[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

No but this headcannon that a simple piece of paper with some names written on it is all it takes for races of the horde to run around on the street of stormwind is simply wrong. Simple as that.

If you gonna OOC post about something that happen IC. At least write “this is what it seemed like what happen for my character” if your facts are simply immediately wrong. Also You were not there at the start it seems like.

What happen was we heard a yell that a blood elf was in the city, ran to the place.
See the blood elf, tell them they are not meant to be in stormwind, immediately get threathen by some night elf bystander.

Tell blood elf to come with us for questioning, she goes “BUT I HAVE PAPERS!! SEE HERE!!!” and my character just simply don’t care and neither did the others, things escalate from there, the home guard shows up, you show up. You all turn ic pink wojack about how seventh legion, who are military, are not allowed to handle situations about horde being in stormwind city. So the military are not allowed to do anything about the Horde, in their city? What a weird stance to have honestly.
If anything the sin’dorei rper should try and show up on an actual sin’dorei instead of it just being her TRP and see if the guards attack her, that should be enough.

There your ic information has been corrected. Did i miss anything?

3 Likes

Our great soldiers once again cleaning the filthy streets of ENEMIES of the Alliance & the associated traitors. Keep rocking.

This whole Void Elf racism situation has been very weird, mainly because rather than being it handled in RP most Velf Roleplayers either lash out on the forums or project themselves IC to tell people off or yell quasi jokes at the Crier who is doing some pretty based RP that can give a lot of people progression.

If an average citizen of Stormwind hears about the Void rising up and killing people or corrupting them and they anxiously look out on the street only to find that their Baker/Bartender is actually an Elf who has embraced this evil presence they’re not going to think “Oh I’m sure they had a good reason to do that” they’ll think “Oh no the Void is already in our city we have to do something!”

No one here is painting actual racism to be some good thing. However It brings very interesting conflict RP. The fact that a lot of people are actively trying to reject it in favour of keeping their status quo is disappointing to say the least.

9 Likes

Changed it a bit to suit my own needs, but. This is WoW. The only example of military forces NOT being law enforcers as well are the Zandalari warrior-caste, who when spoken to tell you that they’re only here to deal with blood cultists and beasts and that your marketplace concerns are not theirs.

All other races uses their standard respective foot soldier as their home defense/police force.

4 Likes

Conflict RP? Here comes the PCU once more with their crazy ideas. You want to make interesting roleplay from the conflict that is spawning in the Horde? Uh, no. You’ll ruin my status quo. Let me sit outside the Wyvern’s Tail and drink Frog Venom in peace.

Now you want to ruin Stormwind with this talk of distrust and unease towards the void-tainted elves who suddenly appeared within the city walls acting like creeps??? Leave perfectly fun, slice-of-life RP alone, you jerks.

Except the Pandaren. Technically their military (Shado-Pan) and their village guards are distinct organisations!

2 Likes

fwiw, from this thread it does look like people engaged IC with the conflict situation regarding the blood elf, but then some came here to complain OOC that they were opposed.

1 Like

I don’t know what you are on about, but Horde guilds had internal conflict for some time now. Loyalists against Saurfang…ers. Yes. Saurfangers. Even Alliance is included in there.

I’d say racism and war crimes are perfectly valid in a setting with multiple genocidal wars, dozens if not far more war crimes, rampant slaughters, plagues, numerous undead invasions, numerous demon invasions, slave camps, Old God forces, and the list goes on.

Consider how much has happened in the past few dozen years. The lands of most races must’ve suffered a good amount of losses in its population at this point. Plus, I’d say most seasoned soldiers, commanders - or even healers and cooks that have lived through all the wars, slaughters, plagues, undead invasions etc. etc. would definitely be racist or prejudiced to some extent.

It also made me sad that Blizzard once again pulled the ‘peace’ card for the 4th(?) time in a row…? And once again, with the A/H conflict on hold, we take out the big baddie - N’Zoth this time.

Tbh he was being sarcastic

3 Likes

The fact it took a void elf to spot that worries me. :wolf: :sweat_drops:

1 Like

Totally forgot, :+1:

I love the IC conflict. It breeds RP, and that’s what we’re here for.
If you don’t want the negative aspects of being a velf, roll a blood elf, or call yourself a high elf.

6 Likes

Not at all. It’s more so in how it’s done, AKA modern day hate speech laws et al being spouted by the guard guilds and people crying out about fascists. Think everyone pretty much expected strife, but no one is waiting for second life RP

My 2c: IC racism or bias is both plausible and isn’t inherently bad.

The trouble is the vast majority I’ve seen do it take it to a near comical extreme, like the attempts to lynch void elves when the NPCs comment that they’ve been “cautiously welcomed” overall, just because one priest NPC voiced discomfort.

It also has a tendency to be a bleed over from… let’s say very controversial OOC opinions and fantasies. I’ve seen the exact same arguments from the exact same crowds over the years with each new race added to the Alliance.

