Do the servers need an upgrade?

Instead of locking realm transfers and new character creations, blizzard profits massively while refusing to upgrade hardware

Yes, I did cite that.

I don’t think it’s the only architecture problem Blizzard have, but the rapid increase in server lag (quite different from PC lag or network lag) in BfA suggests that the huge increase in events the servers have to process was one big recent factor.

2 Likes

The amount of processing rises exponentially with the amount of players in one spot.

It’s not really solvable, even with better hardware.

On retail though there are some huge problems with when a combat reaches an actually relatively small size. Too many procs.

No it’s the rng on rng in rng wows game code where not built for layers upon layers of rng it will be gone in shadowlands.

I’m not talking items I’m talking the entire system.

So it looks like this:

Rng loot drop chance calculation
Rng class/spec loot calculation
Rng stat roll calculation
Rng azerite calculation for each tier.
Corruption rng chance
Corruption tier and damageNow when you put these on your character has too:

Base loot proc chance (if theilre is any)
Ability / proc interaction roll
Azerite proc chance roll
Azerite damage roll
Azerite / corruption balance roll
Corruption proc
Corruption damage roll
Corruotion/ability interaction roll

Then you have thencorruption /azerite / abilitilt amalgamation roll.

X however many players. It’s too much and it’s straining the srlervers to many if ls and buts

www.twitch.tv/videos/674542341?t=3h48m44s This seems to confirm it pretty much.

Edit: changed it to a simple link as it doesn’t seem to show the video properly here (at least for me it doesn’t)

1 Like

There’s many reasons why the servers lag so hard. Obviously the removal of snapshotting has made server-side calculations much harder. I think the packages players are sending and receiving now are much bigger and this will definitely lead to some lag. There will be CPU lag from having the servers with a tick rate of 100 (I think). Classic runs so much better because there’s so much less things going on there, player databases are much smaller, the game is much slower, which gives your CPU time to rest.

Meanwhile on retail with random haste procs you can get a GCD that’s like 1/3 of a second and be casting 5 spells per second without even using macros and there’s all these things… of course it’ll run like garbage.

But I think the first thing blizz needs to do is to take away some of the RNG from damage numbers. Have powerful gear, but have it not involve RNG. I would LOVE to see rng be removed from damage numbers all together but it’ll be a different game then.

I agree there is waay too much rng atm. Essences, corruptions, azerite gear, cloak, trinkets, enchants. I think ALL of that could go away. Just leave in spec procs that gameplay is based on and remove the gear procs. This would greatly reduce the information that has to be transfered.

Apparently it is nothing to do with server capacity or your pc or Internet connection but more around how spells, movements, deaths, hits, crits etc… all batch together and communicate with the server. Apparently it is not very efficient at all and Blizz have been working on cleaning uphow that all works.

I am sure this isn’t the only reason but is definately a big contributor.

2 Likes

By the way I was thinking how much server load is due to addons? We all remember when Blizz changed how the AH worked to avoid TSM users lagging it out, but just think of how many addons are constantly interacting with the server? And also using too many addons definitely bogs down your CPU. I’m sure the “addon lag” is insignificant compared to the spell proc lag, but any MMO is very much CPU heavy and it can definitely cause you to lag out if your CPU can’t handle all the calculations going on. It’s why I turned off almost all addons. I now only run details and bigwigs.

Also I might be stupid in thinking this and addons have nothing to do with it.

Knew that had to be the case. Most notable in Ashran before the player count nerf.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.