Do you guys think fire mage is fun?

is it good right now and do you guys think its fun for pve/pvp?
I’m looking forward to your opinions!

cheers

S-tier in terms of performance for both pve and pvp

very enjoyable to play in pve: tons of mobility, insane damage, good execute that can be performed while moving, relatively easy to play but hard to master (rotational mistakes or lack of knowledge will punish your dps very hard, thus leaving a lot of room for improvement)

unenjoyable in pvp… at least for me, since i know how much fun playing mage used to be. the current playstyle is unhealthy and no fun, even if performance is S-tier. i should mention that this is coming from a rated arena perspective - fire can still be fun for casual pvp especially for someone just starting out

Whether you enjoy a rotation or not is a very subjective question, meaning we can’t really tell if you’ll enjoy it or not. However, the rotation is pretty smooth from an objective standpoint if you roll with Night Fae (as you should).

1 Like

I do not like the playstyle of fire at all, all that proc based mechanism makes me feel like the char is playing me, rather me playing the char. But this is just my impression / opinion. But it’s one of the most popular specs atm, so I’d suggest you give it a try.

2 Likes

You play frost?

I honestly hate fire mage… But it’s mostly the community around it.

“Oh you play mage nice, guys we got a fire mage lets go do our +16!”

“Guy’s im not fire but i can do the same…”

• You have been Removed from the grp. -
14 Likes

No you can’t. But it surely wont make the difference between timed and not timed run.

I hate this as well. But oh well, i’d rather play a spec that i actually enjoy and perfom good at it, rather than play meta spec and do mediocre damage simply because i dont enjoy it and cba to master that spec.
Btw, their are many mages out there that rolled fire because of meta but they do less dps than a frost/arcane mage.

1 Like

Its fun and viable but not as fun and challenging like it used to be before WoD. Modern WoW is not designed to be hard to master, sadly.

1 Like

I prefer Arcane, fire as a play style really isn’t for me. I’m going to be taking a break from mage though as Arcane isn’t really wanted in SLs for M+ or raid PUGs.

Will be maining my afflict warlock going forward, with some prot warrior play on the side super casually.

Besides, Blizzard will only start fixing Arcane as a spec when player numbers of it drop enough. So I’m going to help that along.

Honestly, in pug-level keys where packs are pulled one by one, a good frost will likely outperform the average fire mage you’d get in lfg around this key level.

3 Likes

I was kicked out of RBG pugs for this reason more than once. This is annoyting as hell.
Even though kyrian frost can literally oneshot people with Glacial Spike and (as all frosts since ever) can permaslow flagcarriers.

No. MoP fire mage, now that was fun.

3 Likes

Not really i only play Fire Mage because there is no way a pug will take a frost mage or raiding as frost is considered a valid spec. I love frost mage but i switched to fire last 6 months of BFA i started as frost in shadowlands even have the aoe leggo until i got to 10 or higher M+ keys i was forced to switch fire again. Every single group would remove me once thy inspected me and noticed i played frost.

Cata and Wrath was the pinnacle of Fireplay. MoP was good too but too easy.

I don´t care, this game is dead and buried for me. MoP fire mage was the best. Cata was the best for a lot of specs though.

Fire is trash on its own. DPS god when combusting, hunter pet when outside combustion. Only while on night fea’s live support (previously it has been bracers+font+essence), it is becoming ok. So its pretty much locking you up, to one covenant, which is sucks. Very overrated spec to be honest.

It was the only spec I didn’t wanna play going into playing mage. Mainly because fire related themes in WoW are my least favorite.

But since Fire Mage is meta atm, I decided to try it out.

At the beginning I didn’t get it… Arcane and Frost have better CC in my opinion, and I simply saw it as “the more bursty glass canon spec”.

But when I finally learned the rotation properly, it now is very fun fast spec to play. I still hate the fire theme :sweat_smile: but at least I see why it’s played now.

PS:
From what I gathered online, these are the main reasons for playing the different specs, based on how the specs are designed (not considering “the meta” and that all three specs are equal in the meta). Not that anyone asked for this, but I thought it was interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Fire = When you have a healer and YOU are the main dmg (Arena 3v3s, BGs).

Arcane = When you wanna PvP without a healer (duels, WPvP, BGs).

Frost = When you are supporting your team with CC, and you are NOT the main dmg (Arena 3v3s, BGs)

And yes sure you can play all 3 specs in any scenario :slightly_smiling_face: but these are the strengths and weaknesses based on how the specs are designed from a pure utility and spells point of view.

I really don’t like fire. Only trying it because no more chance to go myth without it.

Yes it is.

Fire is a lot of fun, good damage, good survivability and nice CC here and there.