[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

yeah but then u also get approached ic because u are rping a person who is being abit racist IC, but then you break character because u get confronted and too much of that racist rp is bad!

1 Like

Dunno who you are but there’s no need for the attitude when I’m merely stating my opinion that racism shouldn’t be overdone to excess.

Dunno why it matters but hi I’m Tehya, doesn’t really change the meaning of my posts in any way or shape.

That’s not what you started out with chief but glad you’ve come around to correcting it to something marginally more sensible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you exclusively just look at what most people are saying in a thread and post the opposite or something

I get the feeling that you’re not really invested in any of these discussions or even roleplay itself but just want to remind people that you’re still around

9 Likes

It’s what I meant but words aren’t my forte when it comes to explaining. Either way, excess is excess and I don’t agree with overdoing it.

true can’t argue with that i fully 100% agree

What’s overdoing it

Unrelated to Void Elves current conversation:
I don’t see it often and I think it’s a shame, but the more casual, subtles? Forms of racism. The prejudices against your allies where the character is “well yes obviously all goblins are cheat money-grubbers; I’m not racist, I have a goblin friend!” rather than the full on “raaargh the only good goblin is a dead goblin” if that makes sense? It doesn’t need to be logical and sensible prejudices; NarmĂ« there would tell you that duh, of course trolls are barbarians without feelings! Yet she had troll friends, she perfectly know on a personnal level that it isn’t true
 But she still believe that from trolls she don’t know. (The friends might have been special trolls, or she don’t think about the contradiction, because people are not always rationnal)
Just y’know, prejudices a bit more subtle than “hue hue weak X” or “Death to all X!” (second one having its place of course, but it’s seen so often)

18 Likes

Some times I just feel there is far too much self-insert into the characters that are RPed and because of that, any forms of racism, sexism or even the slightest form of criticism or ‘toxicity’ thrown at them is taken far too personal and offensive OOCly.

Kinda miss going around on my Draenei frowning at lesbians because their entire kin is close to extinction without being called a piece of ‘shaite’ OOC :confused:

7 Likes

I never turn down some prejudice towards my Tauren characters, because it just feels so much better giving them a taste of a hoof after having been called a stupid, savage cow. :upside_down_face:

The problem with racism in RP is like every other facet of RP some folks handle it with all the tact of an elephant in an egg shop.

That is to say, they take regular RL racism at its worst, slap pointy ears on it and go to town with it.

I think it’s important to handle it properly within in the context (duh), namely by considering the reasons and background behind bigotry in Warcraft. Racism, in the sense of someone disliking another solely because of their physical attributes and believing it makes them inferior, isn’t something I personally have seen in the lore. Any attempt at degrading or dehumanizing other races is often founded in feelings of anger or a desire for revenge because they once wronged them.

It’s also good to note that the ‘races’ in Warcraft could be more accurately described as ‘species’, often as different from one another as cats and dogs; genetically unique, which lends itself to feelings of caution towards others.

Racism between the races however, in my mind, is often just straight dumb, save for when there’s explicit discrimination, such as the Orcs literally having an entire slave caste. But the notion that one human would dislike another human because of their skin colour in WoW is borderline absurd, and I have seen that before in everyone’s favourite Alliance hub. I’m sure it goes without saying for most tho.

tl;dr keep it IC. It’s really cringy to self insert discrimination. (That goes for other forms of bigotry too, like sexism and homophobia.)

11 Likes

Though I’m against using racism as the basic fundation of your character, as beside it would be boring, it is also a bit tasteless imo. Though I will not deny that IC racism do create some flavour in the RP. Even my orc has grown to trust less of some races due to experience she have had multiple times from the same races and thus she acts and treats other differently depending on their race.

Rather racism, I’d love to see more ‘classism’(?)
Though as time has changed and where warlocks belong in the society have shifted a bit back and forth, but in general from my experience warlocks have been treated like any other classes. Perhaps the only time I’ve experienced properly discrimination towards my class was when I was with HoC. As warlocks got threatend with execution if they summoned demons without permission of those above you.
Beside that I’ve mostly just encountered shrugs or when people have those guild recruitment ads at Trade chat, you just see “No warlocks allowed”
If only those discrimination was brought into RP as well.

I agree when it comes to the humans, gnomes and such, but I beg to differ when we’re talking about tribal culture, or clan culture. Castes are one thing, but tribes and clans are almost in some cases different “races”. We’ve got the Grimtotem tribes, who many are distrustful of and prejudice against, because of their fur color being associated with things such as betrayal, wickedness and brutality.

I don’t deny that, playing a character with certain reservations towards the Dark Iron myself. If there’s an IC precedent for it, it’s okay in my mind. I also think it’s important to not shun other players simply for that they’re playing though, and I may risk sounding like I mix OOC with IC slightly, but if a Dark Iron player wanted to interact with me I would afford him and myself the chance to rp regardless of what my character should do, which might be immediately telling them to sod off.

Probably goes without saying but what’s a forum for if not for acting like reason is virtue.

6 Likes

Can you throw a source, because I’ve seen plenty of black-furred non-Grimtotem tauren NPCs all around and this never came up anywhere.

1 Like

That makes you about a hundred times better than the average ‘racist’ RPer, whom would not only blanket tell them to ‘Sod off’ but also call them a fun nick name like ‘Darkie’ while doing so.

Roleplayers that are cautious of the Grimtotem-looking Tauren, being black-furred, is what I mean. I mean, we’re talking about roleplay here. Perhaps there is an NPC out there that might be distrustful of a Grimtotem, but I don’t know as of now, at least.

After what they’ve done throughout the zones they are present in, and their attack on Thunder Bluff and wiping out a lot of people, almost an entire tribe, I think it is safe to say a Tauren character can be racist with ‘good’ reason towards them.

The mask slips, to reveal a racist!

2 Likes

No because black fur is wide-spread within other tribes, too. You made a pretty absolute claim here:

but it’s actually nothing backed up by any official source, just your own personal RP. You even presented it as an argument against the guy above.

2 Likes

Half elves deserve all the IC hate.
They’re apparently the rarest of the rare, but seem to spawn out of the moss growing on Stormwind’s walls.

8 Likes