Draenei? Plausible, they were initially mistaken for Eredar. Some might distrust them. But pretty quick it’s apparent these guys do the Light even harder than humans do, which would dispel a lot of concerns pretty quick.

Worgen? Also plausible, since they’re walking beasts and all. I had no issue with this even in more extreme cases. Even today it’s only been a few years, and seeing a giant wolfman might make a lot of people uncomfortable and I’m actually a bit disappointed this wasn’t explored more in the story.

Pandaren? Uh… now this is where it started getting very weird. Yeah, people were xenophobic towards pandaren becaaaaause… I never did get a reasonable IC justification tbh. Just “i dun liek 'em” and I couldn’t help but feel it was driven by OOC dislike of the race rather than IC.

Then we come to void elves. I’m willing to believe some/a lot might distrust them. But there’s muttered remarks or bias, then there’s trying to shank one in broad daylight while shouting Trump quotes IC. In my experience I’ve seen far more of the latter tomfoolery. As I mentioned, NPCs literally say they were welcomed, even if cautiously, not one mention of any void elves being burned at the stake or lynched in Stormwind. Or even being openly assaulted.

Which ultimately is what gives the ‘racist RP’ theme a bad taste for most people, because to be frank I very rarely see it done in any tasteful or reasonable way. And from what I’ve observed these same kinds of characters have a bit of a trend, running down a list of stuff they don’t like until they hit rock bottom. Usually when they start throwing racial slurs at darker skinned humans… which afaik has zero basis in lore and is 300% yikes. Just because they couldn’t find any void elves, worgen, draenei or pandaren to unleash their slightly concerning RP themes on out of the blue.

Being distrustful, bias or making snide remarks? That’s kewl, plausible and has a basis in lore. It can drive IC conflict and could lead to either side undergoing some kind of development. I had a guildie who distrusted worgen immeasurably until Dari here saved his life during an event, he developed from that and it was pretty memorable. Some guys dig their heels in and become obvious antagonists, which is okay.

But straight up trying to murder people, obvious OOC influence or using quotes or “nicknames” that are dangerously close to RL racial slurs? Pretty worrying and many will no doubt find that outright uncomfortable, regardless of the race in question tbh. I have no doubt that many who roll a controversial race, such as void elves, expect some amount of adversary or opposition. But when you’ve been assaulted for the fifth time in an evening, it probably gets a bit droll, or you might just not find it fun to the point of making you uncomfortable on an OOC level.

Everybody RPs for fun (Or should do, at any rate), and abruptly getting surrounded by a lynch mob doesn’t sound like my idea of a fun evening tbh. if the crowd was divided, sure maybe some interesting drama can come from that. But if they’re determined to get my character killed and are ignoring my efforts to avoid that, to the point of basically godmoting…

Yeah no, I’ll just log off. They can use an NPC if they want to do that sort of thing, I’m not sacrificing my free time, my mood and seemingly my RP character just to appease other people going “It’s just what my character would do”.

That’s not me wanting Slice-of-Life or Second Life RP to not be disturbed (Which frankly I find horribly dull anyway and is something I never understood the appeal of), that’s me wanting to ensure I’m enjoying myself while RPing. And I don’t enjoy the extreme end of IC prejudice that gets excessively violent and tends to result in me having zero actual control of my character. It makes me outright uncomfortable OOC, particularly when certain parallels can be easily drawn between what is happening and RL hate crimes. Sue me.

Now when it comes to the coming patch and all the Old God stuff kicks off? I fully expect an uptick in anti-VElf behaviour, and I do hope Blizzard actually chooses to address that in the narrative. I just hope that people who choose to go aggro on VElves remember that there’s a player behind that character too, and while they may be fine with some controversy, they can get uncomfortable if things go extreme. The same way other very mature themes (Sexual, gore, etc) might make people uncomfortable.

8 Likes

Ye, citing any sort of hate speech laws as justification for the guards would be pretty cringe, but the concept of people who believe the belf to have legitimate reasons to be there IC standing up to the opposition and accusing the other side of blind racism seems absolutely fine (calling it fascism tho is pretty dumb as well for multiple reasons). The original post bringing it up just mentions none of that and comes off like they are being mad OOC for people opposing their IC actions.

1 Like

yeah i will concede that the OP seems more tailored to people who are already in the know of the situation. We’re, far as I know, definitely fine with people standing up against it. It’s just when permit RP and invented laws get involved that things go from fun to snoozey

1 Like

Sleeping permits have recently been implented IC by the guard, just FYI.

1 Like

Completely agree with that, there are many more creative ways for guard rp’ers to crack down on racist characters they dislike IC other than importing modern hate speech laws.

4 Likes

'ate dwarves
'ate humans
'ate night elves
'ate void elves
'ate trolls
'ate most orcs
'ate night elves

not racist, just don’t like em

big vibe
'ate em all

7 Likes