[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

And then he thought of Blackmoore’s handsome, contemptuous face; of all the men who had spat upon him and called him “monster” and “greenskin” and worse.

Tag me on discord next time

7 Likes

Yeah it’s just omgkungfupanda spilling into IC, which never fully went away. They are as inoffensive as they come.

4 Likes

But at the same time, racism doesn’t always have to make sense. Can just come from a bad interaction, or distrust because they’re in both factions. Stuff like that.

1 Like

I know this was sarcasm and meant to be a joke but it reminded me of how many demon hunter characters run around in SW like they are just normal people.

Just ignore the horns and the radiating magic that corrupts all life around them. It’s fine. They also might explode any second but that’s also fine. Let’s hire one as my bodyguard or in a tavern in the middle of Stormwind as a bouncer. It’s fine.

9 Likes

I feel like there are some very clear problems about stormwind city rp that has been discussed over this thread. And it is those that keeps being talked about so to sum it up.

One of them is people taking IC to heart and get insulted OOC. (Someone being rude to your character, don’t matte if it is in a racist way or not)

Another being the authority rp coming from “The Home Guard” lets not beat around the bush about what guard guild it is. They seem to have this impression of any RP that is not coming from them is not legitimate when it is about handling a situation. That is just what i am getting from them saying that a 7th legion soldier, a captain even, can’t kill some horde race walking around stormwind city or take them away. It feels like a bunch of laws that just feels off for the setting has been made, since when is it canon that you can have papers that allow your horde character in Stormwind? Honestly think this topic deserves a thread of its own considering how often i experince this daily rping in stormwind, some weird law that completely go against any lore and common sense of the setting.

Thirdly. Slice of life rpers.

And at last, those who make ic comments but they are clearly ooc comments. It’s boring, it’s weird, it don’t belong there, if you don’t have something to add to the RP but just make unneeded comments, why are you even there?

3 Likes

Sounds like those people never bothered to look at this quest. You’ve got lots of 7th Legion troops quickly running at you because you’re Horde in Stormwind City.

Hell, the King declared martial law when there was word of Horde infiltrators to weed them out.

8 Likes

But Saurfang and Baine stayed in Stormwind without being cut down.

Unless…

And regarding military =/= guards, a lot of guards in 8.3 PTR have been replaced with infantry men.

https://i.gyazo.com/8ddae396a095b0f2841e24c48091da5d.jpg

3 Likes

Think it’s been said multiple times but they’re are obviously degrees of prejudice; my characters don’t have to rail at every elf or human they see back they can’t think they’re culturally backward/ugly/stupid all the same.

If it isn’t some transposed OOC dislike I don’t see the issue. Frankly, if there’s a “problem” now it’s going all the way to eleven with the next patch (esp. if we’re using Stormwind as the prime example) so strap tf in.

nah mate… clearly decorative… clearly these men would not be allowed to do a single thing if something hapened unless wrynn himself says so…

2 Likes

As it happens, Anduin does say they’re there to fight against void attacks =)

https://i.gyazo.com/dd4503618963e98589ab4b47bd1b622b.png

2 Likes

:eyes: :octopus:

Haven’t they been there since like, BfA launch? I remember lots of those guys already being everywhere.

Gotta love Telaryn

:elf: :bomb: :boom: :clown_face:

In my opinion overt racism towards others in the same faction is something that should be called out IC more.

This isn’t because racism is seen as a moral wrong in-universe so much as because it’s a diplomatic problem. Imagine for a moment that Azeroth is actually a living world. If a new race were to join the Alliance and get nothing but scorn and disgusting treatment from their allies, what would happen?

I don’t think most people really have the diplomatic ties of the Alliance in mind when they go about their day, though.

2 Likes

I think that most characters don’t care about the diplomatic consequences of the mistreatment of void elves or w/e. People tend to be more concerned about what affects them immediately.

Nothing that has to be prevented. Could make for some interesting RP.

1 Like

As I do my town crier shouts, I have noticed a repeating pattern. The only times I have had people become aggressive towards me, both in-character and out-of-character, is whenever I mention void elves.

A few days ago, I made a shout about how Tyrande Whisperwind lack of communication since the end of the Fourth War, calling into question the Night elven’s loyalty to the Alliance.

This was met with little to no opposition. In fact, I only had ONE person become aggressive towards me about it, but they decided the best course of action was to yell at me and then walk off. Truly engaging roleplay there.

A shout was made about the Dark Iron dwarves, mentioning to be careful with their mole constructs, as well as warning people of their more dangerous choices of alcoholic beverages being sold.
Both these were not responded to. I guess it was not ‘racist’ enough to call out a race for their dangerous choices of activities. …Wait. Hang on…

Yet, as soon as a shout was made that mentioned a single negative thing about the ren’dorei, did the shouting start. Swearing, out-of-character laced dialogue, and of course… good old ‘racist’ and ‘fascist’ were casually tossed out as if that were enough to pack a sort of punch.

Which it didn’t.

Allow me to retype two shouts, word for word, of what I have said in the streets. Both of these received the negative interaction from the crowd.

These two shouts were both met the cries of ‘racism’.
Why?
Because they mentioned ren’dorei.

Not a single slur made. But apparently, make mention of a race that is seeped in chaotic, dark energies that attack the mind of them, constantly sapping at their sanity and threatens to consume them into madness if they slip in their control… make you a racist.

Never you mind the slurs of before. ‘Flea-bag’ Worgens. ‘Green-skin’ Orcs. ‘Savage’ trolls. ‘Cows’ Tauren. ‘Drunkard’ dwarves. Apparently, they do not count. Or are conveniently forgotten.

Racism does exist in this game and it takes a different form in the lore and in-character.
And it is not the same type that you would encounter in the various colleges by fresh-from-home students who realize that the world is not a place of sunshines and rainbows.

The racism in World of Warcraft is often backed by various actions performed by these races. Dwarves are known to enjoy their brews, perhaps to a fault. Green orcs are green, a curse they carry from their past.
And to over-come these in roleplay, is to face a challenge, to rise up above and show that you can do much more than what a few misguided individuals think or say.

Or do you crumple because a few words upset you, leading you to transfer that into your character in a barrage of curse words, out-of-character dialogue and one word responses of a word that I now laugh at: ‘Racist’.

See you in Stormwind. More shouts are coming.

20 Likes

Alright alright I admit it

4 Likes

How would that make any of them shout “racist”? The crier’s not even saying anything against them!

4 Likes