[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

Elves.

You’d almost think that the characters are actually a really thin veil standing in for the player’s ego and as such instantly taking any risky or negative mention as an attack on their escapist self insert.

But surely, that can’t be it…?

5 Likes

That’s it! Next time I get called a “gremlin” or “imp” I’m startin’ a class-action against the lot of ya!

Us goblins don’t tolerate name callin’ of any kind; all we want is fa all you flea bags, stinky undead, fat ol’ cows an’ dumb elves ta put aside ya differences an’ realise that the color a’ ya skin or how ya look ain’t what’s important around here.

…Unless ya green… an’ fabulous.

1 Like

I get it, self-inserts and all are a thing… but she’s actually helping them by saying the grafitti isn’t allowed and that people who put it there will be arrested!

2 Likes

I think they took offense from the implication that anti-void elf sentiments are widespread at all (and thus being commented on by the crier).

1 Like

But… the crier is just commenting on what she sees IC? These people have probably not seen the rumor mill thread and assumed the crier’s player made it all up.

2 Likes

But like… they are?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/21/18188397/wow-world-of-warcraft-allied-races-story-nightborne-void-elves-steve-danuser-interview

I am not saying they aren’t, I am just saying they are probably annoyed by the implication since they probably RP their void elves as being totally accepted.

You don’t have to convince me. I don’t even play a void elf.

Yeah I know I’m just utterly befuddled by these people

Once we have that conversion ritual refined however…

Mad cackling for days.

2 Likes

The issue with racism is that people take it … Far. Far too far.

Nothing wrong with it done for reasons such as X’s parents are killed by Y and now they hate the race but… Random racism? Naw.

is all IRL racism strictly logical and justified?

2 Likes

No one is saying there is random racism. Infact its been pointed out multiple times that racism is part of the games lore. Characters always has their reasons, if they are good and bad.

2 Likes

I don’t mix IRL and games (fiction) so I can’t comment.

I don’t mean in the lore. I’m talking about IC. People do throw it around IC for whatever reason at times.

yeah you can you dit

is racism always strictly logical/justified? The answer is no. No it isn’t. This is a very easy thing to say, unless you disagree in which case I hold other concerns about you.

So then, why should discrimination etc in WoW be 100% justified before it’s okay? Why is it too far otherwise?

1 Like

Because it’s simply dumb, like IRL racism. There’s only so much you should take so far. I mean some dumb racism is fine but when it’s just “ree void elves/elves/humans/whatever!” and it’s spouted constantly it gets tiresome and unnecessary.

Some is fine just don’t over do it.

And RPing a dumb/incorrect character is bad because…?

(PS the example you mentioned doesn’t exist. Source: Haven’t seen it once in my past 5 days in Stormwind)

2 Likes

So we can’t rp flawed characters because it’s bad? But aint flawed characters the most fun because they create conflict.

1 Like

Never said RPing a dumb/incorrect character is bad and uhh I never… claimed to have a source? I’ve seen it done over time and it does exist. My point is that going over the top is too much rather than “Don’t do it at all.”

you saying it’s bad

:snake:

So you’re just making things up thanks

Then say those words instead

1 Like