

Not getting the justified hatred from the living (Paladins especially) is a big peeve for me on any DK character.

7 Likes

Big agree, speaking as someone who is back to maining DK next patch.

Bring on the prejudice. The big guns.

5 Likes

melany skabb ashemere’s receptionist will look over these letters and respond accordingly

5 Likes