[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

Yes, but a blood elf who is still fully associated with the Horde could walk up into Stormwind and be like; “I’m a High Elf, hello fellow Alliance citizens!”

And the guards are meant to take their word for it?

No, you’d keep an eye on any “high elf” that you haven’t seen before to make sure they are not a blood elf in disguise.

EDIT: because the main point is, there is no physical difference between the two.

1 Like

Can’t hide the orc poo smell

1 Like

It’s the same Alliance. It never stopped being a thing, some member nations moved in and out but at no point did it stop being a thing over the years.

2 Likes

But have we actually seen that happen lore wise? (As in towards the Void Elves after they joined the Alliance. We haven’t, just like the ‘procedures’ with Horde defectors.

The number of Void Elf NPCs in Alliance Armor’n serving in the lines without anything saying that they shouldn’t paints a interesting picture.

Instead we’ve seen that void elves were never accepted in the first place among the general population. They were canonically hated all this time.

3 Likes

Hm, pretty sure that the interview says that the population is wary at best - But nothing has materialized in any way be it in-game or comics since their introduction. No executions or rampant non-cannon riots like on AD.

Which is what people should go with.

True we should ignore all RP that ever happens because it isn’t canon.

(also the interview is pretty specific about calling them distrusted and maligned. That’s more than just wariness)

2 Likes

And as a result the void elves stick to the shadows, not go around socializing in the bar.

3 Likes

The Void Elves are popular with players, but in the universe of Azeroth, they’re maligned and stick to the shadows. In the Stormwind Cathedral, Void Elves players are either subtly threatened or politely asked to leave. “The Void is a terrible thing,” Danuser says. “It’s corruptive. [Stormwind] has seen people, including [their] own archbishop, turn against [them]. They saw what Deathwing did, and the Twilight cult that followed him. So to have someone presented to you as an ally is a jarring thing, and not everyone’s going to feel comfortable with that.”

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/21/18188397/wow-world-of-warcraft-allied-races-story-nightborne-void-elves-steve-danuser-interview
The interview itself is somewhat vague to exactly how Void Elves are treated, but they stick to the shadows as Telaryn says. That doesn’t exactly point to an arms-open welcome.

3 Likes

I’m massively curious on why it’s mostly Horde avatars championing this, however I’d once more say we have seen naught of this in any way or manner beyond the priests politely telling you that the Cathedral probably isn’t for them.

Where this supposed outcry? Beyond being uncomfortable as we continue to see Void Elves integrated into the SI:7/7th Legion and other Alliance organizations and fighting for said Alliance there’s even Blood and High Elves going to Telogrus and Alleria is pretty darn well renowned through the Alliance.

If Blizzard wanted it I’m sure they could at least have citizens throw bananas at them or be a bit afraid of the Velves. (But they aren’t.)

I’m an Alliance player =)

And the interview is the most recent source on the matter and therefore takes precedence, and even then it doesn’t contradict anything. Anduin literally tells void elf players that not everyone will accept them.

Don’t confuse military people who have to work with them and don’t have much of a say in the matter with the opinion of the general population who, as stated above, malign them and as a result made them stick to the shadows.

4 Likes

I’m massively curious about why it matters. Do I need to switch to a blue character every time the Alliance comes up?

True, Blizz dropped the ball as far as in-game representation goes, but the interview is pretty clear about it. Best leave it up to us, the RP community, to fill it in.

None of this means that suddenly the hivemind kicks in and everyone has to accept the weekly team switchers using the objectively worst magic.

1 Like

For me personally, i like posting on Croecell (a Horde character) because I a) have the most posts on her and perhaps more importantly b) because i have trust level 3.

But if you want me to swap to one of my alliance alts for a post or two, so be it.

1 Like

I also play Alliance, the character I largely use to post on the forums is pretty much irrelevant.

It doesn’t need to exist in-game for the evidence to be there. I can agree with the sentiment that it’d be nice if it was represented better, but the lead narrative designer’s input is a decent foundation to base these things on.

Not every character needs to be wholly informed or 100% objective about the entire setting. Your argument seems to be based on “if it’s not in-game it doesn’t count” which ignores that characters can have their own weird views that aren’t reflected in the setting or that input beyond what we see in-game matters.

Late addition, but as a FWIW, I don’t personally think riots and murders are particularly good RP, but I also don’t think the sheer quantity of Void Elves who treat their presence in the city as unanimously accepted is particularly good RP either. The issue is that one inevitably fosters the other.

4 Likes

This except I don’t have trust level 3. I have exactly 3 Horde characters of whom I only play one. The other two are Telaryn for forum posting and a potion seller NPC. All my other characters are exclusively Alliance.

I’ll switch to my blood elf if you do that.

They are distrusted and heavily criticised, or maligned. So they stick to the shadows. Does this mean they are attacked on the reg? No. But the distrust and their change in appearance makes them typically wish to remain on the fringes, rather than in every conversation going.
The thing is, standing on the fringes constantly probably fuels the fire. I mean, who are those weird elves watching me in the shadows, and why aren’t they at work? Mm

Add the on-going Void attacks in 8.3 and you’re basically throwing gasoline on the fire.

Why are these creepy Void corrupted people here when the Void is attacking us? How do we know they’re not responsible? The Void already corrupted the Archbishop and the Twilight’s Hammer attacked Stormwind in the past. What’s to say they aren’t Twilight’s Hammer again?

The normies don’t know, and in their ignorance already fueled by distrust and severe dislike, the circumstances in 8.3 are really stacked against the void elves. Public opinion’s bound to shift, and we already know it was never positive to begin with. People don’t have access to a copy of Chronicles IC.

2 Likes

As stated, only for 2 posts, since its easier for me to keep track of the conversation on Cro.

But hello, here is my alliance main i suppose?

And this whole mistrust of the void elves is perfectly legit for carl the farmer whose only knowledge of the void is it corrupted the archbishop and the twilight’s hammer was flinging it around.

Now there’s former blood elves here and they’re using it?

there, happy? Now from a blue background. (only the first sentence of the post was aimed at Coldshade)

5 Likes

Nice dwarf! How do you like my belf with a very original mog?