DIY Teldrassil - Darnassus

This has been my second biggest project ever. It took over an entire week, and was done in many, many stages.

I really wanted to craft my own Teldrassil and Darnassus, and originally the idea was “just” a few trees, colored in the same way.

But inspiration suddenly got a hold of me, and I started making the iconic tree in Darnassus, adding details like a mailbox, a gryphon, the Temple of the Moon, a boat, a small part of the dock, a Moonwell, profession signs, the Cenarion Enclave and The Howling Oak.

I went on a tour and picked “a few” of those things that resembles all the time spent there in the past. I made the Night elf crest, Darnassus Banner and Druid crest too.

It turned out way better, than I thought it would. (I genuinely thought I would have to place and replace the trees over and over to get it right! But first attempt was successful)

Let’s get started :slight_smile:

Gather materials! You are going to need…

Fake flowers/trees , depending on your budget. Fake trees are way more pricier, than I thought! So I had to go with fake flowers and added real tree stumps instead.

Some old tree stumps

Paper to print on (printer, of course, too)

Take screenshots , edit and print the images you want to add

Spray paint – Purple (or normal, but spray paint worked great). Normal dark brown paint.

Normal paint – I think I went with acrylic? Not sure it matters. I’m not a pro painter at all whatsoever! – Dark brown

A brush

Toothpicks to secure the trees, buildings and boats etc.

That flower “spunge” kind of material. Is it called flower oasis in English too?

A pot/jar of some kind to place it all in

Small ‘metal chain’ to use to hang the lanterns and profession signs in

Scissors

Super glue

Normal glue

Double sided tape

-----

Spray paint the flowers outside. This worked so great. I thought I’d have to paint over the purple with green, but the spray was landing in all the right places, and really made it look Teldrassil-y to me, with a little green here and there.

I originally was planning to add yellow to the top of them – a lot of the trees in Teldrassil have that – but I think the results looked good without, and I did not want to jeopardize that.

Paint the tree stumps and tooth picks. I thought, that I would use the tree stumps, as they were, but they looked way better with paint up against the fantasy trees, I think.

Tuck in the spunge oasis thing in the pot/jar.

Print the images you want. I made my screenshots into more painted kinds of images – it just seemed to make a better fit. Add a little extra carton on the lower part of the back center piece (The Temple of the Moon in my case), so you can stick it into the flower spunge thing.

Do not be confused about the screenshots; some of these images were not used. It got too crowded, I feel, so I had to be selective.

Paint the flower sticks, so it looks like wood.

Add the screenshot of grass/Moonwell, whatever you pick as “ground”, and tuck it around the flower spunge oasis thing :) I secured it with toothpicks in the sides, but I really didn’t have to. There will be plenty of toothpicks to secure it with from all the trees/decorations later on!

This little piece was the most time consuming for me; The iconic tree in Darnassus at the bank. (It’s also in northern Teldrassil)

I painted the wood, and cut a little piece of cartoon to look like the wings of the bird. I was really lucky to find a piece of tree stump, that looked like the tree in Darnassus. At least I think it does :)

I cut out the bear and bird and painted over them, just a little, to make them blend more into the wood and look more natural.

Lots of super blue and double carton to secure it.

Glue the metal chains onto the profession signs and lanterns.

Cut out the remaining decorations and glue the toothpicks on to their back. The Druid and Night Elf crest and Darnassus Banner are not getting a toothpick, as they will be placed up in the trees.

Put it all together! This is the satisfying part :)

Start with the center piece in the back (Temple of the Moon)

Then add the big trees.

Then the “bouquets” of flowers.

Then the decorations and buildings.

Finally, the lanterns in the trees, the profession signs and the crests and banner.

There you have it :)

I hope someone can use it as inspiration. :)

10 Likes

This is really cool! Well done. I really like the theme, especially the blossom theme.

You’re quite creative! Keep it up! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you very much, Kump :slight_smile:

I’ve been pondering for a while now, how to make another one of those and which city it should be of. I guess Darnassus just came so natural to me, I didn’t even have to think! :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

This is so well made, you are extremely skilled :hugs: :+1:

The details you have put into it are fantastic - those little signs are magnificent details :smiley:

I would love to see if you are inspired to make other little worlds :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, Moothilda! Those signs were a challenge to get just right, so thank you for noticing :slight_smile:

Yes, it was great fun to put together! I guess I know the town so well it was easy to determine, what I wanted to include in it. Every other capital would be harder. But hm, maybe somewhere like the Hinterlands, or another location I’m fond of. I’m thinking Duskwood for Halloween! :grinning:

2 Likes

Do a Zuldazar/Dazar’alor! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Duskwood is an excellent choice, if the theme is halloween :smile:

:open_mouth: Dazar’alor is a fantastic place

But Alunaria, when you decided to create this mini-world what was your inrpiration? :slight_smile:
Were you creating a Polly Pocket world, a place your char hangs out in/you go afk in :grin: or just a place close to your heart when it comes to areas in this game? :slight_smile:

I like to see the person an motivation behind things, fan fictions tell a lot about the writer, but your art piece are so refined and a lot can be hidden in your creation - so I’m sorry if I’m snooping :blush: :hugs:

2 Likes

I do not mind the curious approach at all, you are most welcome to ask! :slight_smile:

My inspiration came from a devotion to my absolute favorite race of them all, as well as a never ending love for nature. :seedling:

Having played nothing but night elves since the beginning, made the loss of Teldrassil in game cause this rebuild of it to happen; a version that Sylvanas can never burn! :wink: :fire:

And, I needed another homemade thing on our World of Warcraft wall!

How about you, what drives you? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:smile:
We gotta protect what we love :grin:

:sweat_smile:

I wish I had the creative mind like a lot of you do :slight_smile:

And I would love to have thought of making a tree like you did :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I guess I unfold myself best as a support character IRL too :wink:

Whenever my kids, nieces or nephews are expressing any passions about something, I swoop in and read up on anything regarding the topic to find the best way to support and then I can see how they put their thoughts into reality

I just love to see what can happen when people are allowed to express themselves :blush:

But I can reveal I like storytelling, and that’s why I have been part of living history groups… I am on a long break at the moment, I really hate when people have trouble knowing what year we live in and determine from an ethical point of view; wrong from right :confused:

But The Event and Fan Creation forum is my favorite here, I just love to see what everyone can and will do

https://data.whicdn.com/images/188191286/large.png

2 Likes

Thank you for the insight and sharing of thoughts, I appreciate that :slight_smile:

Never belittle the value and impact that someone, who is being supportive, can have. :cherry_blossom:

All too rarely do we spend our time building up instead of tearing down. :seedling:

Oh, I see. I can relate. This is one of few sections on the forums I visit frequently as well. This, the Druid one, and the story and roleplay section as well as my own server. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks very good! But honestly, for a moment, I thought you were going to show as a camp fire…

3 Likes

Thank you! Hah, actually I made a small sign to be placed in front of it with a match box and a big fat red cross over it accompanied by the text “No open fire near the tree!” :smile:

3 Likes

As long as Grim doesn’t come near it, I think it will do fine :smile:

1 Like

Oh, yes, I watched that recently! Good one :slight_smile:

Although, how about all the rumors concerning the part Nomi might have played in it…

No, too fresh is the wound, to sudden is the pain still. My beloved Teldrassil :heart:

:wink:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case, that bear destroys every ingredient I bring him :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.